Weber Genesis Old vs New

It's rather interesting you mention the Land Cruiser in relation to the Weber Genesis. As someone with a 2005 LC, I see an interesting parallel in evolution and decline. If you trace the Genesis series from 1990 to 2024, and compare it to the various Land Cruiser series (J80 thru J300) over the same period, you notice a similar correlation in durability & quality, and then subsequent trade-offs in practicality vs refinement vs bling.

IMO, the sweet spot for the 'mainstream' U.S. market Land Cruiser was the J100 to early J200 series, built from 1998 to 2011... sound familiar? Similarly, as with the older Genesis 1-5 and X000, the J80 (1990-97) LC is the considered to be the standard-bearer by hardcore purists. ;-)
That is an interesting comparison. In my world view, the LC hit perfection somewhere around 2006-8. I think the 2000 Genesis Silver B is perfect for my needs, especially after shopping the new ones which is why I'll replace the parts as needed. If anything major goes wrong with the LLC (Lexus Land Cruiser), I will do the same. I'd rather spend $20k restoring certain things than replacing it but as it only has 140k miles on it, it'll be a minute. It's in great running shape and, like my Weber, looks used but not abused.

Funny. There is a Toyota master diagnostic technician on YT called "The Car Care Nut" he just a day ago did a video on just that LC subject.
As are most of his vids. Interesting watch coming from someone who actually KNOWS what he's taking about

I like this side twist on this post. As I get older I appreciate even more old things that were built right and built to last.

What are some other things you guys like old that just isn't the same anymore? I like to refinish old solid hardwood furniture or build my own from scratch vs new furniture.

That is an interesting comparison. In my world view, the LC hit perfection somewhere around 2006-8. I think the 2000 Genesis Silver B is perfect for my needs, especially after shopping the new ones which is why I'll replace the parts as needed. If anything major goes wrong with the LLC (Lexus Land Cruiser), I will do the same. I'd rather spend $20k restoring certain things than replacing it but as it only has 140k miles on it, it'll be a minute. It's in great running shape and, like my Weber, looks used but not abused.
I always thought that the "97 Anniversary Edition' was the grail model --- I always wanted to find a gem of that year. It seems like they put everything on that one and that was the pinnacle.
Sure, you had/have to deal with birf joints on them, but its a 'known' service item...... just like flavor bars. ignitors and burners on the webers.

I always thought that the "97 Anniversary Edition' was the grail model --- I always wanted to find a gem of that year. It seems like they put everything on that one and that was the pinnacle.
Sure, you had/have to deal with birf joints on them, but its a 'known' service item...... just like flavor bars. ignitors and burners on the webers.
I always wanted the 80 series. Until the 100 series came out. Took me a number of years to finally find a good low miles clean one. I think the 80's are better for hard core off roading but the 100's, at least in my personal experience, do fine. The 100's found the perfect blend of off road and in town/highway.

I like this side twist on this post. As I get older I appreciate even more old things that were built right and built to last.

What are some other things you guys like old that just isn't the same anymore? I like to refinish old solid hardwood furniture or build my own from scratch vs new furniture.

Well, since you asked: durable items such as most major appliances, hand tools, rock-n-roll, Gibson guitars, and... women. :giggle:

Are those custom frames?
Yes. I posted a thread on the restoration here:

Gerry

Yes. I posted a thread on the restoration here:

Gerry
Cool thanks Gerry! I'll check it out

I had an 89 Accord 4dr 5 speed that averaged 35mpg… on a long haul 40+ on the highways, but the new cars are so much more efficient! lol

I'm still rocking a 1996 Toro Super Recycler lawnmower. I love that machine. It has electric start that still works and a blade brake clutch so you don't have to hold a handle down to start it and keep it running. It does a great job mulching so I never use the bag. I would probably cry if something happened to it I couldn't fix. My snowblower isn't too far behind, it's a 2000 Craftsman with a 9hp Tecumseh. There's no way anything you buy today will last that long and be as trouble free as those machines are.

I'm still rocking a 1996 Toro Super Recycler lawnmower. I love that machine. It has electric start that still works and a blade brake clutch so you don't have to hold a handle down to start it and keep it running. It does a great job mulching so I never use the bag. I would probably cry if something happened to it I couldn't fix. My snowblower isn't too far behind, it's a 2000 Craftsman with a 9hp Tecumseh. There's no way anything you buy today will last that long and be as trouble free as those machines are.
Love it!

I had an 89 Accord 4dr 5 speed that averaged 35mpg… on a long haul 40+ on the highways, but the new cars are so much more efficient! lol
The new versions of the Hondas and Toyotas gas only are less efficient than the 1980’s. The safety requirements added 100’s of pounds.

Safer and probably more reliable. Added complexity makes them more difficult to repair

1723419263177.png

Back