Weber Genesis 1200 Skyline grill

This time don't squeeze it with the grates in place. Squeeze it further than the grate measurement. When you release the clamps it should then spring to a more "normal" width
Already on it Larry, I also put better bracing on the back of the cookbox to get more even pressure. I have a space heater going in the garage to warm it up before I fully crank it down as well.

Yeah, just go a little at a time, spread the pressure well and I don't think you will have an issue. It's not like when you shatter one trying to punch out a bolt. Cast aluminum can safely take some pressure like you're doing but it's "shocks" that will ruin it

Yeah, just go a little at a time, spread the pressure well and I don't think you will have an issue. It's not like when you shatter one trying to punch out a bolt. Cast aluminum can safely take some pressure like you're doing but it's "shocks" that will ruin it
Leaving the clamp on for an extended period of time probably doesn't do much good I'm guessing? I'm really just trying to bend it back in to shape, not heat treating it.

That's why I was afraid to bang on the stuck bolt in the other cookbox I have. The metal around the hole was already compromised and I didn't think strong enough to be bashed on. Heating it up with a torch worked well and quickly.

After my third attempt to straighten out the bowed cookbox, it now measures exactly the same at the middle as my other boxes. On my last try I cranked it down to a measurement of just under 17" at the center.20221109_182156.jpg

Another picture along the front of the cookbox, it now looks slightly bowed inward at the center to my eye. I don't know if I should tempt fate anymore and keep messing with it. My thought now is to use it and see what happens longterm.20221109_183143.jpg

Another picture along the front of the cookbox, it now looks slightly bowed inward at the center to my eye. I don't know if I should tempt fate anymore and keep messing with it. My thought now is to use it and see what happens longterm.View attachment 62393
From personal experience, I would stop trying to tweak the cook box and just use it.

I have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory enough times to know sometimes I need to accept well enough and move on.

Glad it worked out so far.

From personal experience, I would stop trying to tweak the cook box and just use it.

I have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory enough times to know sometimes I need to accept well enough and move on.

Glad it worked out so far.
I agree, it's time to leave well enough alone and move on to the second part of this experiment which is just using it and seeing what happens.

If it holds after a few cooking cycles, I would ask that you consider to do a "HOW TO" and submit it to be included our How To library.
I think that all you need to do is add the tag: HOW TO to the post for it to populate into the How To library.

If it holds after a few cooking cycles, I would ask that you consider to do a "HOW TO" and submit it to be included our How To library.
I think that all you need to do is add the tag: HOW TO to the post for it to populate into the How To library.
I will definitely do that Bruce, what I did doesn't mean too much if it bows out again after cooking with it so we shall see. I'm going to try and get it up and running soon as I'm now also on the hook for repainting the dining room and replacing the baseboard trim, fun stuff.

It may take a number of years (decades?) before intact cast fireboxes aren't as easily available, but more of this type of repair will be needed down the road. Thanks for sharing the journey!

Ok, my new everyday grill featuring the formerly bowed out cookbox is done except for the lid emblem. The only things I painted were the axle and the tank scale, which I had done previously and showed in another thread. I did disassemble and clean pretty much everything I could including the durawood tables. I think it looks pretty decent and won't be embarrassed to have it on the patio. I'm looking forward to seeing how the cookbox reacts to the heating and cooling cycles and starting on my skyline restoration.

Looks nice. I would give the endcaps a shot of Rustoleum High heat flat black. I don't even mask it - Just take a piece of newspaper and tuck it under and move it as you spray. Takes 5 minutes.

Back