Weber Company Store in Germany

Lynn,
Yep, we overwhelmed them with numbers and by taking control of the air as you mentioned. The US actually had developed a very good larger and more powerful tank but the conclusion was that it was better to ship over three Shermans rather than two of the larger ones, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

The Germans let their engineering abilities blind them to the capabilities of their enemies, particularly the US. Goring told Hitler that the Americans made good refrigerators but not airplanes, and Hitler dismissed the US as a "mongrel nation." On my trip we stopped to look at the parking lot that 45 feet below lays buried Hitler's bunker where he ended his life and the Nazi nightmare.

The tank that entered at the end of the war, early 45 IIRC, was the Pershing. It wasn't there till after the Battle of the Bulge. It was the tank in service in Korea and into the 50's.

American industrial might is what won that war. When war broke out in 1939 , we had the 17th largest military in the world. We were very much an isolationist peace loving country and the thinking was our geographical location was adequate defense. We were difficult to invade. But in a few short years we became the " Arsenal of Democracy " . Its incredible how this country refocused on producing military equipment and soldiers. Both the Japanese and Hitler greatly underestimated our capabilities.

The Japanese saw us through Hollywood. Thought we were a nation more focused on having a party and a good time. That was probably true, but we quickly developed military discipline. But still, we've never had that military mindset or legacy, like the Germans and their Prussian lineage, and probably still don't. We were the Citizen Soldier.

European historians generally give credit to Russia for defeating the Nazis, based mainly on the number of combatants and how much blood they spilled, losses I've seen from 25 million to 30 million dead. But Russia only had one job, field an army and kill Nazis on the ground. We produced men and equipment to fight on land, air, and sea on two fronts in every theatre. And sending 500,000 Dodge trucks to Russia mechanized their army and allowed them to focus on manufacturing T-34's.

Last edited:
Lynn, here in Germany most credit is actually been given to to the Westen Allies. Yes Russia moved in from the East but they also were not very friendly to the civilian population. Especially towards women. The US, Canadian and British forces behaved way more civilized and treated most of the population with great respect. Me as a German I am happy with the D-Day which was the beginning of the end. I am also happy with how it worked out after the war ended.
Another reason why the Tiger tanks didn’t work that well: Germany was very short on fuel. Without major natural oil resources within Germany they had a big problem. And the eastern from toward southern Russia was lost. They even tried to produce artificial fuel by liquifying coal which was plenty around . But that did not work well either. Fortunately.

Jon. I also went to a local HW store today here in Germany to check for Weber gear. There was a huge selection at the local OBI but at $95 Euro or $110 for a 22” SS GBS grate I just could not pull the trigger. That stuff is just to freaking expensive here.
Same for the colored Smokey Joes. Nice but 86 Euro or $95 is hefty. But I will be back next year and could to find find some used cheap stuff and have it stored at my moms place till I pick it up. I decided to bring back some good Italian cheese, German wine and some other goodies. Bought a Bialetti coffee maker in Italy.

Stefan,
I will have to look again but I thought the grate was 79 euros. The ivory Smokey Joe was 89 euros. I agree too much, but I figured I would never have that chance again and my friend acted as an enabler - as if I ever really needed one! Since the principal part of this trip was for our non-profit I was able to fund raise support to help with the travel costs. One of our board members was kind enough to help and told our receptionist that I was to use his gift for “whatever he wants, including souvenirs!” That helped make what I brought home more palatable to my grill-weary wife!

Last edited:
Everything in Germany is "expensive" compared to the US.
No. Not really. Especially food, beer and wine is a lot cheaper in Germany. What they sell as overpriced "artisan" food in the US is kind of standard food and it costs a lot less in Europe. Meaning in general: good bread, meat, veggies and cheese is a lot cheaper in Europe.
And 10 Euro or $11 for a case with 20 x 0.5 Liter of excellent beer. That equals about 4.5 six packs or $2.30 per six pack. Also really good and excellent wine runs for about $5 to $6 a bottle.
On the other hand: Gas is way more expensive. The liter of gas in Italy is about 1.60 Euro. Which equals about $6.7 a gallon.
At the end it might be a wash.

Stefan,
I will have to look again but I thought the grate was 79 euros. The ivory Smokey Joe was 89 euros. I agree too much, but I figured I would never have that chance again and my friend acted as an enabler - as if I ever really needed one! Since the principal part of this trip was for our non-profit I was able to fund raise support to help with the travel costs. One of our board members was kind enough to help and told our receptionist that I was to use his gift for “whatever he wants, including souvenirs!” That helped make what I brought home more palatable to my grill weary wife!
I hear ya. It was a souvenir from overseas. Other people spend money on useless souvenir junk . The ebony grill can be looked at and it can make some good food in case you ever use it. lol. But it will always remind you of that trip. It is the experience and memories that count.

