Weber SmokeFire vs. Traeger competition

I thought this video might be interesting and kind of along the Weber vs Traeger so why not add Pit Boss. Please I know nothing about pellet grills but because I am retired plenty of time to get educated so I'm sure there are plenty here who could tell me they are junk or whatever. Its a 2018 video so its a bit dated, both Lowes and Walmart sell Pit Boss, what I really found interesting is if you look in the comments section supposedly Joe Traeger and his son work for Pit Boss.

This grill also has a sear deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-YKQsQkJpY

I may be wrong but I don't see the grates being that big a deal with oven like temperatures vs. blazing hot grilling temperatures. Even the SmokeFire with it's ability to grill steaks etc. isn't going to reach the temperatures of a kettle with a full load of charcoal at the grate level.
With Traeger having the biggest slice of the pellet market Weber is going to have one steep hill to climb and the do it all grill may end up being not the best at some of it.
I will admit Weber has done it's homework and they have addressed some of the inherent problems of the mainline pellet grills.
Also their limited availability only sold at a few retailers doesn't give them the exposure that some of the others have.
Going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

Rich,

I meant to reply to this earlier. I think you are right that in a smoker's relatively low heat environment the need for stainless grates is less compelling. My Rec Tec has stainless, though, and I admit that I DO like that. Very easy to clean, and I don't worry about them rusting.

For the Weber SmokeFire, they are definitely pushing the higher heat steak searing. So, for me, I would want to replace those lower grates with middle of the road stainless - Qlimetal or Hongso - because I think they would last a lot longer and work better. I think it would be 50 bucks well spent as an upgrade. For the upper grate, that would only be used for low and slow and removed when grilling at high heat. So, I think the "stock" nickel-chrome plated one, if cared for properly, would last for a decent amount of time. In my climate that might mean cleaning well and storing in the house. For you in "RustFree" AZ staying outside with maybe some cooking oil coating would probably be all you need to do.

Jon,
Your approach is spot on, the Camp Chef has a coated grates on the lower and bare stainless on the upper. When I did the ribs I forgot to spray the lowers, but the clean up took less than 3 minuets. If I was in a humid environment like you good quality stainless would be the only way to go.
I just pulled out the cast iron grates the skyline came with that I stored under the cabinet in the E320 well over a year ago and they look still like new no rust at all.

Wide open with my Austin LX pitboss I have hit 625 with the searing cover closed and turned to highest setting, I can sear about 3 good sized ribeyes with the plate open so its no big event cooker for searing. what I do like is smoking low to about 125 then sear , great flavor imo

Mike,
So when you sear on that Pit Boss, is the fire pot directly exposed open to the grate above, or is there still something between it and the grate?

I have seen some mods for my Rec Tec to get a small high heat searing zone like you mention. When you consider that on my Rec Tec, there is a heavy stainless shield/deflector directly over the firepot and then the whole grill interior is covered by another very heavy stainless grease drip tray/heat shield, it is little wonder that it tops out at 500 degrees. However, I guess I worry about exposing the firepot to falling grease.

Using flavorizer bars that allow small openings for heat and with only one large flavorizer as a shield between the firepot and grate is what allows the Weber SmokeFire to deliver higher heat. I would not personally want to remove either of the shields on my Rec Tec because that is how it safely distributes heat, protects the firepot, and manages grease.

jon, how's the grease mgmt on the Rec Tec working out for you?

Well, while I do not like the messy bucket (and have had mishaps more than once with it) the actual grease drainage does work very effectively. They recommend you cover the heavy stainless sheet with aluminum foil and change it out every other cook or so, depending on how greasy the food you cook is. That works great and being good stainless the large shield/drip tray cleans up fairly easily. Even with foil it does get the patina of use, however. That doesn’t matter. I also like the stainless grates which clean up very easily after a couple bbq sessions.

We did our first and I think last high heat cook on the Camp Chef last night. Not that it didn't do a great job it's that I didn't buy it to be a grill more of a L&S smoker.
Here's the link if your interested.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?79772-Strip-Steak-on-the-Camp-Chef

That’s pretty cool, Rich. Can’t quite follow in the pictures what is between your firepot and the cooking grate. Looks like a metal version of those ceramic pyramids.

Big question: So, did the steaks taste more like charcoal grilled than when you do them on a gas grill?

That’s pretty cool, Rich. Can’t quite follow in the pictures what is between your firepot and the cooking grate. Looks like a metal version of those ceramic pyramids.

Big question: So, did the steaks taste more like charcoal grilled than when you do them on a gas grill?

That is a very good question. The pellets I used were apple and to be quite honest I didn't notice any difference between the charcoal and the pellets, asked Barb and she said the same couldn't tell any difference.
But you're dealing with two 70+ year old taste buds. But I'm still very happy with the Camp Chef.
What's between the fire box and the grates is a louvered tray that covers the whole area between the grates and the fire box area and drains the grease to the bucket.

