Weber Genesis Old vs New

If the offers are stupid low ballers more times than not they're BS'ers anyway and would not show up with $$$ in hand, and if they do they show and then hem & haw and weasel out anyway. But if it's offers within 10% usually more serious
Multiple serious offers at 600 and a couple at 500. Trying to get a little bit closer to 800 but I'm ready to move it. Also might pick up another four burner today that I like better but still will sell.

I have a ton of experience buying and selling and it seems like above 600 is the sticky point where you really have to find the right buyer. 620 is the most I've sold one for. Seems like higher than that people go out and buy new from the store

Last edited:
Yeah, I get the same thing with the mixers. Seems no matter how "nice" you rebuild there is a plateau. For me it seems to be right about 50% of comparable new one. So i.e. on tilt head mixers I need to have it in my possession in the $50-$80 range depending on work needed. Since it takes about 5 hours on the bench to do a nice job and then be able to sell in the $150ish range.
Larger machines with the lift type frame can go a little better depending on capacity. 5qt seems to plateau in the just under $200 point, 6qt can push to about $225. Makes it hard when Costco throws the really nice 6qt machines on sale at $299-$319. Hell even their regular price is "give away" cheap at $399.
But when I get to the Commercial line then I can get into better price points. But they're hard to find and even harder to find at right price for refurbs. Especially hard because parts cost dearly on those.
Another thing I've learned. If the machine needs refinishing of ANY kind I walk away unless I just want it for the accessories or a hard to find part. I've lost my shirt trying to do what you guys do with the grills on mixers. No one appreciates it.

Yeah, I get the same thing with the mixers. Seems no matter how "nice" you rebuild there is a plateau. For me it seems to be right about 50% of comparable new one. So i.e. on tilt head mixers I need to have it in my possession in the $50-$80 range depending on work needed. Since it takes about 5 hours on the bench to do a nice job and then be able to sell in the $150ish range.
Larger machines with the lift type frame can go a little better depending on capacity. 5qt seems to plateau in the just under $200 point, 6qt can push to about $225. Makes it hard when Costco throws the really nice 6qt machines on sale at $299-$319. Hell even their regular price is "give away" cheap at $399.
But when I get to the Commercial line then I can get into better price points. But they're hard to find and even harder to find at right price for refurbs. Especially hard because parts cost dearly on those.
Another thing I've learned. If the machine needs refinishing of ANY kind I walk away unless I just want it for the accessories or a hard to find part. I've lost my shirt trying to do what you guys do with the grills on mixers. No one appreciates it.
Do you have any pictures Larry I'd like to see your work?

View attachment 97973
Just picked up this free 3000. Maybe not the nicest but at the very least if I don't build it it has some good parts. Plus the SS grates and flavorizer bars and burners are in good shape. We'll see. Maybe build to try to flip. I'm not a big fan of a side burner for a grill for myself but I feel like other people like it and maybe a good option for a flip grill?
I would not mind having a 2000. I think that is the model without the side burner. I used to like the idea of a side burner, but I found I seldom used them and now I like the shelf space even more. I have done a couple of side burner deletes on my keepers and have been very happy with that. That is just my personal choice though, not sure how that relates in the open market.

I would not mind having a 2000. I think that is the model without the side burner. I used to like the idea of a side burner, but I found I seldom used them and now I like the shelf space even more. I have done a couple of side burner deletes on my keepers and have been very happy with that. That is just my personal choice though, not sure how that relates in the open market.
That is my personal preference also. I'll take a table over a side burner. The 1000 is my sweet spot though.

That is my personal preference also. I'll take a table over a side burner. The 1000 is my sweet spot though.
I like the 1000 even better although I have been looking for a Genesis B now. I want to see if I can find a 2-swing shelf one or mod it and make my own, I only lean toward the Genesis B now because parts are more readily available, but the 1000 is still the king of all grills.

Do you have any pictures Larry I'd like to see your work?
When I get the next ones ready for sale. Right now I'm in holding mode as we're dealing with some "issues" here. My deck issue(s), all the electrical issues to name just a couple. And next week I am supposed to be getting a customer machine in for repair/rebuild. But honestly not all that much to see. When I now buy a machine for resale I need it as close to cosmetically perfect as I can get. (I understand dirt and such or fluid leaking out). But it's been years since I bothered to take a cosmetically beat up machine, and along with rebuilding it also refinished it. I lost my shirt on it. So, I just flat out don't do it now.
Oh to be sure if someone were to ask me to do one, I would do it, but I'd want a hefty deposit and price tag :D

I like the 1000 even better although I have been looking for a Genesis B now. I want to see if I can find a 2-swing shelf one or mod it and make my own, I only lean toward the Genesis B now because parts are more readily available, but the 1000 is still the king of all grills.
There's a nice looking silver b available for free near me with two swing tables.

I found one of those Bs a couple weeks ago without the double shelf for $15 bucks. I went as far as to drive and pick it up and when I arrived, I changed my mind. I regret it now for it was in decent shape. I just talked myself out of having another grill in my backyard, but that was before I thought about moding it with 2-swing shelf.

For you restore and flip crowd, it doesn't seem like there's much money in it considering the time you trade for a few bucks. It is a noblesse oblige thing or ?
As a hobby I enjoy doing it but the older stuff looks hard to make money on. If I can get a nice newer one that's dirty and clean it up and sell it for 400 to $600 profit that's worth it for me but as far as the older ones I just like them for myself. I might try to sell an older one but it's probably worth more to me to keep than to sell.

I oughta send the jet for one of you guys to clean up my Silver B. As a guy with little interest in this sort of work,I can only go so far! ;)
I'm trying to pick up this one today. These are the ones I can clean up for $600 profit. not a ton of money but I enjoy doing it.Screenshot_20240813_065549_craigslist.jpg

Originally posted for $900 and not cleaned up. Of course it didn't sell. But they're moving so now it's free

Last edited:
I've got an early 2000s 3 burner Silver B, so side burner, only the flip up plastic table on the left. It lives in my garage when not in use, next to my '99 kettle. The new ones are nice and shiny, but they don't do anything better than mine, just take up more space. I live in a high rust environment near the ocean, but no signs of rust anywhere. I think the only things I've replaced are the starter once, the regulator went bad and was replaced under warranty, and one of the wheels crapped out (which I replaced with an office chair caster for $5). Original uncoated cast iron grates are well seasoned and still like new under all the grease. I clean it thoroughly about once a year. I figure it will outlast me, unlike all the previous other brands that used to last a few years.

I still prefer my kettle. I bought a new Jumbo Joe a few years ago for camping, did a number of upgrades, and probably use it more than anything now for smaller cooks when I'm not in a hurry. Fastener quality of the new Webers appears to be crap, so I replaced everything I could with stainless steel, and the quality feel goes way up.

I can only find one issue that favors the new models - grate height. The taller grills are easier on my back. That said, all the other factors favor the oldies for me. The late Silver/Gold/Platinum models with cabinets are the tallest of the original style and my preference.

I found one of those Bs a couple weeks ago without the double shelf for $15 bucks. I went as far as to drive and pick it up and when I arrived, I changed my mind. I regret it now for it was in decent shape. I just talked myself out of having another grill in my backyard, but that was before I thought about moding it with 2-swing shelf.
Samuel. Some Silver B grills have the extra catch on the frame for the left side swing shelf even though they were sold with just the right side swing shelf. Also, you need the left side handle that has the drop down bracket for the pivot rod. It isn't just a matter of finding the left side shelf and slapping it in.

Back