Weber Genesis Old vs New

I respect all grills but if I had to pick one (new vs old Genesis) it would be the old one. The whole reason I'm here is because I went to look at brand new Webers and was disappointed in what I found.

Like many here, my "older is better" mentality kicked in and I started researching old Weber grills. I found this site, quickly caught Weberitis, and now I really have no idea at all how many grills I have. My daily driver is a year 2000 Silver C which my Wife and I totally love.

Someone mentioned lawnmowers... I still run my 1983 Honda mower (an HR214 PX). At 41 years old it still starts on the first pull and runs great. Built like a tank (heavy) but cuts and vacuums the lawn beautifully.

I respect all grills but if I had to pick one (new vs old Genesis) it would be the old one. The whole reason I'm here is because I went to look at brand new Webers and was disappointed in what I found.

Like many here, my "older is better" mentality kicked in and I started researching old Weber grills. I found this site, quickly caught Weberitis, and now I really have no idea at all how many grills I have. My daily driver is a year 2000 Silver C which my Wife and I totally love.

Someone mentioned lawnmowers... I still run my 1983 Honda mower (an HR214 PX). At 41 years old it still starts on the first pull and runs great. Built like a tank (heavy) but cuts and vacuums the lawn beautifully.
Just sold my HRX216 Quadra Cut replaced with Toro 60V electric one. I don't use a walk behind enough to justify dealing with the gas engine BS for using it MAYBE 5x a season

I think my walk behind Honda mower is from 1996. Still runs great though I bought a 42" deck John Deere riding mower a few years later and use that today instead. I've got a little over a half acre of what we sportingly call lawn.

Last edited:
Surprised they let you buy them there. I thought that type of machine was outlawed many years ago because the blades are exposed

Not sure how old my old one was but they first came out in 1935 and are still built with the same design to today. Hard to beat how well they cut with that reel design after all these years.

My grampa had a manual reel mower in his garage. He had a gas mower as well. But, I remember mowing about half his yard one year with that thing. It was hard as heck to push as I was probably 7-8 years old, but it sure made a nice cut. We are talking 1960's here. I didn't quit because I got bored, I quit because "I" ran out of gas.

My grampa had a manual reel mower in his garage. He had a gas mower as well. But, I remember mowing about half his yard one year with that thing. It was hard as heck to push as I was probably 7-8 years old, but it sure made a nice cut. We are talking 1960's here. I didn't quit because I got bored, I quit because "I" ran out of gas.
My first was a manual reel mower

20240812_170306~4.jpg
Just picked up this free 3000. Maybe not the nicest but at the very least if I don't build it it has some good parts. Plus the SS grates and flavorizer bars and burners are in good shape. We'll see. Maybe build to try to flip. I'm not a big fan of a side burner for a grill for myself but I feel like other people like it and maybe a good option for a flip grill?

Would the choice be easy for you?
Old or new or
both or neither?
What's your preference?
I'm curious?

I'm a fan of the front control with sear burner for grilling.

That said, if its a keeper in the PNW, you might be better off selling the S435. I'm not sure the cabinets will fare well in the wet climate you are in.

If its planned for Aridzona, then the S435 will be fine.

View attachment 97973
Just picked up this free 3000. Maybe not the nicest but at the very least if I don't build it it has some good parts. Plus the SS grates and flavorizer bars and burners are in good shape. We'll see. Maybe build to try to flip. I'm not a big fan of a side burner for a grill for myself but I feel like other people like it and maybe a good option for a flip grill?
Once you have one, start using it, it's pretty easy to become a "fan" and then miss it when you have to give up having one. I miss mine a lot

I'm a fan of the front control with sear burner for grilling.

That said, if its a keeper in the PNW, you might be better off selling the S435. I'm not sure the cabinets will fare well in the wet climate you are in.

If its planned for Aridzona, then the S435 will be fine.
SPX 435 is up for sale. Been getting lots of offers but holding out for just a little bit more. Selling season is coming to an end in the pnw but I don't want to give it away but I also don't really want to hold on to it until spring selling season either.

Last edited:
SPX 435 is up for sale. Been getting lots of offers but holding out for just a little bit more. Selling season is coming to an end in the pnw but I don't want to give it away but I also don't really want to hold on to it until spring selling season either.
If the offers are stupid low ballers more times than not they're BS'ers anyway and would not show up with $$$ in hand, and if they do they show and then hem & haw and weasel out anyway. But if it's offers within 10% usually more serious

Back