Weber Summit B4 Restoration

More progress, more pieces coming apart:

Next step is to remove the top, and then I'm unsure how to get the cookbox out and separated.
If I can get it out and separated though, I can just bring the entire thing to the machine shop and ask them to do their best for a given budget. I'm also ask about replacement flavor bars. I haven't heard back from Dave yet.

What I thought were nuts in the cookbox aren't actually nuts but some sort of holder clip things or something. I'm going to see if my local screw supply store has replacements

Update:
Got the cookbox out. I don't think I can fit the whole unit in the car, so I'm going to have to take it apart it seems.

Ok another update: I'm simply editing this post instead of making a new post, but this will be the last edit:

I got the cookbox apart. There's some sort of adhesive holding the pieces in. I'm going to take the pieces that I can to the fab shop to see what they can do for me for a reasonable price. I feel very optimistic about the front piece, but the rear piece is a lot larger. Regardless, this will make cleaning this whole thing a lot easier.

Last edited:
That orange stuff is simply high temp RTV. You can find it in black, gray, orange. Depends on the brand. But any of them will do the job. Saw you mention high temp JB Weld. First if you do that I would do it on the outside of the main cook box, but, in any case I am unsure how much faith I would put on it.

That's fantastic. Do you remember which broil king wheels you got? I believe the wheels are Weber #63050 which are 8" wheels.
I found Broil King Part #: BCP10892-8NG on ebay and amazon for $40.... each o_O

So update:
I spoke with Weber and it's still in the air if they can warranty the lid. It's taking some arm-wringing it seems.

Then there's the cookbox. Honesly I see no reason I can't just patch it with a piece of sheet metal and some high temperature JB weld across the full length:

[ur=[URL]https://i.postimg.cc/gG37h0n4/IMG-3586.jpgl[/URL]]
IMG-3586.jpg
[/url]

There are a number of ways I can do this, the easy way: take a flat piece and run it across the whole thing, and then the hard way: remove the bad pieces and somehow make a replacement.
If the cookbox can be dealt with, then everything else can fall into line.

One question: the burners when I tested them had a yellow-ish flame. I remember reading that Weber says this is normal? And that when the flavor bars and all that are installed, it works out? Should I adjust them? I mean, actually... why not. I have everything open now.
I didn’t want to fix it twice so I drilled and bolted with SS 1/4-20x1/2” machine screws. I have a stainless steel wire wheel, I went over all of my burners, but they were only a couple of years old. The flavorizers might have a year left in them, I looking to make a replacement for them.

I didn’t want to fix it twice so I drilled and bolted with SS 1/4-20x1/2” machine screws. I have a stainless steel wire wheel, I went over all of my burners, but they were only a couple of years old. The flavorizers might have a year left in them, I looking to make a replacement for them.
Broil King Wheels

Attachments

• DD423A4B-35AD-41D1-92B5-6B7C1690768D.jpeg
    DD423A4B-35AD-41D1-92B5-6B7C1690768D.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 7
I just got all the suspect parts, including the flavorizer bars, dropped off at a machine shop. They'll give me a quote. At a minimum I'll have them make me a new front cookbox piece, but depending on what they're asking, I might have them just send the whole thing. I asked them to repair the existing parts that are problematic.

Hopefully what the guy quoted me over the phone is correct, but he might have misunderstood what I needed. We'll see.

Is there any sort of covering on these cookbox parts? Paint or something? Once I get the confirmation that these parts can indeed be serviced, I'll get all the rest of the parts ordered and also start cleaning everything with the pressure washer and elbow grease.

I just got all the suspect parts, including the flavorizer bars, dropped off at a machine shop. They'll give me a quote. At a minimum I'll have them make me a new front cookbox piece, but depending on what they're asking, I might have them just send the whole thing. I asked them to repair the existing parts that are problematic.

Hopefully what the guy quoted me over the phone is correct, but he might have misunderstood what I needed. We'll see.

Is there any sort of covering on these cookbox parts? Paint or something? Once I get the confirmation that these parts can indeed be serviced, I'll get all the rest of the parts ordered and also start cleaning everything with the pressure washer and elbow grease.
The OEM is porcelain coated in and out. YOu cannot apply paint inside a cook box. Best to see about making out of stainless steel

Darn son if you can pull off getting new pieces made of SS at a reasonable price you need to ask them if they'd be interested in more production. I'll lay odds it would be the saving grace of so many Summit owners. Though it will be hard for them to make up tooling since Weber turned the Summit line into a 3 ring circus with that generation. 4 burner, 4 burner with smoke burner, 6 burner with even more configurations. It would have been FAR better if they made 2 configurations 4 burner decked out and 6 burner decked out and been done with it. Of course it would have been even better if they hadn't cheaped out on the materials

The thermometer I have is broken, this one from tel-tru is the only one on their website listed as recommended for Weber grills, and also came recommended on this site.

When I check Amazon though, I see a lot of other thermometers by tel-tru, but they seem to top out at 500 or 550°F which isn't really enough.

The glow-in-the-dark one looks pretty cool, albeit it's pricey.

I'm stuck on the temperature gauge.... I've spent like 1 hour looking at various options.

I don't like the new weber bezel, it's too large. tel-tru says the thermometer should be 1 3/4". Weber's 67088 OEM is 2 3/8"? Apparently it's a 2018 model that's upgraded or something. Weber's 67717 Bezel is ugly, large, and not original (2007 onwards). Looking at pictures online, you see a nice, small, and clean bezel.

I could go bezelless and choose a larger thermometer?

I'm stuck on the temperature gauge.... I've spent like 1 hour looking at various options.

I don't like the new weber bezel, it's too large. tel-tru says the thermometer should be 1 3/4". Weber's 67088 OEM is 2 3/8"? Apparently it's a 2018 model that's upgraded or something. Weber's 67717 Bezel is ugly, large, and not original (2007 onwards). Looking at pictures online, you see a nice, small, and clean bezel.

I could go bezelless and choose a larger thermometer?
Yes, the bezel on the current Summit IS very large. Whether you like it or not I guess depends on your taste. I actually salvaged one and put it on a Genesis Platinum because I liked the larger thermometer and temperature range vs. the stock one that came with the Genesis. But after I did that, I kind of regretted the look for the same reasons you mentioned.

I think you should see if you can get the bezel/thermometer for a Genesis II which I think would be more like your original Summit.

Haven't heard back from the machine shop on the broken parts which is making me slightly nervous.

I went ahead and ordered a replacement thermometer. All the parts I could fit in, I put into the dishwasher and put it on it's super duper toughest cycle. The rest will have to get taken care of by the pressure washer and elbow grease.

Back