Weber Pizza Oven?

It will sit directly over 3 burners...2 conventional with a sear in the middle...plus the 3rd conventional burner...all on high. That's a lot if BTUs.
I get your point about IR burners but few grills have them anymore. No Webers I know of.
These things were made to address uneven cooking of the pie...i.e. crust is done and crispy but toppings and cheese not done enough or vice versa or some combination thereof in some order. Do they do what they're supposed to do? Will find out in relatively short order.
Looking forward to seeing results both ways. I am very interested to see how the technology actually works (or doesn't). Hopefully you will try both and report actual results.
As I indicated earlier I have no need for one for a couple reasons. One, I would not buy a newer Genesis, and 2, because I have a great pizza cooker already.
But, as a true pizza lover I enjoy the "craft" and am always interested in how the craft can be elevated for everyone.
So yeah definitely. Report on performance, photos, taste and so on BOTH ways with or without the device

I just bought one from Amazon...this one: Eventek Infrared Thermometer, -50°C~550°C (-58°F~1022°F) IR Laser Thermometer, Non-Contact Digital Temperature Gun for Kitchen Cooking,BBQ,Chocolate,Pizza,Industrial Red/Black【Non-Body use】 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L5FTQMS/?tag=tvwb-20

The "high precision sensors from Germany" sealed the deal😉
Watch for sales. I have a really nice and actually very useable and from my testing quite accurate IR thermo. Got it on sale at Menards a number of years ago. But it works incredibly well.

I don't know about everyone else, but I just don't see the need to buy $100 worth of accessories to turn your Genesis into a Pizza oven.
@LMichaels
But, if you want to, that is OK with me. 🤷‍♀️

Looking forward to seeing results both ways. I am very interested to see how the technology actually works (or doesn't). Hopefully you will try both and report actual results.
As I indicated earlier I have no need for one for a couple reasons. One, I would not buy a newer Genesis, and 2, because I have a great pizza cooker already.
But, as a true pizza lover I enjoy the "craft" and am always interested in how the craft can be elevated for everyone.
So yeah definitely. Report on performance, photos, taste and so on BOTH ways with or without the device
It will be a bit of an odyssey but I'll grab pics and share as I go. I doubt you'll see much "elevation" of the craft coming from me though!

I don't know about everyone else, but I just don't see the need to buy $100 worth of accessories to turn your Genesis into a Pizza oven.
@LMichaels
I am all for making something better if I can. Really curious and watching with great interest.

This recipe works well for me. I've used it at temps over 800F without burning and did well at 650F to 700F too.

@LMichaels
I found the need for a stainless shroud to hold heat right over the top of the pie instead of allowing it to vent out the back when cooking on my Genny. If you've got a secret to achieve this without spending the dough (pun intended), I'm all ears. Otherwise, the $150 I've invested will continue to deliver exceptional results and remain far below the expense of any quality stand-alone unitasker pizza oven.

Tom: I simply put the pie on a metal pizza pan and put it in my Genny. Maybe my tastes are not quite as refined as many, but it works fine for me. $10.

This recipe works well for me. I've used it at temps over 800F without burning and did well at 650F to 700F too.

Screenshot and saved. Thank you, Sir.

I found the need for a stainless shroud to hold heat right over the top of the pie instead of allowing it to vent out the back when cooking on my Genny. If you've got a secret to achieve this without spending the dough (pun intended), I'm all ears. Otherwise, the $150 I've invested will continue to deliver exceptional results and remain far below the expense of any quality stand-alone unitasker pizza oven.
So you have 1st hand use of these types of shrouds? Do you close the grill lid in use or leave it open? You guys are almost piquing my curiosity to get some of the sheet metal I have in the garage leftover from making my fireplace surround and fab one up, throw it on the Genny and see what happens. But I would do it on a day I could fall back on the Wolf :D
FWIW obviously the technique I use on the Wolf only works with the lid down. But, the heat that comes off an IR burner is more "instant" than off a regular burner.
Back in the day, I had picked up an old Ducane (the kind that was a real Ducane looked like the Broilmaster), only mine had a rotisserie burner with a tray above it for wood chips. The burner was not an IR but a conventional burner.
We did some Zas in it and it was not bad either though not as good at it as the Wolf

So you have 1st hand use of these types of shrouds? Do you close the grill lid in use or leave it open? You guys are almost piquing my curiosity to get some of the sheet metal I have in the garage leftover from making my fireplace surround and fab one up, throw it on the Genny and see what happens. But I would do it on a day I could fall back on the Wolf :D
FWIW obviously the technique I use on the Wolf only works with the lid down. But, the heat that comes off an IR burner is more "instant" than off a regular burner.
Back in the day, I had picked up an old Ducane (the kind that was a real Ducane looked like the Broilmaster), only mine had a rotisserie burner with a tray above it for wood chips. The burner was not an IR but a conventional burner.
We did some Zas in it and it was not bad either though not as good at it as the Wolf
I can't imagine having the lid open. It seems counter intuitive to me.

Mine is a shroud similar to the Kettle Pizza one. See post #78 for my first mention of it. I couldn't get the top of the pies done to my satisfaction due to loss of heat until I made the switch. With the shroud in place, it now cooks evenly with the bottom. FWIW - I've used the same setup on a Silver B and a front control Spirit E-310 and the Spirit cooks more quickly for whatever unknown reason. I use it with the lid closed at all times regardless of the grill. The shroud I purchased (on etsy) came with a wide back lip on it to help it sit nice and flush on the grates. I actually wound up cutting about 1/2" off this lip to be able to close the lid on the Spirit because of the more tapered angle to the front of the lid. I haven't tried the IR method you use, but I have the Vieluxe available now and will probably have to give it a whirl sometime for comparison.

Question: can pizza stones be stored outside? I dont want the thing cracking before i even use it. Will be 10 tonight but climbs to the 40s for the next week after...I'll live on the edge and leave it out. Fits perfectly underneath.20230203_151104.jpg

Last edited:
I image the shroud collects the heat rising from below and concentrates it inside the shroud just above the pizza. It would have to be wider than the pizza itself to be effective.
It does seem like a good theory for those who feel they need more heat concentrated above the pizza.

Back