My first year in Germany the exchange rate was 3.33dm to the dollar.
Those were the days. A PFC paycheck went a long ways. By the time
I left after 3 years if had dropped to right at 2dm to dollar. Not so good.

About the best I saw was my first tour in the late 80's and it was about 2-1 I think.

Well, I have to admit that I didn’t have a firm grip on what some things were costing, since Joe paid for some meals. I think what surprised me the most was how kind and helpful almost everyone we met was.

My only other out of the US experience was in central Mexico. The people there, of course, just ooze with warmth and enthusiastic friendliness. I think I expected the German people to be cold and aloof and probably anti-American. Much to the contrary, although reserved, time and again we experienced local Germans going out of their way to help us. Many spoke enough English to get by, but even those who couldn’t were understanding and we worked together to communicate. I felt that we were welcomed as guests, and I hope I showed graciousness in return. I know for sure that I will be redoubling my efforts to be kind and patient with the international visitors we have here in Florida.

Last edited:
Well, I have to admit that I didn’t have a firm grip on what some things were costing, since Joe paid for some meals. I think what surprised me the most was how kind and helpful almost everyone we met was.

My only other out of the US experience was in central Mexico. The people their, of course, just ooze with warmth and enthusiastic friendliness. I think I expected the German people to be cold and aloof and probably anti-American. Much to the contrary, although reserved, time and again we experienced local Germans going out of their way to help us. Many spoke enough English to get by, but even those who couldn’t were understanding and we worked together to communicate. I felt that we were welcomed as guests, and I hope I showed graciousness in return. I know for sure that I will be redoubling my efforts to be kind and patient with the international visitors we have here in Florida.

That's good to know.

I see a lot on the internet that makes me wonder. I guess its best to keep reminding oneself that the internet and reality, are not necessarily the same.

One thing you may have heard that is true is that in Germany ice in your drinks isn't a common thing;)! Just one of those cultural things that I found amusing. Some places just didn't offer ice at all, and a couple would give you just a tiny amount if you requested it. We took a break from German food and did a McDonalds run. What a NICE McDonalds! Anyway, they had the computer screen ordering like they do at the one my son works at here in Hobe Sound, FL (about a dozen languages, though, instead of just English and Spanish!). The McDonalds DID put ice in the drinks, but you could opt on the screen to omit it:rolleyes:.

Yah, I would have thought maybe the ice thing would have changed since I was there 35 years ago. It was that way in other European countries as well.

European version of the Weber Master Touch

The Weber Master Touch as sold here in the US is Weber's nicest "regular" (that is non-Peformer) kettle grill. It stands a little taller and has a GBS grate as well as a second elevated grate. The handles are an exclusive black color. That's the good. The less good is that both grates are the typical nickel chrome plated regular steel. Looks awesome when you see it in the store. Good for a season - maybe - unless you are very zealous about cleanup and storage of them. And, other than the features previously mentioned, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the Master Touch and the next level down.

6Kq9fxj.jpg

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...KlkugEzL7KsREIWGjHEaAkRlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

In Europe, however, they have taken the Master Touch to a higher level.

aWLpHI2.jpg

Note that their version has a hinge that holds the lid in an up or down position:

ne39dqu.jpg

No more trying hang it on the side or using the sure to scratch slide aside holder. This is an overall very useful upgrade to me. Also, those grates you see are STAINLESS. Now, they are NOT 304 but still a lot better than the US ones.

The European Weber kettle also emphasizes the latest electronics with a special holder for your Weber iGrill. I would rather use a Thermoworks product, but I thought it was a nice touch to have a holder fitted on the grill. It certainly gives the classic kettle a modern look!

k6ZVxsH.jpg

So, there you have it. I definitely liked their kettle better, but not the price. No matter. I was able to squeeze an unassembled Smokey Joe into our combined luggage, but taking back a full-size kettle was obviously a non-starter:rolleyes:!

NQPRdGa.jpg

One thing you may have heard that is true is that in Germany ice in your drinks isn't a common thing;)! Just one of those cultural things that I found amusing. Some places just didn't offer ice at all, and a couple would give you just a tiny amount if you requested it. We took a break from German food and did a McDonalds run. What a NICE McDonalds! Anyway, they had the computer screen ordering like they do at the one my son works at here in Hobe Sound, FL (about a dozen languages, though, instead of just English and Spanish!). The McDonalds DID put ice in the drinks, but you could opt on the screen to omit it:rolleyes:.

Yes ice in soft drinks is not common in Germany. And there are no free refills either. When we have visitors from Germany they always order their drinks without ice. Lol
And as for McD. One major difference: McD in Germany does serve beer. And the McRib is available all year round.
Yes the cultural differences can be funny.

Back