Weber Genesis 1200 Skyline grill

Steve Hoch

TVWBB Diamond Member
I just got this out of the car and I'm too tired to put it back together tonight. I will post more tomorrow. It's definitely a good news, bad news grill. The lid is extremely faded but the control panel is almost perfect. The cookbox still has all the original paint on it but is bowed out so the grates fall in. I'm still going to need another Skyline grill with a nice lid to make into something really nice.20221025_232219.jpg20221025_231915.jpg I'm not sure what year it is although my semi educated guess is 1998. I didn't have to drive too far or pay too much for it, so overall I'm going to consider it a win since I really wanted one of these.

Don’t feel bad about some fade. It’s still a Skyline! It does seem that these hoods had an even higher propensity to fade than regular black hoods. You also got the condiment rack👍. Everything else can be sourced from other Genesis grills of that era. So, I say welcome to the club!

Skyline Club logo.jpg

Last edited:
I just got this out of the car and I'm too tired to put it back together tonight. I will post more tomorrow. It's definitely a good news, bad news grill. The lid is extremely faded but the control panel is almost perfect. The cookbox still has all the original paint on it but is bowed out so the grates fall in. I'm still going to need another Skyline grill with a nice lid to make into something really nice.View attachment 61625View attachment 61626 I'm not sure what year it is although my semi educated guess is 1998. I didn't have to drive too far or pay too much for it, so overall I'm going to consider it a win since I really wanted one of these.
It’s a great thing that you are saving that grill. Whoever ends up owning it is fortunate also.

The guy I bought it from said he was the original owner and had kept it in the garage the whole time. Most of it is in really nice shape which is why I was surprised by the bowed cookbox and faded lid. At least I noticed it and was able to get the price down $40.

It’s a great thing that you are saving that grill. Whoever ends up owning it is fortunate also.
The fortunate one is supposed to be me, I want to add it to my garage museum, but I'm going to need a nicer lid. At least I can keep wasting time looking for another one.😀

Aside from the lid and condiment rack, there really isn't anything different about the Skyline over the regular Genesis 1000 of that time. It might have come with upgraded grates and/or flavorizer bars, but those are likely gone or used up by now anyway.
So, the only thing hard is the pristine lid.....which will be a tough one. Patience!

Your photos don't seem to show the fade on the lid.

Just oil it up a few times a year, I have found it really hides the fade.
I cleaned it up with fine steel wool and glass cleaner. Then I waxed it twice with steel wool. It looks better but is still "user grade" in my opinion. I may get some buffing compound and try that, but don't think it will improve much.20221026_172315.jpg20221026_172242.jpg20221026_172303.jpg

Aside from the lid and condiment rack, there really isn't anything different about the Skyline over the regular Genesis 1000 of that time. It might have come with upgraded grates and/or flavorizer bars, but those are likely gone or used up by now anyway.
So, the only thing hard is the pristine lid.....which will be a tough one. Patience!

Your photos don't seem to show the fade on the lid.
This one has the stamped stainless steel grates but I don't know if the grill came with them or not. I took some pictures of the lid to show it.

The fade on those lids and such is not like faded paint on an old car where you can buff it out and bring the shine back. It's deeper than that. All you can do at best is "mask" it
Yeah, that makes sense. I will keep an eye out for a better lid, I need a different cookbox for it anyway.

It's funny that I haven't been able to find any interesting grills all year long until now. I'm going to pick up this NG Platinum series tomorrow. The plan now being that it's cookbox will go on the Skyline, it's lid will go on my everyday grill. I will end up with a NG manifold for hopefully someone here that needs one. I will also have a red lid with older gen 1-5 endcaps that someone may want. Screenshot_20221027-213417_Chrome.jpg

I hope the lid isn't suffering from the Weber fade. While there really isn't anything all that special about the platinum versions...just some upscale internals, the lids themselves are unique and kinda cool with the pin striping. A runner up to the Skyline maybe.

I hope the lid isn't suffering from the Weber fade. While there really isn't anything all that special about the platinum versions...just some upscale internals, the lids themselves are unique and kinda cool with the pin striping. A runner up to the Skyline maybe.
I just really like the way the Platinum series lids look. I'm going to assume it's not perfect so it's going to replace the lid on my every day cooker. Even the lid on my garage Platinum series has the beginning of fade on it, just barely noticeable. 20211008_153857.jpg

Don’t feel bad about some fade. It’s still a Skyline! It does seem that these hoods had an even higher propensity to fade than regular black hoods. You also got the condiment rack👍. Everything else can be sourced from other Genesis grills of that era. So, I say welcome to the club!

View attachment 61649
I'm looking into the possibility of having my skyline hood refinished graphics and all. I will post my findings. If it's even possible, the cost may outweigh the benefit. I am going to try really hard not to go down the no expense spared rabbit hole on this restoration.

Back