Weber Pizza Oven?

John is that stone made of metal?
Pampered Chef brand

Is some type of clay.

We used to have two, but one exploded inside the oven when it was put in to heat up but hadn’t fully dried from a rinse.

Quite surprised- it was in at least 10 pieces.

Like I said, those pizza stones are around 20 years old- when my boys were little, my wife’s moms groups were into those get togethers.

We got our money’s worth out of this thing though- still does a great job.

Last edited:
You guys are reminding me that if I don't make up some dough, I can't have any pizza. I've been smoking and freezing quite a bit of the leftovers recently (today it was some serious jalapeno cheese stuffed meatballs but more snack or appetizer), so dinners came from the WSM or from the freezer for grilling. I've got quite a backlog of things I want to fix, but pizza has pretty much been longest absent and top of the list. Need to put the smoker away...

@John_NJ , like you, it's normally thin crust, but I think it's time for something chewier more crustful. That still leaves some choices, doesn't it?
That’s the interesting thing about pizza- it can be anything and still be good.

We are partial to white pie with broccoli in our house-

Ricotta cheese, fresh garlic, steamed fresh chopped broccoli, mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and extra virgin olive oil in that order.

I have been experimenting making pizza on my Genesis 1000 and I am not getting good results with melting/ browning the cheese and toppings.

I have tried different temperatures and cooking times, raising the pizza stone higher/ closer to the inside top of the lid and am not getting great results.

I was cleaning my grill this morning and I had an idea- make a removable tray to fit where the drip tray fits and use it as a final “browning/ crisping station for making pizza, similar to a broiling burner in a conventional oven.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

I know the burner tubes are facing the wrong direction but wondered it I could get enough heat.
If you have a Weber Kettle or a WSM, I suggest you buy a rotisserie/pizza oven mod. I got mine on Amazon for $162. I've used it often and it makes great pizza. The oven gets up to about 700 degrees in the kettle; pretty amazing. The pizza comes out crisp, piping hot and the cheese is perfectly melted. Here are a few pictures. I hope this helps.

Multi-Purpose Stainless Steel Rotisserie Ring Kit for Weber 22 1/2" Kettle and other Similar Grills​

Attachments

• 20220520_121307.jpg
    20220520_121307.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220520_121408.jpg
    20220520_121408.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220520_121315.jpg
    20220520_121315.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220520_121319.jpg
    20220520_121319.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 12
This is a good thread and got the gears turning in my head. What I have done on my kettle was take and old lid, cut out a slot to slide the pizzas on and off the stone and attached a 20 inch pizza pan to the ceiling of the lid. This is the “cooking area” and is is only about 6 inches high and the pan redirects the heat directly over the pizza.

I am just mentally spit balling it here but For those with a 13 bar cook box, like some one mentioned a few posts up, take a layer of flavorizer bars out and put the stone on second layer. They use a cooking sheet to put over the stone to create a false roof. This will redirect the heat to the top of the pizza and hopefully cook more even. It would even make the “cooking area” smaller thus quicker to heat up with higher temperatures.

I use a thick piece of marble directly on the grates to cook pizza. The key is to heat the stone up really really hot. I preheat for about 30 minutes and use one of those laser thermometers to check the stone temperature. The hotter the better. I have a genesis 3000 (same internals as your 1000) and I try to get the stone up to 500. It takes a while to heat it up that hot but I get all the pizza cooking abilities I want when I get it good and hot. I’m mired in dough making challenges now, I’m going to get bread flour for my next attempt.

I have to thank you again- I have gotten my pizza making mojo back officially- made 4 pizzas tonight and the Genesis 1000 is a basic pizza oven beast!

F7FEE7F3-C735-4571-BD08-EA64B186FBD5.jpeg5ED3F2ED-838F-449B-AE1B-363F11E2265F.jpeg
A05DB183-4F22-4683-B4C4-70687A91C2FC.jpeg
E67CBA0A-B510-4EBB-BC65-033C4A45EE6F.jpeg

Those pies look fabulous! Yeah, I’m my experience a good preheat is crucial! Looks like you agree!

There's a lot of different ways to cook the bottom -- stones, steels, grates, pizza pans, cast iron pans, etc.

On a Genesis gasser, I find the trickier thing is cooking the top adequately.

Easiest thing to do there, frankly, is just to use the broiler in your indoor oven.

Otherwise, you have to DIY some kind of dome. You can prop up a second stone or steel using a few bricks. The Kettle Pizza Gas Pro (which I have) works really well too -- basically a stainless steel lid that goes over the pie. Pricey -- so see if you can find one for sale or on FBM/CL.

There's a lot of different ways to cook the bottom -- stones, steels, grates, pizza pans, cast iron pans, etc.

