Weber Genesis 1000 Resto Mod

_Branden_

TVWBB Fan
Greetings all.
I stumbled on this forum the other day after searching for parts to start my new project. I am glad I found you guys because I have learned a lot about this old grill in all the great rebuild threads. I had been wanting to do a project like this for awhile and I found the perfect candidate last week less than 5 miles from my house and for only $25. I believe it to be a 1996 (ER serial number) Weber Genesis 1100 LP. Its in great shape and the frame and firebox are solid. The previous owner took great care of it and stored it in the garage. The burners were recently replaced so that will save me a little cash and with a little elbow grease she will clean up good or better than new by the time I get finished. I think I am only missing a couple small parts.

IMG_8807.jpgIMG_8808.jpg

Last edited:
I would have taken more pictures if I knew I was going to do a thread on rebuilding it. Better late than never. I got the grill completely torn down and ready for the next step.

Shopping list:
SS Grates
SS flavorizer bars
New casters
New drip tray and rack
New propane tank hanger/gauge
New SS hardware
New cedars slats
New regulator

Attachments

• IMG_8811.jpg
    IMG_8811.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8812.jpg
    IMG_8812.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8813.jpg
    IMG_8813.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8814.jpg
    IMG_8814.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8815.jpg
    IMG_8815.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8817.jpg
    IMG_8817.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8818.jpg
    IMG_8818.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8826.jpg
    IMG_8826.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 55
This is one of the parts I would like to find.
If you know where I can get one please let me know.

Attachments

• 2020-08-10_5-12-27.jpg
    2020-08-10_5-12-27.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 56
This is one of the parts I would like to find.
If you know where I can get one please let me know.

Branden, if you cannot find that part, someone on here posted a template to use to make one yourself. I cannot remember which thread though. Maybe someone with a better memory can chime in with it.

It looks like you have a great start on that rebuild. That wood even looks surprisingly good.
Good luck and keep us posted.

It looks like you have a great start on that rebuild. That wood even looks surprisingly good.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks, and yes the wood isn’t too bad. It was painted/stained grey. I might actually sand a few down and consider refinishing them instead of replacing.

Thanks, and yes the wood isn’t too bad. It was painted/stained grey. I might actually sand a few down and consider refinishing them instead of replacing.
I just did a grill for my friend almost done. He decided to save all the wood since it was in good shape and it was painted with the grey also. He did all the sanding and staining and he used a solid stain/sealer used for decks on it. I love the look of the natural also don't get me wrong but since it needed some wood filler here and there that was not an option. Also with this stuff you could do 2 coats in a weekend if you wanted to and be done with it. Total cost of the stain was $4.00 as it was a sample can at home depot tinted to his color selection.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 46
I just did a grill for my friend almost done. He decided to save all the wood since it was in good shape and it was painted with the grey also. He did all the sanding and staining and he used a solid stain/sealer used for decks on it. I love the look of the natural also don't get me wrong but since it needed some wood filler here and there that was not an option. Also with this stuff you could do 2 coats in a weekend if you wanted to and be done with it. Total cost of the stain was $4.00 as it was a sample can at home depot tinted to his color selection.
That looks pretty good. I already have some stain on hand so I guess I will give it a go and see what happens.

Branden, not sure how much those boards will clean up but if you using existing stain not sure what your results would be and you would still need to seal them with spar or something. The product I listed is a solid stain sealer so it basically is an all in one product.

Sanded and stained the handle today. I had some stain/sealer from another project. Turned out pretty good but I don’t think the table slats are worth the effort. After closer inspection I found most are warped and just not that nice. I think I may keep the handle. I won’t know until I get the lumber and start making the slats. I also polished up the gas valves. I still need to clean the insides. I need to get some carb cleaner and grease.

Attachments

• EA04F4FA-8B85-4F8C-86DD-50C408695FA3.jpeg
    EA04F4FA-8B85-4F8C-86DD-50C408695FA3.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 34
  • C70796B4-D531-4DC5-95CC-ABAB18111A52.jpeg
    C70796B4-D531-4DC5-95CC-ABAB18111A52.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 35
Has anybody ever had the cook box powder coated with high temp powder coating? The guy I use for powder coating recommended it but I’m skeptical.

THe original coating from the factory was powder coating. If he thinks it would work for a grill cook box, I imagine it would. He should know if he is in the business. Just don't do the inside. Only the outside.
How much would it cost?

THe original coating from the factory was powder coating. If he thinks it would work for a grill cook box, I imagine it would. He should know if he is in the business. Just don't do the inside. Only the outside.
How much would it cost?

I’m not sure of the cost yet. He gives a good discount for the cash price, so hoping to strike a deal on sand blasting and powder coating all the black parts including the frame, lid side panels, and cook box

Back