Weber Directions for Corned Beef

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
I received an email from Weber about cooking corned beef on the grill. After reading them I am at a loss over how this would be better than the oven, crock pot, etc. Seems to me to be a waste of propane and running in and outside.

Yea, I would at least smoke/grill it for a few hours or until it hits 160, then foil and carry on.

Yea, I would at least smoke/grill it for a few hours or until it hits 160, then foil and carry on.
timothy, you're making pastrami, not corned beef. :)

I can see Weber's point in publishing this. It *IS* just another way to use a Weber Kettle. Personally, I see very little reason to do this, unless you just do not have access to a functional oven.

Yeah, in this one, you really are just using your grill as an oven. With the roasting tin covered with foil, you won't get any benefit from smoke, but there's no reason you couldn't do the cook uncovered either the whole time or part of the time. You might need to replenish the liquid to keep things covered properly, though.

As to WHY you would do this (assuming you DO have a functional kitchen), sometimes it's just fun to do it differently. It can test your skills a bit on fire setup and management to maintain temps. ....and (the big one), because you can! ;) I make bread in a camp dutch oven on occasion, and my oven works just fine. I like the process of managing the coals to keep the right temp to turn out a good loaf of bread.

Personally, I don't cook corned beef and cabbage in the house, so I'm not likely to do it on the grill either! :)

R

Yep, follow the directions but use better spices than the crap in the little packets and just put it in the oven. Pretty simple concept, basic method I might do it on the kettle but, my oven works. The only other reason I could possibly do it is if I was going to bake soda bread (which I will) or pies or cakes (which I will not) so, I will give this a maybe. However, the traditional method in the crockpot works so well, I might do that. The way I used to do the church dinner was to cook the beeves the day/night before, cool them overnight then, slice them and heat the sliced deliciousness in sheet pans with some of the cooking broth.
We shall see how I feel about this next week.

Did this recipe a few years ago and you're correct it's just another way to cook it. Came out tasting just like an oven cook. One and done, no better than the oven.

I've done it a few ways on the grill.
One is to smoke grill it and then add to the liquid and the other is braise first then finish on the grill with a glaze.
A lot of different ways to do it, besides indoors.

timothy, you're making pastrami, not corned beef. :)

I can see Weber's point in publishing this. It *IS* just another way to use a Weber Kettle. Personally, I see very little reason to do this, unless you just do not have access to a functional oven.
Why is it pastrami if you smoke it? I always like corned beef better because it not so peppery. If I just slow cooked it at about 225 on the grill with the original spices it is then pastrami? I bought 2 and thought I would do one in the Instant pot and one smoked on the kettle and compare.
Thanks
Joe

Corned beef isn't smoked. Pastrami is smoked. The corning process is pretty much the same, the variations are going to be in the spices. You should not have a variation in salt or sodium nitrites.

The Instant pot is the one thing I haven't tried, yet.
My Wife is part Scot and her B-day is the 17th. She always does the CB&C,C,P, the way her dad and gramps made it, and that's steamed in a nesco broiler ( till tender) then glazed in the oven.
Rest of the year I get to play with different ways. Recently started using the SV with some stout, still haven't quite nailed down the times and temps yet, because recipes are all over the place.

After reading them I am at a loss
I made one of my favorites last weekend, a smoked braised beef chili from Weber's Smoke by Jamie Purviance. Great recipe. I make it a few times a year. But it has a doozy of a mistake in it. The second part of the recipe calls for a dutch oven with a tight fitting lid. A while after the sealed dutch oven is on the grill, the directions say to add lit charcoal and the remaining 2 chunks of wood to keep the temp at around 350. I've never bothered to add that wood. How is the smoke going to penetrate the cast iron???:unsure:

I love Faux Pastrami on the grill (or WSM). However, when it comes to Corned Beef and Cabbage, my wife uses her old stove top Pressure Cooker. You can certainly do it with the Instant Pot with the same results, but my wife has been doing this since we married a couple of lifetimes ago (63 years and counting! I flat out LOVE Corned Beef and Cabbage, etc.

FWIW
Dale53

I love Faux Pastrami on the grill (or WSM). However, when it comes to Corned Beef and Cabbage, my wife uses her old stove top Pressure Cooker. You can certainly do it with the Instant Pot with the same results, but my wife has been doing this since we married a couple of lifetimes ago (63 years and counting! I flat out LOVE Corned Beef and Cabbage, etc.

FWIW
Dale53
Instant pot is just a fancy electronic pressure cooker. We just sold our Fagor SS presure cooker we had for about 30 years after using our Instant pot. I love not having to watch it and turn the stove down after it hits pressure.
I just posted that I used a WSM for the first time yesterday, and used it for a 5 hour Corned Beef cook, then 30 minutes in the Instant Pot and it was fantastic! The flavor and tenderness was mouth watering.

Back