Weber Genesis 1200 Skyline grill

Mine in this pic below in the spot circled in Reddish Orange, at the end of the shorter but not shortest end has a hole drilled, like for a cotter pin, but there is nothing in the hold.

1668224002172.png

I think that might have been for a spring pin (also known as a rolled or roll pin), serves the same purpose (to limit the side to side travel), but later removed as part of production cost-cutting.

It's really a shame what the climate does to these table brackets and zbars. You can see the rust bubbling through the paint. I can save this, but it's very time consuming. 20221111_213738.jpg20221111_213755.jpg

I think that might have been for a spring pin (also known as a rolled or roll pin), serves the same purpose (to limit the side to side travel), but later removed as part of production cost-cutting.
I'm sure you're right about that, it must have served a purpose at one time or it wouldn't be there.

Does your plastic slider bracket have a means of removing it from the bar? I modeled this from the one I bought online so I assume it's one of the later revisions.

1668224844316.png

I'm sure you're right about that, it must have served a purpose at one time or it wouldn't be there

Well, sounds to me like if you weren't doing this. you'd be painting the kitchen or replacing baseboards or another project on the endless list of Honey-do's...
Oh, I'm getting ready to paint my dining room. I'm fixing the drywall around the door opening, you know how long it takes for every coat of drywall mud to dry? Days, I have been dragging my feet a little on that.

I never noticed this before. They marked these L and R so you wouldn't mix them up if you had a grill with drop down tables on both sides. Ah, dumb grill facts that nobody cares about for $100, Alex 20221111_220713.jpg

I saw that before you deleted it Ed. Yes, I know how to take it off of the bracket. View attachment 62519
Ready, fire, aim! Yeah, I misread that and reacted, then re-read it. But to my way of thinking, that rod is formed in one or two operations, made by automated machinery en masse, then placed into inventory for later assembly. It takes specialized equipment to swage those nubs and I just have a hard time thinking they slipped the slider on before swaging those nubs. Maybe the hole is elongated in one direction to allow it to slip over the nub on the table-end of the rod? In any case, if it were in my way, I would not have a problem filing it down so the slider fit over it, especially after knowing that later revisions did away with the nub altogether with no ill effects.

They must have made it that way on purpose, the other interesting question is how it ended up on that particular grill. Did that part stay in inventory long enough to be used on a later grill? Did the original owner of the grill piece it together from parts off of another grill. We will never know unless other people on here find this part on their own later Genesis 1000. I'm sure I would have no problem filling that nub down enough to get it apart if I need to down the road.

They must have made it that way on purpose, the other interesting question is how it ended up on that particular grill. Did that part stay in inventory long enough to be used on a later grill? Did the original owner of the grill piece it together from parts off of another grill. We will never know unless other people on here find this part on their own later Genesis 1000. I'm sure I would have no problem filling that nub down enough to get it apart if I need to down the road.
I tend to think that someone in engineering screwed up and things didn't fit together as intended. Myself, I would use a micrometer to see how much the interference fit is, but I'd almost bet that plastic slider was forced past that nub. I'd almost bet It wouldn't take much effort because of the arc of the nub and the innate lubricity and deformability of the plastic.

I tend to think that someone in engineering screwed up and things didn't fit together as intended. Myself, I would use a micrometer to see how much the interference fit is, but I'd almost bet that plastic slider was forced past that nub. I'd almost bet It wouldn't take much effort because of the arc of the nub and the innate lubricity and deformability of the plastic.
I keep forgetting that I have someone that I can ask these dumb questions, probably because I don't see him as often as I should. He was the quality control manager at Weber in the 90's and was involved in all the parts that went on these grills. If he ever finds the stash of old parts that he has I'll have an excuse to meet up with him and talk. I'm not going to call him just to ask him this however, he'll just think I'm nuts.

This part of the thread about the swing table rod differences has been interesting. That said, I have a favour to ask. I have lost this rod off the left swing table on my 3000 and would like to fabricate a new one. I need the diameter of the rod and the exact lengths of each section if someone could get that for me.
Thanks,
Richard.

This part of the thread about the swing table rod differences has been interesting. That said, I have a favour to ask. I have lost this rod off the left swing table on my 3000 and would like to fabricate a new one. I need the diameter of the rod and the exact lengths of each section if someone could get that for me.
Thanks,
Richard.
Richard, I hope this helps. As far as the diameter, it's the same as the shorter rod that holds the swing table to the frame.20221112_205854.jpg20221112_210013.jpg20221112_210053.jpg

This is what I have [dual dimensions in inches and mm]. The rod diameter is 1/4" (0.25"). I might have left a bit extra on the plastic slider end for swaging but it shouldn't matter.

1668308425479.png

Interesting that Steve's is 1" shorter than mine on the 11" side. Shouldn't matter, though.

Back