Weber Summit B4 Restoration

Sam, I have seen them that way as well. It could be that they use the same magnets as a Genesis E3xx. In that case, they might be available on several online sites and almost surely from Weber.

Sit. Rep.

Detailed update to follow, intermediate question:

When I spoke with Weber, they were adament that the grill I have is a Natural Gas model based on the serial number.
Now I'm looking at my burners and they all seem a bit high/aggressive including the side-burner with very little granularity between the low and the high setting. Also the propane tank weighing device faces backwards when installed.

Pictures of supposedly "low" and "high":

Does this seem correct? I did dismantle, clean, and re-lube the dials (I used dielectric grease). So far no indication of leaking.

Someone may have jerry rigged it, or someone may have actually done a true conversion. Back in the day Weber sold the parts at their dealers to change the manifolds out. But the symptom you describe is of someone who simply tried to swap orifices for LP onto a NG manifold and usually the result is what you see

Someone may have jerry rigged it, or someone may have actually done a true conversion. Back in the day Weber sold the parts at their dealers to change the manifolds out. But the symptom you describe is of someone who simply tried to swap orifices for LP onto a NG manifold and usually the result is what you see
So a classic symptom of a poor conversion?

What do I need to do this properly?

I checked the sticky, and I found the propane manifold is part #: 82626.

Last edited:
Oh, I thought swapping the orifices was “the way” to convert a NG manifold to LP, or vice versa. Are you saying the actual manifold itself could be different?

Oh, I thought swapping the orifices was “the way” to convert a NG manifold to LP, or vice versa. Are you saying the actual manifold itself could be different?

It sure sounds like someone did an orifice swap on it. The backwards facing tank scale is a pretty solid clue as well.
When I cleaned/lubricated the dial assemblies, it actually looked like the natural gas orifices based on this picture:

orifice-comparison-jpg.23123

So maybe someone did a conversion without swapping the orifices. Would a simple orifice swap work, or do I really need the propane manifold?

Ahhh, so it could be a difference in the valves too it sounds like

If my 1st Gen Summit curb pickup is actually originally NG and someone put an LP hookup on it I’m gonna be very sad. Won’t know until I see the orifices I guess

Quite curious to hear how you made out with the machine shop. Either way, cool grill and excellent project

When I cleaned/lubricated the dial assemblies, it actually looked like the natural gas orifices based on this picture:

orifice-comparison-jpg.23123

So maybe someone did a conversion without swapping the orifices. Would a simple orifice swap work, or do I really need the propane manifold?
That's how I should have phrased it. The answer to your question is I don't know. It seems there haven't been too many success stories on swapping the orifices because the valves are often different as well.

In most cases on a Weber the valves themselves are different so you will need an entire manifold for the fuel you want to run. The condition you have at least is not "dangerous" but, if you had an LP someone tried pulling this off on with orifices only you could have flameouts and so on. Which could be dangerous. It's what happens when people watch YouTube and then believe the lies

And the damn thing is leaking propane -_-

I had tested it in the garage while putting it back together, sprayed soap and water, thought I took care of all the potential leaks, now I had it attached and smelled the distinct smell of propane (technically whatever it is they put in propane)

Going to have to check agian.

And the damn thing is leaking propane -_-

I had tested it in the garage while putting it back together, sprayed soap and water, thought I took care of all the potential leaks, now I had it attached and smelled the distinct smell of propane (technically whatever it is they put in propane)

Going to have to check agian.
Bummer, hope it's something easy!

I've ordered the replacement manifold and tank scale from grillspot.com

The guy on the phone couldn't tell his head from his *** (I'm pretty sure he was in a part of the country where marijuana has been "legalized"), so hopefully the order actually goes through.
I'll sell the existing manifold (after finding any potential leaks) and tank scale somewhere online, assuming someone might be interested.
I'm at least $500 into this behemoth and more hours and stress than it was worth, but at this point teutonic stubborness and sunk cost fallacies are taking over. I'll make a thorough update once I'm finished.

It does look good though:

Back