Weber Genesis 1200 Skyline grill

I would think clamping it only to the position of the grates might not be enough. I would go beyond because IF the process works there will be "spring back" once the clamp comes off. Unless you go "nuts" with how tight I doubt you have to worry about the box.

I would think for this process that clamping it in a position that is a little beyond your desired outcome would yeild the final results you are looking for. If the aluminum does form back after the clamping, it likely will spring back some from where it was clamped.
I was thinking this also, but was having difficulty trying to explain it in words last night- so here’s a chicken scratch sketch since maybe it’s clearer (?)

82C2DC6D-C18F-43EF-ACF0-8E86EE92C65B.jpeg
If you can gets some shim stock behind the straight edges to create a “reverse bend” it might work.

Probably a two man job unless you can use some masking tape to hold it all together until you clamp it down.

Fwiw

I did a bit of reading, still not sure if I'm reading it right. Heat and time is my current opinion. 600 to 750F for 30 + mins.

I plan to try this on the melted droopy cookbox edge from the burned up E330 I picked up. Maybe next weekend. This cookbox is junk right now so it will be a good thing to experiment on.

20220904_141510.jpg

I did a bit of reading, still not sure if I'm reading it right. Heat and time is my current opinion. 600 to 750F for 30 + mins.

I plan to try this on the melted droopy cookbox edge from the burned up E330 I picked up. Maybe next weekend. This cookbox is junk right now so it will be a good thing to experiment on.

View attachment 62208
That is not really warped - More like melted.

That is not really warped - More like melted.
I think it was a grease fire that got down into the drip pan which is on the left side. I will be using the cart for a BBQ table / cabinet so the cook box is is a volunteer to experiment on.

And some heat?
With how easily it bent back into shape I don't know that it would do any good. I was originally thinking I would have to use heat just to get it to bend back into shape, but that wasn't the case so I don't know.

View attachment 62208
Is there any part of that heat-affected area that can be bent with finger pressure?

View attachment 62208
Aluminum is an easy material to work with.

Would it be possible to just cut out the melted section and replace it with some 1/8” or 3/16” thick flat bar? Aluminum pop rivet them in place?

It’s hard to tell from the photograph, but the cook box from the burner tubes looks like it hasn’t been deformed- accurate?

Aluminum is an easy material to work with.

Would it be possible to just cut out the melted section and replace it with some 1/8” or 3/16” thick flat bar? Aluminum pop rivet them in place?

It’s hard to tell from the photograph, but the cook box from the burner tubes looks like it hasn’t been deformed- accurate?
Maybe, but this will be an experiment. I don't need to repair it and even if I did, I don't have enough parts. I figure if I can reshape this with heat and pressure, I'll learn and can apply it along with what Steve does to a couple of warped ones in my pile.

Not wanting to hijack Steves thread, but here is a Pic and as bad as it is warped it is still strong.

20221106_161850.jpg

20221106_161929.jpg

20221106_161902.jpg

Maybe, but this will be an experiment. I don't need to repair it and even if I did, I don't have enough parts. I figure if I can reshape this with heat and pressure, I'll learn and can apply it along with what Steve does to a couple of warped ones in my pile.

Not wanting to hijack Steves thread, but here is a Pic and as bad as it is warped it is still strong.

View attachment 62252

View attachment 62253

View attachment 62254
Hijack away, my friend! I'm interested in seeing what you can do as well.

View attachment 62252

View attachment 62253

View attachment 62254
Do you have some flat bar metal to clamp inside the cook box?

If you actually heat it to the point it’s bendable it’s going to be very hot- having something to back it up would make it easier to “flatten” it.

A vice grip on either side could hold the flat stock in place.

Do you have some flat bar metal to clamp inside the cook box?

If you actually heat it to the point it’s bendable it’s going to be very hot- having something to back it up would make it easier to “flatten” it.

A vice grip on either side could hold the flat stock in place.
I'm thinking of using a disk brake pad and some square steel tubing

I pulled the clamp off and put the factory grates back on the grill. Is it better? Yes, the grates no longer fall back in to the grill. Is it as good as I would like it to be? No, I may give it one more shot after thinking about an improvement to my method. Here's some pictures with the grates pushed all the way to the back of the grill so that the only gap is in the front.20221107_162704.jpg20221107_162533.jpg

Back