Weber Summit B4 Restoration

I took like a couple pieces out, but most need more time. I cut the slices a bit larger than the 1/4" called for, as such I let it marinate an extra day. The recipe calls for 6 hours, but I'll see where I end up.

I used an ancient piece of bottom round steak that was in the freezer. I was going to use some really nice sirloin steaks, since it was the same price, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_5457.JPG
    IMG_5457.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 2
Getting the heat right is the hard part. I used a piece of foil to stick a thermometer probe in there at 160°F.

The pieces on the top rack cooked way too fast so I brought them down, but at least they'd turned hard so I could set them vertically and save space. Had to move a bunch of pieces around on the grill... the top cooks better than the bottom. Fortunately the temperatures are low enough that I can just use my fingers... and snack a lot lol

Ok, I've got a few fat stragglers I didn't pull off the grill yet, but here's what I have from what I believe was a 2 or 3 pound piece of select bottom round. It's slightly more salty and peppery than I'd like, but that's probably due to the extra day of marinating I did... maybe I went a little bit hard on the pepper.

Overall, I'm amazed how good it tastes, especially for a first shot. Damn. Good grill.

Next time I'll use even cheaper bottom round steak, I'll slice it thinner, and maybe hold back on the pepper a little bit.

Attachments

• IMG_5460.JPG
    IMG_5460.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5463.JPG
    IMG_5463.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5462.JPG
    IMG_5462.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 9
Consider pork the next time. It is a lot less expensive, relatively lean after you trim the outsides and works great. Tenderloins or chops are great for jerky.

Why do you say it is fire. Was one of the ingredients in the marinade hot?

The Pastrami has been going since about 2 o'clock this afternoon. I just wrapped it and am entering the stall.

I found out something really interesting, the grates are about 60°F cooler than what the dial indicates, at least when smoking at a low temperature.

While the pastrami was going dinner happened. Since I was smoking anyway, I decided to smoke a cauliflower for an hour. Right before the hour was up, zucchini and steaks landed on the grill.

IMG_5476.JPGIMG_5477.JPG

Sorry for the poor quality pictures, my phone camera lens has some **** on it.

After dinner the pastrami reached the 160° mark and got wrapped up for the stall. Fingers crossed I don't end up with a miserable dry crunchy mess.

Also I left the jerky in a jar in the kitchen, and....

IMG_5480.JPG

I'm really falling in love with this grill.

OK so tell me more about this pastrami. I want details on how you make it. Did you start with a commercial corned beef, or just exactly how are you making this hunk o beef into one of my fav things

OK so tell me more about this pastrami. I want details on how you make it. Did you start with a commercial corned beef, or just exactly how are you making this hunk o beef into one of my fav things
Hah

Umm... Well...

It's actually a piece of choice flat I had in the freezer from the last time brisket was on sale for $2.50/lb. The point is long gone...

I'm actually going big dick on this and cured it myself... I used meathead's guide on making corned beef, boiled the seasonings together... and on new year's day set it to cure in a vacuum bag. Yesterday night I pulled it out and let it soak in water, and this morning I prepared meathead's rub and stuck it on the grill...

It's at 185-ish°F internal temp as of writing... It's no longer smoking, I have the two side burners on medium-low for about 300°F on the grates

IMG_5482.JPG
IMG_5481.JPG

Pretty interesting. I tried doing this once on my Wolf. What I got was a somewhat "tasty" piece of leather. But now that I own actual smokers I am thinking about trying again
The carbon monoxide in smoke contributes to the process. I've gotten pretty good results on the gas grill... but I'm awaiting what might be my magnum opus.... patience.... the temperature is slowly ticking up to the 203°F mark.

Back