Weber Genesis 1200 Skyline grill

I'm not holding out much hope for the CLR. But I am interested in finding out how it works for you
I'm not either, if it works I'll let everyone know. Bruce, have you ever painted a cookbox or end caps without stripping them first? I think I have 100% paint on this cookbox and maybe it would look good? What do you think?

End caps Are fine to paint. But you will get less than acceptable acceptable results from painting the lid. It might look OK right after painting. But it will soon chip and scratch.
If you want to paint the end caps, You do not need to strip them If the existing paint on them is in good shape. But if there is any bubbling or chipping or peeling you need to strip them 1st. You can do that with an angle grinder and a wire cup brush or you can take them to a sandblaster and have them blasted

End caps Are fine to paint. But you will get less than acceptable acceptable results from painting the lid. It might look OK right after painting. But it will soon chip and scratch.
If you want to paint the end caps, You do not need to strip them If the existing paint on them is in good shape. But if there is any bubbling or chipping or peeling you need to strip them 1st. You can do that with an angle grinder and a wire cup brush or you can take them to a sandblaster and have them blasted
No, I would never repaint the lid. I have gone both routes on the cookbox and end caps. I have had them sandblasted and powder coated which looks fantastic but costs money. I have also stripped and painted them myself. This method is way cheaper but doesn't look as good. I was just wondering if cleaning a cookbox with all it's paint still on it and painting it would work out ok.

It's also become impossible for me to hide this from my wife anymore since now I have three grills in the garage. Luckily, she didn't say too much about it but I'm pushing it now.
20221028_214824-jpg.61758
View attachment 61759
I’m entering that wife realm tomorrow, I’m picking up a burgundy Genesis 1000XL!

I’m entering that wife realm tomorrow, I’m picking up a burgundy Genesis 1000XL!
Yeah, I love my wife to death but don't really like explaining why I do these things. She still doesn't understand why one of the grills is just for looking at and I don't have the heart to tell her that the skyline is just going to be for looking at too. I'm going to whittle it down to three grills and parts that I can hide in the garage.

No, I would never repaint the lid. I have gone both routes on the cookbox and end caps. I have had them sandblasted and powder coated which looks fantastic but costs money. I have also stripped and painted them myself. This method is way cheaper but doesn't look as good. I was just wondering if cleaning a cookbox with all it's paint still on it and painting it would work out ok.
If you do that, you will want to make sure you clean up the cook box real well before painting. Any leftover impurities on the paint before you repaint it could cause issues.

Yeah, I love my wife to death but don't really like explaining why I do these things. She still doesn't understand why one of the grills is just for looking at and I don't have the heart to tell her that the skyline is just going to be for looking at too. I'm going to whittle it down to three grills and parts that I can hide in the garage.
I have long past the ability to hide. My wife loves to ask me in front of friends and acquaintances to tell just how many grills I have. I can’t give a straight answer since I don’t even know the exact amount 🤣!

I wasn't going to start messing with any of this until spring but it was nice out today and I couldn't resist. I started to disassemble the cookbox donor grill. I can't pull the outside burner tubes out, previous owner must have cranked the guide bolts down on the burner tube replacement last time. I cleaned off around the bolts, the cookbox bolt too, and sprayed on some penetratrating oil. I'll let it soak in overnight now before I try to loosen them. I'm not going to fight with them or risk breaking something.

Yeah, patience is definitely a friend in working on old grills! I have paid the “stupid tax” almost every time I tried to rush or force something.

I also have to try to exercise patience when there is grill stuff I am itching to do but tax returns, house problems, church and friend commitments, and “honey-do” items all conspire to push off that wish to some other day. And, no longer a Floridian, I have to keep in mind the race to do what I can before winter😲🥶!

Yeah, patience is definitely a friend in working on old grills! I have paid the “stupid tax” almost every time I tried to rush or force something.

I also have to try to exercise patience when there is grill stuff I am itching to do but tax returns, house problems, church and friend commitments, and “honey-do” items all conspire to push off that wish to some other day. And, no longer a Floridian, I have to keep in mind the race to do what I can before winter😲🥶!
Absolutely, I always try to do what I'm "supposed" to do before I play with my toys. I'm probably going to end up doing a lot of this in the garage with a space heater going this winter anyway. This whole thing involves the grill I cook on every day as I want to tear that one down and give it a minor refresh and deciding what parts from which grill are going where. I should have a better idea after I tear down the Skyline and see what's going on with its wobbly frame.

STEVE: those bolts are not supposed to come out. Do not try. Most times they will twist off. You must remove the manifold and slide the tubes out from under the guide bolts. If the tubes are stuck. Use a large flat head screw driver to pry them out to the right and out from under the bolts.

STEVE: those bolts are not supposed to come out. Do not try. Most times they will twist off. You must remove the manifold and slide the tubes out from under the guide bolts. If the tubes are stuck. Use a large flat head screw driver to pry them out to the right and out from under the bolts.
I was just going to loosen them a little, not take them out. The previous owner must have tightened them down on the burner tubes. I did manage to pry them out with a screwdriver. That's the first time I ever had a problem getting those out. Thanks Bruce, you may have saved me a big headache. Hopefully when I get the inside of the cookbox cleaned out, they will go back in a little easier.

I was just going to loosen them a little, not take them out. The previous owner must have tightened them down on the burner tubes. I did manage to pry them out with a screwdriver. That's the first time I ever had a problem getting those out. Thanks Bruce, you may have saved me a big headache. Hopefully when I get the inside of the cookbox cleaned out, they will go back in a little easier.
No matter how tightly a PO may have tightened them or not, it's physically impossible to have them clamp down on the burner end. It's on a shoulder in the casting. And believe Bruce and I you will not budge them without fully breaking them. Get a long heavy screwdriver, work it down between the flat of the burner between the cook box and pry it away. It will come out

No matter how tightly a PO may have tightened them or not, it's physically impossible to have them clamp down on the burner end. It's on a shoulder in the casting. And believe Bruce and I you will not budge them without fully breaking them. Get a long heavy screwdriver, work it down between the flat of the burner between the cook box and pry it away. It will come out
I did resist my temptation to try and loosen them and got them out exactly as you described. They must have been "glued" in by years of grease, I just never had any problems pulling them out before. I guess I was due .

They come from the factory preinstalled and "frozen". I don't know exactly how they are "frozen" by weber, but they are not ever intended to be loosened, tightened or removed. It probably would have been wise for Weber to install brackets without the screwdriver or hex head, so that users would understand they are not meant to be messed with.

I guess this is what makes working on these old grills interesting. The head of the cookbox bolt snapped right off when I started to turn it. The box came right out though because the frame crossmember disintegrated, leaving me with this mess. This is the good cookbox so I will be treading lightly here.20221030_150944.jpg20221030_151009.jpg20221030_151729.jpg

Steve, very common. Both issues.
Here is help on the cross member.

And here is help with the frozen bolt.

Back