Weber Summit B4 Restoration

And the damn thing is leaking propane -_-

I had tested it in the garage while putting it back together, sprayed soap and water, thought I took care of all the potential leaks, now I had it attached and smelled the distinct smell of propane (technically whatever it is they put in propane)

Going to have to check agian.
Mercaptan is what's used in propane and natural gas. Aka the leak smell. It's better to know its leaking and fix it now.

Beware of what you buy. LP grills run on 11"WC pressure which is substantially less than .5 PSI and many regulators are being sold running 1 PSI or higher yet they look like one for a regular grill appliance

Beware of what you buy. LP grills run on 11"WC pressure which is substantially less than .5 PSI and many regulators are being sold running 1 PSI or higher yet they look like one for a regular grill appliance
Well I ordered the home depot one recommended on the sticky. Worst case I think I'll manage to get a regulator. Hopefully it keeps the pressure not too high so I get good granularity for smoking once all is said and done.

Also ordering the grates recommended by the sticky. Looking forward to having this grill finished. Hopefully it lasts for a decade to come and cooks as well as I hope it does! The only thing it's missing is a smokebox, but uin the used game, beggars cannot be choosers!

Another quick update:

I just made some smoked pulled pork (even with the original manifold). If I set a single burner on low (on top of which I place my thing of chips), the grill will maintain 300-330F indicated.

Overall this worked really well. I really wish I had the dedicated smoker burner on my grill, as I have to remove one of the grates in order to maintain the smokeage. Actually it would be truly fantastic if I had the smoker burner, and would make the grill perfect for my purposes... I doubt someone would pay $700-$1k for a restored grill like this though.

Anyway, the end results were really good except the bottom of my pork didn't cook as well as it could have. I already pulled it but I think I have to give it some additional oven time. Next time I might use on of the center two burners instead of the far left burner, placing the pork on the right side.

Hopefully once I get the new manifold I'll have the granularity I need to dial it in.

I wonder if you could just buy a set of SS solid rod grates and cut off the right side 3-4" of on half and just drop the smoke tube on top of the flavorizer bar against the side of the cook box. Then simply grab it with some tongs or hook and pull it out and refill it and put it back. Basically use the smoke tube in place of the dedicated smoker box.

I wonder if you could just buy a set of SS solid rod grates and cut off the right side 3-4" of on half and just drop the smoke tube on top of the flavorizer bar against the side of the cook box. Then simply grab it with some tongs or hook and pull it out and refill it and put it back. Basically use the smoke tube in place of the dedicated smoker box.
Exactly and by having the smoke generated from under the grates it's more effective

I can just overlay the grates by 2" or so, maybe flip one over, and have access to the smoke box w/o losing too much.

The issue remains that the bottom wasn't hot enough, even though the thermometer indicated 300 when I really needed about 270

Got some updates:

Even with the overpowered manifold, I found I could get a consistent 270°F indicated (perfect for smoking) by using a pot of water to eat some of that heat.

Got some pork ribs and some brisket. The problem I've noticed is that while the middle/top of the grill has the right temperature, the stuff is undercooked on the bottom. I could either raise the meats up, or maybe once the propane manifold is in, have it on low. I need to figure this out, b/c this is the 2nd time it's been an issue while trying to smoke meats.

I have the manifold on order, along with the tank scale in the correct orientation. The issue is the side burner probably also needs an LP manifold, but weber doesn't list it on their parts diagram for the LP grill.

I need the side burner on low: I rendered the tallow in the kitchen and it stank up the place, but when I remembered I had the side burner and tried it, suddenly it started burning.

All that said this grill is AWESOME. Having the side tables is a game changer, having that much grill space is also awesome. I will be VERY happy once everything is in and put together, and hopefully this will last me a LONG time.

Also weber sent me a replacement lid, but neither the color nor anything else match the original. I don't know if they accidentally sent the wrong one, or if they're just sending different newer flimsier lids as replacements. Once I get the motivation I'll cal them and speak with them.

One more thing, I have a rotisserie and bracket, but one of the bolts for the rotisserie bracket rusted off and I need a replacement. Weber doesn't list this part on their website, I could just use a regular bolt, but the one from weber has a non-threaded portion that goes inside the grill. I also need a generic rotisserie bar that will fit the Summit B4.... Does someone have a recommendation?

Last edited:
IMG-4711.jpg

Wondering why you don't simply post photos right here instead of through a 3rd party site? Otherwise looks good. I know Chris busted his butt to get us the ability to simply put photos right here so there is no need to open a secondary web site to view

Idk what to say.

I've busted my butt finding a good image host, taking, uploading, and posting high quality images. I've often found that image hosting on forums downsizes or otherwise manipulates the pictures to be lower quality. Most forums don't want to pay for the bandwidth, and some outright don't have a feature to upload images for that very reason.

I used my own image host because while doing research on grills, before registering for the site, I got the message that I needed to register in order to view images. I didn't like that, figured it was a question of bandwidth, and uploaded the images myself so anyone else can see them without having to register or being logged in.

I've also been on forums where the attachment management UI is so terrible it's simply easier to do it myself... so I have my own streamlined system for uploading images. I've also seen terrible forum UIs for displaying images, especially on mobile devices. I like to keep it simple, and BBCode or HTML is about as simple as it gets.

It's possible postimages.org will go the way of photobucket, and the images will be broken, idk. Maybe I'll have to pay in future. I've never encountered a forum that specifically asks me to host the images there. I can also crosspost images I've already uploaded as well, as opposed to uploading them to two different places. As I said, idk what to say. In future I can upload images directly, but I wanted to keep it consistent in this thread at least.

It's just so much easier to view. Images hosted elsewhere have to open a new page either requiring a new tab or new window, then the "back" button, or finding the place you were. It's as easy as drag and drop done

The OEM propane manifold has officially shipped! Should get here Wednesday! Excited.

It's coming together, now I'm looking for a gray paint for the lid and the plastic pieces. Krylon has the high-heat max in "aluminum" color, but idk what that means. It's supposedly high gloss, and a reviewer said it was matte. I don't want high gloss for this paint, and I have no clue what the color might look like. Maybe just spend the $15, have it, and test it?
Otherwise are there nice paint recommendations?

I'm also tempted to upgrade the castors, although I don't move the grill around much or at all really.
Inspired here: https://tvwbb.com/threads/genesis-caster-upgrade-at-less-than-half-the-price.82701/
But being a 2-castor 2-wheel design, I'd need to match the old castor heights. Any recommendation? Also, how did people insert the generic castors? Don't you need a plastic insert thing?

I know I have used the Aluminum Rustoleum High heat on a Q grill, but I can't find any photos now. Here is one that I did with the Copper version. I would not call it High Gloss or even Gloss. Probably Satin is the best description. The Aluminum comes out very similar in the sheen.

20160830 Weber Q200 Grill - After (2).JPG

You can go to an auto parts store as they usually have a good collection of high heat paint. That is where I found a blue to match a kettle I had.

Back