Weber Pizza Oven?

The lid thermometer is not to be trusted. If you really want accurate you get a grate level thermocouple. Not a bimetal spring up in the hood. Lid temps are about as useful as locker room bragging

I have read natural gas does not burn as hot as propane gas.

Not sure what the grill in this video is running.

I have read natural gas does not burn as hot as propane gas.

Not sure what the grill in this video is running.
Don't believe what you read. It has less energy per cu ft but jetted correctly burns every bit as hot. Things like that are spread by people who only understand half the facts

The lid thermometer is not to be trusted. If you really want accurate you get a grate level thermocouple. Not a bimetal spring up in the hood. Lid temps are about as useful as locker room bragging
I get it, the grate level temp is probably lower. The only thing I wonder about is why his thermometer says 550 and mine says 700, they seem to be in the same location. Unless one is off by 200 degrees (I just replaced it too).

My 2016 E330 gets above 600F. I seem to recall 650F making pizza. The 2016 E330 is 48000 BTU. A genesis II E310 is 39,000 BTU.

Well, I found one of these OnlyFires on FBMP for $45 brand new...no box and missing the handle for the peel but I have two of these folding peels so no issue. Fits the E325S perfectly. It's dropping to 10 degrees tonight so a classic beef stew is tonight's menu, not pizza...will give it a test run soon enough.
Couldn't find a user manual online except for the Weber kettle version. That one says to keep the lid off/open. I can't imagine that's the case with a gasser. 20230203_111450_HDR.jpg20230203_111911_HDR.jpg20230203_112636_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Somehow I miss the point of these things
For $45, I'll be the crash test dummy. I believe they get hot enough with the stone for a good undercarriage while gathering and redirecting heat evenly over the top of the pie. I think it will work well but with a learning curve.
I plan to experiment between the stone and my recently purchased steel, which fits inside perfectly. One of them will be relegated to beach house duty on the Broilmaster.

Last edited:
Somehow I miss the point of these things
I think the point is to keep heat in on the top of the pizza while being able to see it. Every time the lid opens the heat is lost.

edit: @Jay D in Jersey ->> Do you have an IR thermometer? I posted the one I have earlier. It goes up over 1000F. I think that grill is 39K BTU? 13K main burners 10K sear? If so then you'll have 29K BTU directly under the stone so it will get plenty hot. It will be interesting to see if the top of the pizza gets done in time.

Last edited:
Well, I found one of these OnlyFires on FBMP for $45 brand new...no box and missing the handle for the peel but I have two of these folding peels so no issue. Fits the E325S perfectly. It's dropping to 10 degrees tonight so a classic beef stew...will give it a test run soon enough.

Jay -- I think that should work well. Having it over on the sear burner side should help get it hotter faster. And also being able to close the grill lid completely during the heat up. Once up to temp, you may not need all of those BTUs once you start actually cooking.

I bet I would have kept my Bakerstone Box if I'd been test driving it on the 330 rather than the Silver B (smaller, less BTUs, no sear burner). The Bbox gets rave reviews from Meathead (why I bought it). But I don't think my Silver B was big/hot enough to get the typical results.

Does that Only Fire have any insulation? One reason why the Bbox needed so much heating up was that it had stones on the sides and top. In theory that should be great for pizza cooking, but that's a lot of stone to heat up.

Last, you might want to remove your flav bars for pizza cooking. No reason to restrict the heat flow from the burners up to the stone.

Last, you might want to remove your flav bars for pizza cooking. No reason to restrict the heat flow from the burners up to the stone.

I think the stone will get plenty hot with the Flav bars. I did a double stack with two stones and an air gap because the stone over the two main + sear on my E330 was maxing out my old thermometer, somewhere above 700F.

I think the point is to keep heat in on the top of the pizza while being able to see it. Every time the lid opens the heat is lost.

Correct.

And also to get heat flowing up from the back, and then over the top, and then out the front. Which is how it flows in a real pizza oven.

