Weber Genesis 1200 Skyline grill

Just read through all 12 pages, and thinking I may need to get in gear over the winter to get my Skyline back in shape.
Found it last year as a Craigslist freebie, giving location and first come gets it.
Had to pass a lame excuse for leaving the house to my wife....
Put it in the garage the next day (wife at work), and forgot about it.

Cleaning the garage last week I "found" it, dragged it out to the driveway.
Needed an upgrade to the propane hose assembly, that's all set now thanks to Amazon.
Fired it up, burned it off, all works as expected.

Used it last night, cod on a CI skillet, asparagus on the grates.

13 flavorizer deep box, has the condiment rack, frame is sturdy and stable. Durawood. Wheels are in good shape. Cookbox is straight. Has both the swing and the warming grates, and pressed steel grates. I'll be wondering if all these attributes are original.

And yes, it has the Weber fade on the lid. But I'm going to embrace it, not try to remedy it. I've got a few wear marks on my body too.

Learned a lot through the past 12 pages. I'll consider starting a new thread when I get going, meeting up with the conundrums.

Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Just read through all 12 pages, and thinking I may need to get in gear over the winter to get my Skyline back in shape.
Found it last year as a Craigslist freebie, giving location and first come gets it.
Had to pass a lame excuse for leaving the house to my wife....
Put it in the garage the next day (wife at work), and forgot about it.

Cleaning the garage last week I "found" it, dragged it out to the driveway.
Needed an upgrade to the propane hose assembly, that's all set now thanks to Amazon.
Fired it up, burned it off, all works as expected.

Used it last night, cod on a CI skillet, asparagus on the grates.

13 flavorer deep box, has the condiment rack, frame is sturdy and stable. Durawood. Wheels are in good shape. Cookbox is straight. Has both the swing and the warming grates, and pressed steel grates. I'll be wondering if all these attributes are original.

And yes, it has the Weber fade on the lid. But I'm going to embrace it, not try to remedy it. I've got a few wear marks on my body too.

Learned a lot through the past 12 pages. I'll consider starting a new thread when I get going, meeting up with the conundrums.

Thanks to all.
Thanks for posting.

Pics?

And I'm curious how long it hid in the garage?

Thanks for posting.

Pics?

And I'm curious how long it hid in the garage?

Just a year or so.

There's some pics in other threads, getting the propane upgrade in place. Maybe not of the grill itself, just the guts.

As long as I'm in the "group" I'll express....

Up until a few years ago I was a longtime charcoal/lump guy only. Well over 30 years. Many grills, many types.

Drove by a roadside Weber, stuffed it in the back of my Outback with my wife in the front seat asking what the hell was I thinking (after dumping out the mouse nest).

Two weeks later that grill was refurbed and at my daughters house as a gift.

Now, I think I have (at minimum) 7 or 8 gassers in various places around or in the house. Have also flipped 3 or 4 in the past year.

Shoot me now.

Well, redoing the porcelain on the Skyline lid, along with the graphics is doable. I sent him ( Jeff at IPE) some pictures of the lid and he is close to having something to show me. I still don't have any idea what this will cost and that will have a large bearing on whether or not I can seriously consider or justify doing it. I will report my further findings.

Steve, we will all be interested to hear. I think you better be prepared. Unfortunately, too, the cost of shipping both ways will be significant as well. I do believe Jeff could make it look great, though!

This is the thread where I talked about trying to straighten out a bowed cookbox on a Genesis 1000 and it did work to some degree. The grates won't fall in to the grill anymore when brushing them but it did still bow back out somewhat so I thought I would try one more thing. I bought a 1/4" square steel rod from home depot for $7 to use as a spacer between the grates and the cookbox. I haven't installed it yet because I have noticed something after using the grill a few more times. When the the grill is hot the grates don't slide around anymore than they do on my other grills. In other words, the heat from the grill seems to tighten everything up again. Weird, right? I don't think I'm imagining this since I went out of my way to pay attention to it the last time I cooked on it.

Get that thing roaring hot and put a clamp across it front to back before it cools down. If you want to super heat the cookbox, just lay a sheet of alauminum foil over the grates.....just be careful because you could get it far hotter than you really intend.

Get that thing roaring hot and put a clamp across it front to back before it cools down. If you want to super heat the cookbox, just lay a sheet of alauminum foil over the grates.....just be careful because you could get it far hotter than you really intend.
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. It can't be done with the lid on it because of the way the clamps need to go on. I'm going to use it for a while as my every day grill and see what happens now before I mess with it again. Like I said, it all seems to tighten right up to spec when heated. Will it stay that way? I'll keep you posted.

If you bolt in a good piece of steel or even heavy aluminum angle stock wouldn't that force it straight hot or cold? I had thought about that for some of you who have faced warped boxes

This is an update on the grill with the warped cookbox that I straightened out with a pipe clamp. I already have a bunch of cooks on it this spring and it's still holding fine. I don't even think about it anymore, so I guess I can definitely recommend trying it before tossing the grill out.IMG-20230525-WA0000.jpeg

Nice - The grill looks great! I did the same with 2 Qs and a Silver, but I eventually sold them so I never got a long term update. That is great news.

Most of this grill is actually the Skyline that I picked up last fall. I combined parts between that one and a platinum series that I got around the same time to come up with a grill I could use every day. The best parts of the Skyline went on to my previous every day grill in anticipation of a full restoration, which I haven't gotten around to yet. Technically speaking, my every day grill that features the previously bowed cookbox and frame from the Skyline is my third best grill. I did a deep cleaning of it and restored a few parts of it to end up with something that looks decent and works flawlessly after twenty five years. I will eventually get back to the restoration of the Skyline and hope to make it brand new again.

I'm in between projects around the house so I thought I would put some time into cleaning up my Skyline a little bit so I can at least feel good about using it. I decided to start with the stamped stainless steel grates that I believe we're original to the grill. They were completely covered in a thick layer of carbon build up so I put a wire wheel in my drill and went to work. I got them pretty clean although they were never going to look new again. I also soaked them over night in the sink and ran them through the dishwasher to get them as clean as possible.IMG_20230606_162013913_HDR.jpg

The bracket that holds the little grease tray was all rusted in out so I ordered a new one from Amazon. I also replaced the little white hubcaps on the glide axle, it seems those are missing at least half the time from these grills.IMG_20230606_185634820_HDR.jpgIMG_20230606_185644201_HDR.jpg

Reattach the badge to the lid. I got lucky because I only had one new fastener left and I was able to reuse one of the original ones. I just have to give her a bath and she's ready to use. I'm still going to do a more in depth resto on it, hopefully I'll get to it by the end of summer.IMG_20230606_185654437_HDR.jpg

Back