Weber Genesis 1200 Skyline grill

I'm looking into the possibility of having my skyline hood refinished graphics and all. I will post my findings. If it's even possible, the cost may outweigh the benefit. I am going to try really hard not to go down the no expense spared rabbit hole on this restoration.
Keep it and refinish a plain old black hood.

I was thinking that as well but I think the company is going to need the original lid to recreate the graphics. I did ask about that though, waiting for a response.
I did that, with IPE. $250 each one-time charge for creating the silkscreens, you supply the artwork, $75 per panel to apply them (2 panels on a Series I). $150 to sandblast a red lid and make it blue, $150 for the blue porcelain (I might be confused about that...it may be $150 to sandblast and coat combined). $100 to ship it each way. It can get expensive for something cosmetic, and I don't think you can reasonably expect that it will be what you have in your mind's eye. This was some time ago, so I'd be surprised if things haven't gone up since then. I wanted to create the silkscreens myself but I never got an answer back on that. Steve, as detail-oriented as you are, be sure to convey that to Jeff (IPE), or whoever, at the outset.

Last edited:
I had once started down the road of having him make me a “Skyline kettle.” It would be a cool thing to have, but definitely not cheap by a long stretch. He does stunning work, and I am sure you would be happy if you can afford the price. I personally would hold out for a better original Skyline hood and save his workmanship for something with a unique color or that is otherwise unavailable.

I kinda see it as Jon does. Just my personal opinion, but I would rather have a slightly less than perfect "real" skyline over one that was custom made. It is like getting a newly printed Babe Ruth rookie baseball card. It might new, shiny and in awesome condition, but it isn't the same as the one printed back in 1933. It may look identical, but it isn't quite the same to most people.

If you want a newly coated lid, I would go with a unique and personal design and color. Something no one else has.

I agree, real over “Homage” or downright counterfeit. its like “distressed” musical instruments, just because they look well worn, they are still new and won’t sound like the have been played for fifty years no matter how beaten they are.

I agree, real over “Homage” or downright counterfeit. its like “distressed” musical instruments, just because they look well worn, they are still new and won’t sound like the have been played for fifty years no matter how beaten they are.
And then there is Willie Nelson's guitar :D

I don’t have a problem with having the porcelain redone on a grill restoration project. In fact, I have a really battle-worn “patent pending” 26 inch red kettle that I wish I could afford to have re-coated. It may be original but it is a little like a Babe Ruth baseball card where his face has been worn off. Finding an early 70s red 26 inch “Aristocrat” is a rare find. So I wouldn’t feel bad doing that. If I lived close by like @Dave in KC does it might be a better possibility. As it is with high shipping it is just too pricey for me.

Many of us bring old Genesis grills back to new and consider them “original.” I don’t see anything wrong with restoring porcelain as part of that process.

I will admit, though, that starting with a black kettle and having it sand blasted and recoated into, say, a yellow or Glen Blue one would not be “original” and really would be a “replica.” That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t enjoy owning one, though!

I have had this discussion - even battle - in my other hobby of restoring 1960s Remco Seaview toy submarines. Much like our grills - and classic cars for that matter - this involves repairs, fabricated replacement parts and, in my case, replicated cardboard boxes that they came in. For display purposes, I would rather have a set that has been restored to look like it did on Christmas morning. Some hobbyists agree with me, others vehemently disagree.

8334C39E-B1C4-406B-93B4-E6B98D018374.jpeg

image.jpg

I don’t have a problem with having the porcelain redone on a grill restoration project. In fact, I have a really battle-worn “patent pending” 26 inch red kettle that I wish I could afford to have re-coated. It may be original but it is a little like a Babe Ruth baseball card where his face has been worn off. Finding an early 70s red 26 inch “Aristocrat” is a rare find. So I wouldn’t feel bad doing that. If I lived close by like @Dave in KC does it might be a better possibility. As it is with high shipping it is just too pricey for me.

Many of us bring old Genesis grills back to new and consider them “original.” I don’t see anything wrong with restoring porcelain as part of that process.

I will admit, though, that starting with a black kettle and having it sand blasted and recoated into, say, a yellow or Glen Blue one would not be “original” and really would be a “replica.” That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t enjoy owning one, though!

I have had this discussion - even battle - in my other hobby of restoring 1960s Remco Seaview toy submarines. Much like our grills - and classic cars for that matter - this involves repairs, fabricated replacement parts and, in my case, replicated cardboard boxes that they came in. For display purposes, I would rather have a set that has been restored to look like it did on Christmas morning. Some hobbyists agree with me, others vehemently disagree.

View attachment 61731

View attachment 61732
Well there's a blast from the past

I guess that debate will go on for most all hobbies involving older stuff. For me it's been in the bicycle hobby. In the early 70's I was working in a bike shop during high school. A couple of the older guys (19-20) were debating about nickel plating the handlebars of a late 19th century high wheeler. It got pretty loud and heated.

Different strokes for different folks.

I guess that debate will go on for most all hobbies involving older stuff. For me it's been in the bicycle hobby. In the early 70's I was working in a bike shop during high school. A couple of the older guys (19-20) were debating about nickel plating the handlebars of a late 19th century high wheeler. It got pretty loud and heated.

Different strokes for different folks.
I'm the same way with "resto mods". I hate them.

Well, I am glad our discussions don't get to that point on this forum. We all have ideas and preferences and I like to see the different views on stuff like this.

Classics will always be classics. Properly restored items will be “restored“ nothing wrong with hat either.
I saw a “Flying Sub” a few years ago at an antique show, that was cool as all get out! No box though.

I did that, with IPE. $250 each one-time charge for creating the silkscreens, you supply the artwork, $75 per panel to apply them (2 panels on a Series I). $150 to sandblast a red lid and make it blue, $150 for the blue porcelain (I might be confused about that...it may be $150 to sandblast and coat combined). $100 to ship it each way. It can get expensive for something cosmetic, and I don't think you can reasonably expect that it will be what you have in your mind's eye. This was some time ago, so I'd be surprised if things haven't gone up since then. I wanted to create the silkscreens myself but I never got an answer back on that. Steve, as detail-oriented as you are, be sure to convey that to Jeff (IPE), or whoever, at the outset.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be cost prohibitive for me to do, but am curious as to the feasibility of it.

Classics will always be classics. Properly restored items will be “restored“ nothing wrong with hat either.
I saw a “Flying Sub” a few years ago at an antique show, that was cool as all get out! No box though.
This is the first box I replicated. It was the original offering of the Seaview in a 3-D “window box.” I still remember it under my Christmas tree when I was probably five years old😎. The few originals of this box that still exist are virtually always yellowed and faded, and they are often damaged. To me, having a like-new box brings back a lot of the charm and memories to this cool old toy. I had a printer help me, and we reproduced each individual piece of the box printed directly on cardboard, just like the original. Interestingly, the box assembles with no tape, staples, or glue other than that holding the clear cellophane window in.

CC5F7805-6B0A-43FF-A86A-F4B14DA4FD7D.jpeg

OK, I got my donor grill home and the cookbox is pretty much perfect. The Platinum series lid has fade (of course) but is still good enough to use on my everyday grill. I also thought I might try CLR or Lime Away on the lid and control panel, my thinking being that some of what's on there may be hard water deposits. It probably won't work but I'm going to give it a shot.20221028_214718.jpg

It's also become impossible for me to hide this from my wife anymore since now I have three grills in the garage. Luckily, she didn't say too much about it but I'm pushing it now.
20221028_214824-jpg.61758
20221028_214819.jpg

Attachments

• 20221028_214824.jpg
    20221028_214824.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 155

Back