Weber Pizza Oven?

How can you cook raw dough pizza directly on a grate? My dough would fall through on the sides ...
It's what we do. I've never had a stone. Occasionally if we're feeling a little "lazy" I will use cast iron pan or my flat CI griddles. I also have a heavy carbon steel Paella pan. I have never made a paella in my life BTW. It's only been used to make pizza :D

It's what we do. I've never had a stone. Occasionally if we're feeling a little "lazy" I will use cast iron pan or my flat CI griddles. I also have a heavy carbon steel Paella pan. I have never made a paella in my life BTW. It's only been used to make pizza :D
If I did that, I'm so close to NJ that I think James Gandolfini would rise from the grave and smack me in the head lol

How can you cook raw dough pizza directly on a grate? My dough would fall through on the sides ...
If your dough is liquid or sticky it may be a problem but I do it all the time. If pizza makers can toss dough, you can certainly lay it on a grate. Par bake it to barely firm, flip it to add toppings and bake to finish. Adapt as needed. There have actually been books written on the subject, but I just use Bobby Flay's pizza dough recipe. Very similar to many. Adapt and conquer. I never got as good results with a stone (bad technique on my part?).

I keep throwing this in without any apparent takers, but... My Genesis with a bun-warmer-level upper grate (inexpensive mod) and no stone or any similar device (pizza right on the grate) produces enough heat to cook the pie from top and bottom simultaneously -- and fast. No waiting for a heat sink to warm up. Adapt to the technique and bake a couple to get it right, and the pizza is perfect.
Hey RichPB- I tried to mimic your set up for cooking pizza and while it was better than the results I was getting before, my pizza still wasn’t cooking evenly, i.e. cooking faster on the bottom and not fully browning on the top.

I haven’t given up on your approach yet, still tinkering.

Cheers

Edit: here is a link to @RichPB (richlife) ‘s idea- very nice btw:

Last edited:
If your dough is liquid or sticky it may be a problem but I do it all the time. If pizza makers can toss dough, you can certainly lay it on a grate. Par bake it to barely firm, flip it to add toppings and bake to finish. Adapt as needed. There have actually been books written on the subject, but I just use Bobby Flay's pizza dough recipe. Very similar to many. Adapt and conquer. I never got as good results with a stone (bad technique on my part?).
I guess I’m going for a “make it like the pros” type of technique. Not saying your way is bad, I just have a goal :)

Hey RichPB- I tried to mimic your set up for cooking pizza and while it was better than the results I was getting before, my pizza still wasn’t cooking evenly, i.e. cooking faster on the bottom and not fully browning on the top.

I haven’t given up on your approach yet, still tinkering.

Cheers
Hey, John. Are you using an elevated grate and indirect heat? I struggled when using the main grate. Also, what grill (though many use the technique with all different grills). I've only used my Genesis.

If I did that, I'm so close to NJ that I think James Gandolfini would rise from the grave and smack me in the head lol
I have traveled around and yes, the New York City metro area is the home of some mighty fine pizza.

Hey, John. Are you using an elevated grate and indirect heat? I struggled when using the main grate. Also, what grill (though many use the technique with all different grills). I've only used my Genesis.
Genesis 1000, 1993 vintage

A14173C6-C482-4B7D-929C-F47D706FEA52.jpeg
I added a link to your thread because I think it was a good idea and more people should see it.

Really nice! When renting, I've cooked on a couple of the similar black hood models. I mostly found that a Genesis cooks like a Genesis. 😄 None looked anywhere near as good as yours though.

Really nice! When renting, I've cooked on a couple of the similar black hood models. I mostly found that a Genesis cooks like a Genesis. 😄 None looked anywhere near as good as yours though.
Thank you- your comment made me smile.

This grill was really showing her age, but as of very recently and thanks to the fine folks who are active on this forum, she’s slowly coming back to her old glory.

If using a 13 bar Genesis with a pizza stone or griddle you may want to remove at least 1 layer of flavorizers if not both. It is not like anything is dripping on the burners and you need the heat coming up fast and hot like a real pizza oven.

I use a thick piece of marble directly on the grates to cook pizza. The key is to heat the stone up really really hot. I preheat for about 30 minutes and use one of those laser thermometers to check the stone temperature. The hotter the better. I have a genesis 3000 (same internals as your 1000) and I try to get the stone up to 500. It takes a while to heat it up that hot but I get all the pizza cooking abilities I want when I get it good and hot. I’m mired in dough making challenges now, I’m going to get bread flour for my next attempt.
Wow, thanks to you I think I got my pizza mojo back.

I used to make pizza all the time but got out of the habit and couldn’t get it back,

We like thin crust in my family- two pizzas from one crust is standard

A9925D52-1F22-492D-925F-48C3BA4568C8.jpeg

My grill heats up fast

10 minutes and ready to go

5EBEA3EA-177A-429A-898A-13DD28510BE6.jpeg

7 minutes later and Bamm!

28A5F2AE-7131-492B-AAE1-FAF6E39A287E.jpeg
Thank you Tim!

Awesome! Great looking pies!

My dough is still rising, and I'll make mine in about an hour or two, but wow, nice looking pies!

You guys are reminding me that if I don't make up some dough, I can't have any pizza. I've been smoking and freezing quite a bit of the leftovers recently (today it was some serious jalapeno cheese stuffed meatballs but more snack or appetizer), so dinners came from the WSM or from the freezer for grilling. I've got quite a backlog of things I want to fix, but pizza has pretty much been longest absent and top of the list. Need to put the smoker away...

@John_NJ , like you, it's normally thin crust, but I think it's time for something chewier more crustful. That still leaves some choices, doesn't it?

Back