Rich,
Some people say they cannot tell any difference between gas and charcoal, but I certainly believe I can. So, if your Camp Chef delivers charcoal grill flavor with gas grill ease, then that sounds pretty good to me. My Rec Tec is a great smoker (used it again Sunday - see Larry’s post about his ribs), but it doesn’t seem to me to be capable for steak. The used one I bought came with all the extras including several sections of GrillGrates. Maybe I will give it one good try - perhaps with a higher ratio of charcoal pellets which supposedly burn hotter. I just hate to waste steaks and steak money on a flop!

You are correct that when pushed all the way, pellet grills do start really going through pellets! Mine have lasted way longer than I expected, but I use it as a low and slow bbq machine only.

Jon,
Like I said in the steak cook I only did the steak as an experiment to see if it worked as advertised, and it did. I won't do anymore high heat cooks on it, to me it's not a burger/steak cooker it's a replacement for the WSM for L&S. As a L&S smoker so far I'm very pleased as an example it's 18* here and windy no way would I try and do a rack of ribs on the WSM but the Camp Chef yes, dial it up and go inside and wait for it to get done. No chasing temps in the freezing cold.

Jon, I got Grillgrates for my Rec Tec Mini and tried the steak thing and wasn't happy with the results. The Mini only got up to about 480°. Now they're relegated to searing Jerk Chicken and they work fine for that in a pellet grill. I'm getting less and less enamored with the sear function in a pellet grill which keeps the Rec Tec RT590 high on my list of things I would love to have but won't spend the money for. I don't think my Craigslist Camp Chef is going anywhere soon.

Most of us have a stable of cookers so the "do all" pellet grill doesn't carry the allure that it will with someone who wants only one cooker. The Smokefire seems to do an excellent job of covering all the bases and will develop a following if it lives up to the hype. Even if it takes them a year to get their App right I think the faithful will stick with them.

Yes the plate opens up rite above the pot, sorry I got side tracked lol ,I been eyeballing the new masterbuilt 560 , My pitboss may never break, its been going almost 2 years without any major problems so far. another $500 cooker will put me in the dog house again but the Weber would get me a dayvorce lol

I made a deal with the boss (Barb) that I would sell whatever it takes in grills to recover the cost of the Camp Chef. Exceptions are the performer, my Gen 2000 that I bought new in 1998. and the E320. Leaning toward keeping the mini I built because with the smoky joe base and top I can use it as a grill for burgers and dogs.
Thats why I didn't order a SmokeFire at $1000 I don't know if I could recover the cost at under $500 for the Camp Chef that's more doable.
It better be or my butts grass and Barb's going to be the lawn mower.

I've had a Timberline 1300 since it launched. In terms of build quality, it's great. Very heavy duty stainless grates. The dual wall cooking chamber is decent. Good seals on the doors and overall it it's a nice looking smoker.

What I hate about it is the controller. They've released a D2 version, but I have never used it. When I asked if I could buy the parts to upgrade, they said no. I had numerous sooting issues with the original version and still do. I also have issues with it heating is very slowly, so you need to plan ahead if you need to get things smoking in a timely manner. They updated the firmware, making it worse and better, but never resolving the sooting issues or the slow warmup. Using the super smoke feature always produces black soot because the run the fan too slowly, thus allowing the fire to burn uncleanly. The app has always been pretty good and I've never had any connectivity issues. I've had to remove hard parts from the cooker to make it perform better based on their support, something I've never had to do with any other brand I've owned and I've owned a lot of them.

It was and still is frustrating to me that they had a cooker which runs very even in not only temperature stability, but the evenness of the temperature within the cooking chamber. They just failed with the controller and its programming. I will never buy another Traeger product after the crappy service I received from them. Once my SmokeFire EX6 is up and running, I'm going to sell the Timberline. The D2 version may be a lot better, but they sure burned us early adopters and we're now abandoned from any updates to the firmware. Lastly the smoke flavor is pretty mild even for a pellet cooker, even when using Lumberjack 100% Hickory.

David,

I had a D2 Pro and they had temp issues. It was running 80-100 degrees off at 400+. Numerous people were posting on a FB group about the same problem and Traeger was telling us all when we called we were crazy. I don’t think too highly of their support. The grill got returned and the next day they released a firmware update fixing the problem that never existed :rolleyes:

David,

I had a D2 Pro and they had temp issues. It was running 80-100 degrees off at 400+. Numerous people were posting on a FB group about the same problem and Traeger was telling us all when we called we were crazy. I don’t think too highly of their support. The grill got returned and the next day they released a firmware update fixing the problem that never existed :rolleyes:

Yup. Sounds like the Traeger support I know and "love". Though now that I got my Weber EX6 and it came with no hardware to put it together, I'm reliving my Timberline experience all over again. lol

Back