The issue with the regular lid on a gas grill or kettle is that it is too high/roomy to deliver the heat to the top of the pie. Which is why you see people boosting the pies higher up into in the grill lid (i.e. "doming"), using top stones/steels, or (as Larry can do) blasting the pie with a topside IR burner.

Last edited:
The heat source being so far away, and it covering such a small percentage of the grill, if these are designed to be used lid up you're still allowing better than 60% of the grill surface to be opened to the air. I have no dog in the show because I have the Wolf. Anyone else who has a grill with a rear IR burner can do the same. I guess I would like to see results on the same grill done with no apparatus and with it. Unless it's a direct comparison in the same conditions the whole thing is anecdotal.

edit: @Jay D in Jersey ->> Do you have an IR thermometer? I posted the one I have earlier. It goes up over 1000F. I think that grill is 39K BTU? 13K main burners 10K sear? If so then you'll have 29K BTU directly under the stone so it will get plenty hot. It will be interesting to see if the top of the pizza gets done in time.
Thanks @DanHoo . I'd like on of those IR thermometers...Ill check it out. I agree about the temps over the two regular burners and sear burner with flavorizers in place. I fired my Weber without the flavorizers in the summer. It was approaching 700 in under 5 minutes with all burners on high.

Well, I found one of these OnlyFires on FBMP for $45 brand new...no box and missing the handle for the peel but I have two of these folding peels so no issue. Fits the E325S perfectly. It's dropping to 10 degrees tonight so a classic beef stew...will give it a test run soon enough.

Jay -- I think that should work well. Having it over on the sear burner side should help get it hotter faster. And also being able to close the grill lid completely during the heat up. Once up to temp, you may not need all of those BTUs once you start actually cooking.

I bet I would have kept my Bakerstone Box if I'd been test driving it on the 330 rather than the Silver B (smaller, less BTUs, no sear burner). The Bbox gets rave reviews from Meathead (why I bought it). But I don't think my Silver B was big/hot enough to get the typical results.

Does that Only Fire have any insulation? One reason why the Bbox needed so much heating up was that it had stones on the sides and top. In theory that should be great for pizza cooking, but that's a lot of stone to heat up.

No Sir. No insulation. It looks like decent grade stainless. Thermometer looks decent...don' know how necessary it is.
As mentioned, I don't think it necessary to pull the flavorizers...crispy crust...yes...charcoal crust...no.😁

The heat source being so far away, and it covering such a small percentage of the grill, if these are designed to be used lid up you're still allowing better than 60% of the grill surface to be opened to the air. I have no dog in the show because I have the Wolf. Anyone else who has a grill with a rear IR burner can do the same. I guess I would like to see results on the same grill done with no apparatus and with it. Unless it's a direct comparison in the same conditions the whole thing is anecdotal.
It will sit directly over 3 burners...2 conventional with a sear in the middle...plus the 3rd conventional burner...all on high. That's a lot if BTUs.
I get your point about IR burners but few grills have them anymore. No Webers I know of.
These things were made to address uneven cooking of the pie...i.e. crust is done and crispy but toppings and cheese not done enough or vice versa or some combination thereof in some order. Do they do what they're supposed to do? Will find out in relatively short order.

Etekcity Infrared Thermometer 1080, Heat Temperature Temp Gun for Cooking, Laser IR Surface Tool for Pizza Oven, Meat, Griddle, Grill, HVAC, Engine, Accessories, -58°F to 1130°F, Yellow

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G/?tag=tvwb-20
I just bought one from Amazon...this one: Eventek Infrared Thermometer, -50°C~550°C (-58°F~1022°F) IR Laser Thermometer, Non-Contact Digital Temperature Gun for Kitchen Cooking,BBQ,Chocolate,Pizza,Industrial Red/Black【Non-Body use】 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L5FTQMS/?tag=tvwb-20

The "high precision sensors from Germany" sealed the deal😉

Back