On a Genesis gasser, I find the trickier thing is cooking the top adequately.

Easiest thing to do there, frankly, is just to use the broiler in your indoor oven.

Otherwise, you have to DIY some kind of dome. You can prop up a second stone or steel using a few bricks. The Kettle Pizza Gas Pro (which I have) works really well too -- basically a stainless steel lid that goes over the pie. Pricey -- so see if you can find one for sale or on FBM/CL.
The problem browning the top of the pizza is why I started this thread.

I remember many years ago making pizza on this grill with success. Recently I made pizza and wasn’t getting it right, browning the top in the broiler.

Tim @THyde suggested just getting the grill as hot as possible- H-H-H for around 15 minutes with my old clay pizza stone got the job done.

About 8 minutes from raw dough and toppings to crisp (thin) crust and browned cheeses on top.

Pretty easy actually.

About 8 minutes from raw dough and toppings to crisp (thin) crust and browned cheeses on top.
My experience is that the hotter the stone / surface you're cooking on, the faster the pies cook. The caveat is, if the stone is under about 400 degrees, none of this works. I always think about how in a commercial pizzeria, their ovens are around 700 to 800 degrees, so I like to try to get close to 500 at a miniumum. But that means the stone has to be really hot too, so the crust and the top cook. When I get the Genesis lid temperature at maximum temp (it goes off the scale of the thermometer) and the stone is over 400 degrees I get great results. If either temperature is lower, I don't. I like all of the ideas about cooking with the stone right on the flavorizer bars etc. but for me, I like to have the stone on the grates so I can slide the pies off the peel and onto the stone without dumping all of the cheese and toppings on the stone. Peel release has been a challenge to overcome, as has preheating the stone and cooking temps. I just open it all the way up and it has served me well. Once the whole grill is super hot, the stone is over 400 and the lid temperature is "pegged" then it's just a matter of slipping them off the peel, give them five minutes, turn them once and then probably two or three more minutes.

I've often wondered about these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088M7C9KR/?tag=tvwb-20

??

Jay -- I had a Bakerstone, which works quite well. Price isn't too bad new, and I was able to find one for less on FBM/CL.

Has stones on top, bottom and the slides. Has a slot in the back so that the heat can flow up and over and out the front (like how a real pizza oven flows).

It was a bit of a tight fit on my old Silver B and the Silver B had a hard time getting the pizza box hot enough. Worked much better on the bigger and more powerful Genesis 300. Could fully close the grill lid over the pizza box, which definitely helped the pre-heat.

When using this or any pizza stone/steel, seems to work better if you remove the flav bars and just have the burners directly heat the underside.

Only draw back is the you are limited to a 12-13 inch pie.

The reviews look decent.

If you have a pizza stone, it might be worth a try trying to cook a pizza on the grill by getting it as hot as possible before sliding the raw pizza on the stone.

But if that doesn’t satisfy, I would try that pizza oven attachment out- I think Amazon has a pretty good return policy if it doesn’t work as advertised.

I've often wondered about these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088M7C9KR/?tag=tvwb-20

??

Jay -- I had a Bakerstone, which works quite well. Price isn't too bad new, and I was able to find one for less on FBM/CL.

Has stones on top, bottom and the slides. Has a slot in the back so that the heat can flow up and over and out the front (like how a real pizza oven flows).

It was a bit of a tight fit on my old Silver B and the Silver B had a hard time getting the pizza box hot enough. Worked much better on the bigger and more powerful Genesis 300. Could fully close the grill lid over the pizza box, which definitely helped the pre-heat.

When using this or any pizza stone/steel, seems to work better if you remove the flav bars and just have the burners directly heat the underside.

Only draw back is the you are limited to a 12-13 inch pie.

How long did it take to cook the pie?

15 minutes to heat; maybe five minutes to cook.

Meathead really likes the Bakerstone for gas grill pizza.

I had an idea and was making pizza so I tried it out-

I used my old set of flavorizer bars to make a riser that theoretically would channel heat from the bottom of the pizza stone to the upper area of the lid:

FBEE64A5-3931-48A6-A70D-64D5647E55DC.jpeg
The pizza cooked for slightly longer than my last attempt- 10 minutes this time as opposed to 8 minutes lat time. The top was nicely browned:

875E3F20-9847-42BD-BDB1-127E61FD3863.jpeg

The difference this time was the bottom of the crust- not over cooked - almost perfect in my opinion:
1E60D6D8-09E2-4813-BC8C-D95DD3AB52A0.jpeg

John I like the iterative progress!
Thanks- next step is going to be fastening these flavorizer bars together and trimming the ends to form a circle slightly larger than the pizza stone.

Overall happy with the results today- as good or better than I expected.

Of corse I’ll keep you posted, literally.

Back