Weber Genesis 1000 Resto Mod

Oh, the frame too......NICE. Keep us posted.
Yup. This is going to be my daily driver and I love fixing old stuff so it’s a win win. I get the satisfaction of tinkering in the garage and get a cool, reliable tool to use for years to come. I’d much rather spend the money doing this project instead of dropping two or three times as much on a new gas Weber.

Yup. This is going to be my daily driver and I love fixing old stuff so it’s a win win. I get the satisfaction of tinkering in the garage and get a cool, reliable tool to use for years to come. I’d much rather spend the money doing this project instead of dropping two or three times as much on a new gas Weber.
I had my suspicions, and I wasn't going to say anything, but then I saw your signature.

I think you might be showing signs of Weberitis.

Yeah, this is going to be a new grill when it's done. Can't wait to see it finished.

Bruce or anyone, have we nailed down the powder coating texture Weber used? Smooth on frame, what kind of texture on end caps? On my 2002 Summit 450, it has almost a sanded texture.

Took this photo in low light with timed exposure. It's actually black, not gray, but you can really see the texture.

IMG_0786[1].JPG

IMG_0788[1].JPG

Sanded and stained the handle today. I had some stain/sealer from another project. Turned out pretty good but I don’t think the table slats are worth the effort. After closer inspection I found most are warped and just not that nice. I think I may keep the handle. I won’t know until I get the lumber and start making the slats. I also polished up the gas valves. I still need to clean the insides. I need to get some carb cleaner and grease.
Branden that handle looks like it came out pretty good.

I had my suspicions, and I wasn't going to say anything, but then I saw your signature.

I think you might be showing signs of Weberitis.
Yup, I have accepted my condition and learned to live with it years ago. I am happy to have found a group with the same diagnosis.

Branden on the first 1000 I did could not save the handle ended up making my own out of a piece of 1x4 cedar. Ripped it on my table saw as if I recall the handle is a little bit wider than the slats then I put 2 grooves in it for some character it was and idea I saw someone in another forum do. Do to the thickness of the wood where it goes into the end caps I had to sand it in those places so it would fit.

1597155231021.png

Branden on the first 1000 I did could not save the handle ended up making my own out of a piece of 1x4 cedar. Ripped it on my table saw as if I recall the handle is a little bit wider than the slats then I put 2 grooves in it for some character it was and idea I saw someone in another forum do. Do to the thickness of the wood where it goes into the end caps I had to sand it in those places so it would fit.

View attachment 11552
I like that idea a lot. I may have to copy you. I was also thinking of drilling some holes as decoration but I like that idea better.

Just dropped off my parts to be powdercoated.
$200 cash.
  1. Cook box and lid side panels will be blasted and then coated with a high temperature textured powdercoat. The inside will not be coated.

2. Frame, valve manifold, table brackets, and propane mount will be powdercoat with a satin black finish as recommended by my coater. He said he has coated several grills and this is the best option when it comes to cleaning up grease and wiping down in the future when the frame needs to be cleaned up.

That sounds like a pretty decent deal for blasting and coating all those parts. Powder coating is sooo much more durable than regular spray paint.
Post up some photos when you get it all done.

Does anyone have the part number and or pictures of the fasteners/inserts that attach the control panel to the frame? I am missing those so not sure what they look like.

DCA375AD-BE86-4B70-AB47-8266CC698C84.png

I need to find another cast aluminum Weber emblem/badge.
Does anybody have one they could part with?

EDIT: FOUND ONE

Last edited:

Back