Weber Genesis Redhead 1100 Restoration Newbie

Ted, I think that Weber actually used a stain which is difficult to remove. I would think without an orbital sander or maybe a palm sander trying to do it by hand would be tedious to say the least. There was a thread here from years ago posted by Chris A of a restore that a lady did and Chris posted her pictures in a thread and if I remember she had the gray slats sanded them and bleached them or something so she could use a spar or oil and leave them natural, maybe someone knows where that thread is.

The axle as Bruce said can be done with a drill and multiple grades of sandpaper and it must be sprayed with something or it will rust pretty quick after your done. There is a picture in my thread on the finished results actually doing one for a Performer today or tomorrow. I think the mistake I made as I finished it off to begin with was 400 wet sandpaper when I just should of used it dry left it for a few days and it started to rust immediately but just stuck it back in the drill again using 400 dry and it cleaned up in a few minutes, wiped it down with Acetone and put three coats of clear on it.

Of course as someone in my thread said you could buy a new piece stainless from MC for under 12 bucks and be done with it but I was doing this for a friend we were trying to re-use everything.

1100 For a Buddy of Mine | Page 2 | The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board (tvwbb.com)
Thanks for the helpful info, Brian! I will try my best to remove the stain. If not I will replace with some cedar. Do you have a link to the axel I can purchase?

Yes I believe that Bruce gave you the correct link but their shipping costs can be pretty high search for a store in your area in ATL I have one maybe 30 minutes away. They will sell to you from a store just call them at least mine will.

I don't believe at least in my area that any big box store will have that axle in SS.

I bought a 6' footer a couple years ago and used one axle out of it. I plant to take another chunk out of it for my personal SS Genesis Platinum. I don't think they originally use a SS axle.

Happy Friday!

I was able to slowly make some progress this week. I ended up getting the end caps and firebox sandblasted for $45. Totally worth the cost. So far I have painted the frame/firebox, installed new burners, casters, igniter & SS flavorizer bars. Very happy with how things have turned out. I hope to have time this weekend to finish cleaning the lid, painting end caps, & sanding/staining the handle.

I am amazed how some of you have gotten the inside of the lid so clean. How did you do that? I feel I am making little progress with a lot of effort.
Sadly I may have misplaced 1 of the end cap screws and one of the handle bolts. If I can't find them I will replace them all. What have some of you used as replacements?

Also considering getting new wood slats at home depot as I don't think I have the time or energy to sand all the original ones down. What would you all recommend?

Does anyone have an endcap or the black bar the fold up shelf hangs on lying around or know where I could source?

Have a great weekend!!

Attachments

• W9.jpg
    W9.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 28
  • W10.jpg
    W10.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Happy Friday!

I was able to slowly make some progress this week. I ended up getting the end caps and firebox sandblasted for $45. Totally worth the cost. So far I have painted the frame/firebox, installed new burners, casters, igniter & SS flavorizer bars. Very happy with how things have turned out. I hope to have time this weekend to finish cleaning the lid, painting end caps, & sanding/staining the handle.

I am amazed how some of you have gotten the inside of the lid so clean. How did you do that? I feel I am making little progress with a lot of effort.
Sadly I may have misplaced 1 of the end cap screws and one of the handle bolts. If I can't find them I will replace them all. What have some of you used as replacements?
Check this HOW TO on cleaning the inside of the grill lid: https://tvwbb.com/threads/how-to-clean-the-inside-of-a-weber-genesis-gas-grill-lid.78902/

Also, this is what I replace all my end cap bolts with:

If you want to stick with stock, I probably have one of each I could spare. PM me if interested.

20200920 Genesis 1000 - Burgundy head (5).JPG
Also considering getting new wood slats at home depot as I don't think I have the time or energy to sand all the original ones down. What would you all recommend?
I bought cedar dogeared fence panels from Home Depot and ripped them to the correct width. They are the perfect thickness and cedar is naturally rot resistant.

Does anyone have an endcap or the black bar the fold up shelf hangs on lying around or know where I could source?
Those are kind of tough to find. Best option is to find one off a donor grill probably. I might have one. PM me and we can talk about it.
Have a great weekend!!

Hi Everyone, I thought I would provide a quick update. I was able to get everything reassembled over the weekend. Due to time constraints I have not had an opportunity finish the handle and slats. Hopefully I will have time in the coming weeks. I think it turned out great and I am excited to start grilling on it. Thanks to everyone who took the time to provide input and pointers!

Attachments

• W11.jpg
    W11.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 46
  • W12.jpg
    W12.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 46

Back