Weber charcoal basket question

I guess I don't see a reason they wouldn't be OK to use after all the coating was gone. But, it just seems to me that stuff like that should just be made out of stainless steel when it is going to be exposed to extreme heat or environmental conditions. I realize it would probably double the cost, but like flavorizer bars and cooking grates, there are options for that.

Why would you powder coat charcoal baskets? Thats a dull finish and those look shiny?
Home Depot says its aluminized steel, or is that the same as powder coat?
You can get high heat powder coatings. But I agree, why powder coat charcoal baskets? Aluminized coating goes through an electroplating process as opposed to a 'baking' process.
Electroplating seems to be a more robust method. I'm no metallurgist, so what do I know?
I agree with Bruce. Make them out of SS and be done with it.

Last edited:
I don't think I would feel comfortable using those on my family or guests my guess is Weber would not recommend using them either. There was a guy on here who sold stainless baskets years ago on Amazon it was not Dave Santana I don't think, it was a Dave just can't remember what his last name was. I have a set think they were $30 bucks or so my wife bought me them for Fathers day really solid product knockoffs started to appear if I remember plus Amazon takes their slice also so he got out of the business.

So, there are aftermarket SS baskets available on Amazon?
How are your SS baskets holding up?

Here in the US, Weber has used aluminized steel on charcoal baskets and chimney starters for quite some time, as a form of corrosion resistance.

So, there are aftermarket SS baskets available on Amazon?
How are your SS baskets holding up?
There might be have not looked since my set was purchased. They are holding up great whoever that was made a great product pretty sure they were 304 also.

There was a guy on here who sold stainless baskets years ago on Amazon it was not Dave Santana I don't think, it was a Dave just can't remember what his last name was.
That was forum member David Somerville. For a short time, he was importing stainless steel charcoal baskets and cooking grates, but is no longer in that business.

They should warn you if you need to do a sacrificial burn off.
Doing a first cook and tainting your meal is not a good thing IMO.
Totally agree!
I was gifted a set of Mr, Somerville’s incredibly well made 304 SS baskets maybe five years ago they are somewhat stained and embarrassingly dirty but, they are solid and can attest to the durability off these heavy rascals! I wish I’d gotten a spare set for my “Backup“ kettle!.

Here in the US, Weber has used aluminized steel on charcoal baskets and chimney starters for quite some time, as a form of corrosion resistance.
Also in the US, the One-Touch Cleaning System on most kettles are made of aluminized steel. Certain models (26" & Summit Kamado) come with stainless steel. #IworkforWeber

Back