Weber lighting cubes very smokey

Steven Tree

I've never used the weber lighting cubes before today. I usually use a couple pieces of newspaper to light up my chimney. I tried the cubes this morning and was surprised that they gave off a lot of black smoke and smelled like burning plastic. My whole back yard stunk for a while. Has this been anyone else's experience?

I just starting using them a couple months back and, if anything, have noticed less smoke (compared to newspaper). Dumb question, but you are popping them out of the plastic tray, right?

There are no dumb questions. I did pop them out if the tray. I was surprised because I have heard good things about them but they didn't seem to be that great to me. I may have gotten a bad batch. I think I'm going to try burning a couple more from the same box by themselves and observe what happens.

I use them all the time to lite a few coals for a minion method cook. They will smoke some if the are not getting enough air, that could be the problem.

same here, been using them for years and in the house wood burner to start up...
never any problems ever with them.

LOVE THEM!

I've not seen the real value in the cubes. I just roll off two paper towels... Roll them tightly lengthwise and sort of twist it in a knot. I set on the chimney and pour some veg oil on it. Light it and set your chimney on top. It burns forever and you almost no ash...unlike newspaper.

I've done the cubes but I don't think they work any better. My 2 cents.

I'm with Chris. I still have some cubes in my garage; but use the paper towel and veg oil instead.

I've not seen the real value in the cubes. I just roll off two paper towels... Roll them tightly lengthwise and sort of twist it in a knot. I set on the chimney and pour some veg oil on it. Light it and set your chimney on top. It burns forever and you almost no ash...unlike newspaper.

I use the cubes all the time. A lot less messy than paper. But I've never noticed extreme smoke or an off smell

For another dollar, you can buy these -- 3X as many, and they burn hotter and longer.

IYC_Firelighters.jpg

This is exactly what I do, burns clean with very little ash. I've tried the cubes and they work well but I didn't like the mess they make trying to pop them out of the tray. Never noticed a plastic smell or excessive smoke though.

I use the cubes. They smoke until they exhaust themselves, but they're easy. When they're done, I have a nicely ashed over chimney.

Just to follow up. I tried burning a few more and had the same issue. black smoke and acrid smell. When in done with this box I'll just go back to newspaper/paper towels with a little oil sprayed on

Just to follow up. I tried burning a few more and had the same issue. black smoke and acrid smell. When in done with this box I'll just go back to newspaper/paper towels with a little oil sprayed on

Interesting. I've never had that problem. I bought a bunch a while back so I hope this isn't a sign of things to come from some new formulation or something. If I didn't have the cubes, I would use the paper towel soaked in vegetable oil method. I've used that a couple times and find that a lot better than news paper. I mainly don't like all the ash from a newspaper.

Avoid newspaper... Just about anything else will work better... Just way too much ash and remnants to bother. Pull off two paper towels together... Roll them diagonally so you get a long tight rolled rope. Twist it around and make a knot. Put it atop your coals in the chimney. Pour veg oil over it and any drips will just go over the coals. Put it on the grate...light and put the chimney on top. It'll burn for at least 15-20 minutes with barely any ash or embers blowing around. Total cost..a few cents or so

Newspapers and oiled paper produce ashes that I don't want in my grill. I don't like the cost of the cubes. I've found something works much better for me.

I have an empty tuna can that I put a couple of jiggers of rubbing alcohol in and light with a butane torch lighter. I place my chimney over it and wait 5-10 minutes and have a chimney of red hot ashed over coals. If the chimney is lipping full, it might take a little longer. I haven't timed how long the alcohol burns, but the fact that it burns longer than paper means the coals get a better, hotter jump start. It's the cheapest, most effective lighting method I've found. There is no odor or taste of petrochemicals like lighter fluid has. By using the chimney, only a small amount of alcohol is needed.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Back