Weber Pizza Oven?

Its a slippery slope. You can cook good pizza lots of different ways.

I don't want to come across as elitist or arrogant so I apologize if it comes across that way.

I really like pizza, and it is is a carb-loaded treat for me. My goal is to be able to make it at home as good or better than I can get anywhere. I'm not there yet but I'm going to keep at it.
I agree 100% with everything you’ve written here. If the quest to replicate an old world or premium restaurant quality pie from my gasser rather than committing to adding yet another uni-tasker appliance to my arsenal is elitist then sign me up. I’m sure my borderline obsession with tomato varieties, olive oils, and artisan flour measured to the gram would come across as arrogant to some as well. Ask me if I care? There’s a world of difference between a refrigerated dough and Ragu sauce from the mega grocer pizza and the next-level eats I’ve seen some of the folks around here crankin’ out. I want into that club, but I’m not there yet either.

My goal is to replicate the lake side pizza I've eaten at Il' Forno in Italy. We've gotten awfully close on the Wolf

So what did that grill set you back?
$150. I have more in the grates and the over sized gas line than in the grill LOL I picked up for $150 back in 2015 IIRC and in the time I have had it only had to buy a new gas line and the new grates from Dave Santana. Other than elbow grease it's needed nothing. I do need to get new heat tents (flavorizer bars) for it. Made contact with Dave for new ones, he was down with CV19 nd told me he'd get back to me but I have not heard back yet. So that will be the only other $$$ needed. It's a tank

I'm pretty sure the Genesis II e325 has what it takes to make a decent pie and I don't doubt for a minute an Ooni or similar doesn't do it better. I have thought about firing up the Akorn to do pizza but that's a time eating process when the Weber gasser is just 3 steps out on the deck from the kitchen and take seconds to fire up. I believe with tinkering and testing what some here have suggested, I can get to an acceptable level. I know that's subjective but pizza is a food with a wide range of styles and opinions on which is best run the gamut. My baseline is Star Tavern in Orange, NJ and the pizzas I've had in Switzerland (Lugano) and Wiesbaden, Germany...those were made by Turks in Italian restaurants.
If I can get reasonably close to either...mission accomplished.

Would all you pizza cookers agree that cooking the top is the harder nut to crack?

Seems like there's so many ways to cook the bottom that work well. And very easy to speed up or slow down the bottom cook -- like using/not using a screen or metal pan.

But getting the top cooked correctly and on time seems like what all the fussing and gadgetry is about.

Would all you pizza cookers agree that cooking the top is the harder nut to crack?

Seems like there's so many ways to cook the bottom that work well. And very easy to speed up or slow down the bottom cook -- like using/not using a screen or metal pan.

But getting the top cooked correctly and on time seems like what all the fussing and gadgetry is about.
It's a great question...makes one wonder if these type gadgets are worthwhile: Check this out! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZLX9W1/?tag=tvwb-20

Or the one @TomRc has:kettlepizza-gas-pro-deluxe-set.jpg

Last edited:

Precisely why I love having my Wolf. That IR burner gets the top done just like the surround heat in a good wood fired oven. Not sure what I would do if I did not have the Wolf. Guess I would either skip grilling pizza, make something, or buy some specialty item

I've burnt tops before the crust was done and burnt crusts before the top was done. The more I thought I "knew" well, lets just say I learned I didn't.

If I were at your house making pizza, I'd use your S330. I'd get an 1000F degree infra red thermometer and see how hot the stone is compared to the lid thermometer temp. I'd move the stone up away from the grates crank it all on high for 30 mins and see how hot the stone is. The grill therm will probably be up around 650F If the stone is about the same temp cook away. You can use dough with AP flour and sugar and it probably won't burn. put a digital clock by the grill so you can see how long it takes to cook and every time you open the lid, you'll lose some heat.

I've made good pizza on my E330, but I burn through a bit of propane running full hot. Since you have NG the cost is less.

let us know how it goes.

Can't wait to see how you like it. I was looking for rotisserie components yesterday on FB and I ran across this listing. Then I remembered this active thread and wanted to see if anyone had opinions about this particular one.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/702082988293930/
I take delivery on Sunday.

If everything looks ok I’ll take it for a test spin.

I noticed there are different configurations of these for gas and charcoal grills.

The one I bought is specifically for gas grills but will probably work with my kettle.

The ones made for charcoal kettles don’t look like they will work with my 17” deep rectangular gasser.

I take delivery on Sunday.

If everything looks ok I’ll take it for a test spin.

I noticed there are different configurations of these for gas and charcoal grills.

The one I bought is specifically for gas grills but will probably work with my kettle.

The ones made for charcoal kettles don’t look like they will work with my 17” deep rectangular gasser.

That's my understanding as well, which is why I wasn't too concerned about the FB listing since I don't have a 22" kettle. I'd have to get the same one that you ordered.

Jay -- I tried the Bakerstone box for a while on my Silver B. Fairly similar to your new toy.

The Silver was a bit under-powered to really get the Bbox hot enough. And it was a little too large for the Silver grilltop (Silver lid would not completely close over the Bbox). I think the Bbox would have done much better on the 330 (more BTUs, larger grill top, lid fully closed).

After I CL-ed the Bbox, I found a screaming deal on the Kettle Pizza Gas lid. Works meh on the Silver; works quite well on the 330. The lid helps cook the top. And if the bottom is lagging behind, you can put the pie on the top of the lid. Which cooks the bottom very fast without over cooking the top.

Only problem -- $350 or so delivered for the basic kit. The lid is verrry heavy. At that price level, a mono-cooker pizza oven seems to make more sense.

How come this video of a newer genesis shows it only goes up to 550 F? I'm pretty sure the one I picked up hits 700F no problem even in fairly cold weather. Is this a feature or a bug?

Back