Weber Genesis 1000 Resto Mod

Does anyone have experience with grillgrates on a Genesis 1000? They have caught my eye but I have not seen many using them.

They have been discussed in the past. Do a search for "grillgrates" in this forum. That being said, I really like ours.

Cooking without a crutch is better IMO. Honestly invest in quality grates like from Dave Santana.

I agree, after seeing a few threads about them and videos on you tube.... meh. I’ll stick with what I know. Stainless grates. I do love gadgets though.

In other news, I was at the hardware store picking up SS hardware and was eyeballing some beautiful Teak wood. It would be so nice to use for the slats on my grill but it was $35 a foot! Talk about sticker shock. I’ll be using cedar.

I agree, after seeing a few threads about them and videos on you tube.... meh. I’ll stick with what I know. Stainless grates. I do love gadgets though.

A true gadget guy would have both, eventually.
In other news, I was at the hardware store picking up SS hardware and was eyeballing some beautiful Teak wood. It would be so nice to use for the slats on my grill but it was $35 a foot! Talk about sticker shock. I’ll be using cedar.
I think I read somewhere that 1x6 cedar used for fencing is the right thickness.

I love the handle too. I can’t take credit for the idea of the two grooves but it sure looks cool I think. I don’t have the tools to make a handle that looks like the stock Weber one but this will do.

I love the handle too. I can’t take credit for the idea of the two grooves but it sure looks cool I think. I don’t have the tools to make a handle that looks like the stock Weber one but this will do.
Wait...what? How did you make the grooves without a router?

EDIT: Absolutely, it does look 'way cool!

I like my GrillGrates, but if you have a deep box, 13 flavorizer bar grill they won't make as big a change. They do better for a Silver/Gold where you only have one row of flavorizer bars. They do even out temperatures, and I suppose could deserve the "crutch" label. I have had some nice results with them, however, and they are definitely more forgiving then regular grates.

IMG_5938 (3).jpeg

IMG_0367 (1).jpeg

I like my GrillGrates, but if you have a deep box, 13 flavorizer bar grill they won't make as big a change. They do better for a Silver/Gold where you only have one row of flavorizer bars. They do even out temperatures, and I suppose could deserve the "crutch" label. I have had some nice results with them, however, and they are definitely more forgiving then regular grates.

View attachment 11796

View attachment 11797

Thanks for the reply Jon. Those steaks do look good!

Back