Weber Charcoal

I also like Kingsford Pro. It's my go to charcoal because I think it's pretty dang good for the price.

I did recently get a big bag of the Jealous Devil XL briqs and I really liked them, but not sure it's totally worth the premium price.
So I ran the bag of Jealous Devil last weekend. No issue, seemed to burn out faster than Weber though.

Just an FYI - Walked into my local Ace yesterday and the had two bags of Weber on display. An employee told me they had a bunch more in the back.

Just an FYI - Walked into my local Ace yesterday and the had two bags of Weber on display. An employee told me they had a bunch more in the back.

Probably just local inventory. I just checked and AceHardware.com doesn't even have it as a product anymore. Once all the stores sell their inventory, I guess that'll be the last we see of it......until they decide to hopefully start making it again.

Once I get through my leftover stash of KBB, RO, Weber and whatever is left in the shed I'll go to Kingsford Pro. Seeing that we can't burn Charcoal in the summer here the remaining five months or so is in the winter. I don't go through charcoal like I used too. In the summer the pellet grill is used or one of the gassers. I guess right now I only go through two bags or so a year now, not my choice but it is what it is.

Once I get through my leftover stash of KBB, RO, Weber and whatever is left in the shed I'll go to Kingsford Pro. Seeing that we can't burn Charcoal in the summer here the remaining five months or so is in the winter. I don't go through charcoal like I used too. In the summer the pellet grill is used or one of the gassers. I guess right now I only go through two bags or so a year now, not my choice but it is what it is.
I can't find Kingsford Pro anywhere around me. That is one I would be willing to try.

No... I wish I did, the way you guys talk about I wish I did.
Michael, try your local Ace it is available to order at least in ATL. $13.99 a bag take a week or so to get it here, its ship to store not home.

Edit: It looks like in my area anyway if you spend $50 bucks they will deliver it from the store to home for free once it gets there.

Last edited:
I have a few bags of K-Pro in my stash from the Costco sale last year. I don’t think of it as a Weber replacement. It’s great for fast cooks (burgers, dogs and steaks). It’s not so great for longer cooks like whole chickens and roasts, unless you enjoy adding coals. When my Weber supply runs out, I’ll try RO Chefs Select.

J i have the opposite experience with the K-Pro, normal KBB to me is great for fast cooks smoking not so much. I find the K-Pro to be great in my UDS smoker never have to add coals but my charcoal basket is very large even KBB would work.

My wings take an hour and 1/2 the way I do them in the Performer that is stretching the limit in KBB not so with the K-Pro if I remember but again I have plenty of Weber so I use that for those cooks.

I can order K-Pro from Ace I never knew that. Thanks guys! Has anyone use K-Pro and RO Chefs Select? If so what are your thoughts in comparing the two. I may order a single bag just to try and compare. I have to share that I really do not like KBB so I am both a lot hesitant and weirdly interested in trying K-Pro to see if I have the same take away as I do KBB or if I have a completely different experience.

Brian, you could be right. I have no frame of reference with KBB; I haven’t used it in at least fifteen years. I’m only comparing Weber and K-Pro.

Brian, you could be right. I have no frame of reference with KBB; I haven’t used it in at least fifteen years. I’m only comparing Weber and K-Pro.
J, I totally agree the Weber is better. In the last year I had a bag of KBB leftover as well as a bag of K Pro so I wanted to get rid of them that was early in the year I had plenty of Weber. It was just my observation that the KBB lit faster burned quicker than the K Pro. The Weber takes longer to light lasts longer than both.

I will be honest I really can't say my family nor myself noticed any difference on the cooks taste wise between the different charcoals. That does not mean that would be true for everyone. When the Weber is gone and it will be awhile then I will go back to buying the K-Pro when its on sale at Costco.

However anyone in the ATL area who has KBB lying around and can't bring themselves to cook with it I will gladly take it off your hands for free. :)

I have 6.5 bags left, I bought a bunch when I first heard that they were going to discontinue. Generally speaking, it has been very hard to find briquettes near where I live. Lot's of f'ing pellets and lump and some match light mostly. I need to try some new places.

I just bought my first bag of Weber bricks the other day.
Waiting for a nice long cook to try them out.
I have 10 lbs ( 4 bones cut in half ) worth of beef ribs I am itching to get cooked up.
Need friends to help, way too much food, 1 bone is enough food with no sides lol.
Not allowed to have friends over.
You know, because lockdowns and curfews and stuff is really helping.
I would like to start a thread about the government and COVID and what the real problems are....but that sounds like a bad idea.

I can't find Kingsford Pro anywhere around me. That is one I would be willing to try.
Yeah, it isn't very commonly stocked. Try searching - even Target! Last batch I was able to buy was at Costco, but we don't have any near us so I am no longer a member. It saved the day using my CharQ:

With Welsh coal he would be a different engine! | The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board (tvwbb.com)

I think it is interesting about charcoal briquettes. So many people have strong opinions, pro and con, about Kingsford, B&B, Jealous Devil, etc. I guess my nose and taste aren't as sensitive. My only clear observations are that Weber's charcoal burnt long and was great for low and slow on a kettle, whereas Kingsford Professional really is different from regular Kingsford and burns HOT and gets there quickly. Perfect for a grill like the Weber CharQ with limited coal space and not the best air flow. I have never used them, but this would probably apply to the Go Anywhere and Smokey Joe grills, too.

I bought some "South American" briquettes at Menards - a new shopping big box home improvement experience for me here in Indiana. I haven't used any yet, but I have some hopes. I will report back. In lieu of Kingsford Professional, I have also successfully used B&B in my CharQ even though some profess to HATE how it smells. I didn't really notice anything.

Now on pellets, I believe I can tell the difference between some really good pellets vs. run of the mill. Lumber Jack and CookinPellets.com have some great varieties, and Weber's GrillMaster, while way over-priced, is one of my favorites.

Back