Weber Genesis 2000 Restoration

Does everyone realize this was a 2 year old thread? No big deal, just sayin'.

Yeah, but it's a timeless subject, so all good as I see it. Would be a bit different if it was a "hey, should I buy this grill listed on Offerup" that was two years old and the grill was long gone.

Wow, just noticed this thread recently got a new life! I've done two more complete restorations since the original one in this post, one for myself and a redhead birthday gift for my Dad.

7fAA7Koh.jpg

yAR4FToh.jpg

o3FkiQoh.jpg

oANG1Urh.jpg

cYeS41Ph.jpg

That wood on the redhead is beautiful. What kind of wood is it and how did you finish it?

Also, how did you clean out the inside of the cook boxes?

BEAUTIFUL GRILLS:cool:!!!!

Bruce asked the same questions I would have. Love to hear more about all you did and maybe a few more close-ups. Thanks for updating us.

Thanks for the nice compliments guys! On my grill I used pine finished with golden oak stain and satin Helmsman. The slats turned out nicely but in hindsight I wish had used something a little more striking. With that in mind, when I did the red grill for my Dad I used walnut finished with a couple coats of gloss Helmsman. As for the cook boxes, on both grills I sand blasted everything and then repainted using Rustoleum high heat ultra. They both got brand new thermometers, stainless grates, burners, manifolds, lower pans, igniters, rcplanebuyer flavorizers and wheels. They are set for another couple decades.

z0LQblzh.jpg

VVhkiYVh.jpg

98iBVBQh.jpg

AtG680Sh.jpg

59INymGh.jpg

RVDku3Zh.jpg

TbMs2KYh.jpg

SxzCinwh.jpg

OC322Xuh.jpg

e50Lecnh.jpg

Thanks, burned the family name in there with a letter branding kit and a blowtorch. The Helmsman is designed for outdoor use. Like anything, the finish won't hold up forever but it is pretty good for water resistance.

Yah, I swear....your grills could have easily been the model pics in the Weber catalog back then.

Absolutely beautiful work John. I restored my green 2000 also but I used the durawood because its a working grill and the durawood is very easy to maintain. After seeing your green 2000 with the nice wood I may be rethinking my decision and switch to wood. That green with the wood is sure easy on the eyes.

35905006325_e6fb92ec99_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN2766 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
John,
Your outstanding results I think has a bunch of us all pining for a sand blaster! You can get decent results with an angle grinder and cup brush but not that showroom look your projects have. Awesome, beautiful work. I think you need to take on some more - maybe an early Genesis like Rich just got, or a Genesis Platinum with the Summit frame or, of course, a Skyline Series :eek:!

John,
Your outstanding results I think has a bunch of us all pining for a sand blaster! You can get decent results with an angle grinder and cup brush but not that showroom look your projects have. Awesome, beautiful work. I think you need to take on some more - maybe an early Genesis like Rich just got, or a Genesis Platinum with the Summit frame or, of course, a Skyline Series :eek:!

Even I drool over a sandblaster and for you and Bruce who do a large amount of flips the labor savings would probably break you even after a certain amount of grills.

John,
How about posting up your sand blasting setup and maybe cost so that us newbies might be able to consider making that kind of investment. I am just afraid it will be out of my budget and a cheapo HF system might not do nearly as good of a job.

John,
How about posting up your sand blasting setup and maybe cost so that us newbies might be able to consider making that kind of investment. I am just afraid it will be out of my budget and a cheapo HF system might not do nearly as good of a job.

Ditto from me as well!

Back