Weber Pizza Oven?

Hmmm… I might need to reach out to a metal fabricator…
The metal fabricator custom making something or another for grills is a common theme here but has anyone ever done it...for what and was it worth it vs something avaliable from an online retailer?
I've not done it because honestly, it's a PIA and finding one willing to do what you want isn't easy and I wonder about cost efficiency. I've ordered dimensional steel/iron products online successfully...yes, shipping is a cost for sure, but one I'm willing to pay.

Last edited:
Meathead's post below pretty much covers the whole ground when it comes to grilling pizza on a gasser -- stones, steels, cast iron, screens, pizza pans, etc.

Seems like the biggest issue with gasser pizza is getting the top cooked. Not cooking the bottom.

Meathead has an interesting set up to handle that -- using a stone above in addition to below. The Bakerstone box is a good non-DIY product for doing this.

Personally I like the Kettle Pizza Gas Pro lid. Spendy (I got mine on a super duper close out) but works well.

Of course the broiler in your kitchen oven is the probably the best tool for top cooking.

What is this?

Have a link?
AKA RCPlanebuyer. If you've been around you may recall until all these manufactured "shortages" happened he used to make grates for grills and also still does make other parts like flavorizers, Z brackets and such. He made me a custom set for me. Really tight spacing for my Wolf. I use the Wolf for pizza because it solves the issue of over cooking the bottom and not cooking the top. It has a big IR rear burner and it gives fierce heat. So with the heat from under and the top thanks to the rear burner I get some great pizza. I tried doing pizza on the Summit and on the Genesis but always failed.

The metal fabricator custom making something or another for grills is a common theme here but has anyone ever done it...for what and was it worth it vs something avaliable from an online retailer?
I've not done it because honestly, it's a PIA and finding one willing to do what you want isn't easy and I wonder about cost efficiency. I've ordered dimensional steel/iron products online successfully...yes, shipping is a cost for sure, but one I'm willing to pay.
I work in an architectural woodworking shop and we have suppliers who will do a one off for a decent price- but I would guess my idea of a decent price would be a non starter for many others.

I am interested in making pizza on the grill, gasser or charcoal.

I need to think about it, make some cardboard mock up, CAD drawings and get some quotes.

To be continued…

I wonder how hard it would be to cobble together some off the shelf parts into an old grill body and turn it into a top notch pizza cooker? Maybe get an IR burner or 2 and fit into the lid of an old Genesis or some such grill. I may have to work on this

I work in an architectural woodworking shop and we have suppliers who will do a one off for a decent price- but I would guess my idea of a decent price would be a non starter for many others.

I am interested in making pizza on the grill, gasser or charcoal.

I need to think about it, make some cardboard mock up, CAD drawings and get some quotes.

To be continued…
I've cooked pizza on all of these:

Electric oven on a stone
Genesis silver B on a stone
BGE on a stone
Genesis E330 on a stone
WSK on a stone

And recently, in an Ooni

Ooni wins.
WSK in second
BGE And E330 tied for third
Elec oven next
Silver B last

I've cooked pizza on all of these:

Electric oven on a stone
Genesis silver B on a stone
BGE on a stone
Genesis E330 on a stone
WSK on a stone

And recently, in an Ooni

Ooni wins.
WSK in second
Elec oven next
Silver B last
If I had more room I might consider an Ooni, but one gas grill and one charcoal grill are about as far as I am willing to go space wise.

We are a pizza making family and I like using the grill during the summer months.

The stainless shroud is an interesting idea but I don’t think the rectangular shape would work on the WSC.

Thinking about it some more, I am wondering if I could find a commercial type stock pot on the cheap and just cut it up to make a round shroud that would work with both my grills.

Anyway, i like putting ideas out there to see if someone has a new approach.

Guys, I simply dump the pizza on one of those inexpensive ($5) pizza trays that have holes in them. Then I preheat the grill to about 400 and set it on the grates. 10 minutes or later and its done.

If I had more room I might consider an Ooni, but one gas grill and one charcoal grill are about as far as I am willing to go space wise.

We are a pizza making family and I like using the grill during the summer months.

The stainless shroud is an interesting idea but I don’t think the rectangular shape would work on the WSC.

Thinking about it some more, I am wondering if I could find a commercial type stock pot on the cheap and just cut it up to make a round shroud that would work with both my grills.

Anyway, i like putting ideas out there to see if someone has a new approach.
What gas grill do you have?

Guys, I simply dump the pizza on one of those inexpensive ($5) pizza trays that have holes in them. Then I preheat the grill to about 400 and set it on the grates. 10 minutes or later and its done.
Getting the crust and toppings done at the same time is a bit of a challenge on the gasser.

Haven’t tried pizza on the WSC yet.
What gas grill do you have?
Genesis 1000

Haven’t tried pizza on the WSC yet.

I was making good progress making pizza on the WSK E6, however the unexpected gift of the ooni reset my focus.

Pizza on the WSK is more work than on a gas grill, and more work than on the ooni.

getting the top cooked on a gasser was my main challenge. I tried moving the pizza up closer to the top of the lid. and that helped.

Another approach was to stack two stones with spacers. The air gap allowed me to run the burners on high and get lid temps up around 650F. I used the feet from the BGE as spacers, but there are other spacers that can be used.

20210531_200048-jpg.34958

Ooni wins.
WSK in second
Elec oven next
Silver B last

My Silver B just doesn't have enough temp oomph to do well at pizza.

I've gotten much better results with the E330 when using the Bakerstone box or the Kettle gas steel cover. The extra sear burner helps.

Without an extra tool, I finish the pie under the oven broiler.

Its a slippery slope. You can cook good pizza lots of different ways.

I don't want to come across as elitist or arrogant so I apologize if it comes across that way.

I really like pizza, and it is is a carb-loaded treat for me. My goal is to be able to make it at home as good or better than I can get anywhere. I'm not there yet but I'm going to keep at it.

I was making good progress making pizza on the WSK E6, however the unexpected gift of the ooni reset my focus.

Pizza on the WSK is more work than on a gas grill, and more work than on the ooni.

getting the top cooked on a gasser was my main challenge. I tried moving the pizza up closer to the top of the lid. and that helped.

Another approach was to stack two stones with spacers. The air gap allowed me to run the burners on high and get lid temps up around 650F. I used the feet from the BGE as spacers, but there are other spacers that can be used.

20210531_200048-jpg.34958
This worked well for me, using an old set of flavorizer bars

It directed heat away from the bottom pizza stone to the lid.

The pizza cooked sufficiently well on the bottom and top.

But I am a tinkerer by nature.

0990BF21-DE9E-4EC8-BABE-6C1DE2CEFD84.jpeg

Back