Weber charcoal basket question

Evan Stockton

Hi all

I just purchased a set of Weber charcoal baskets to use in my charcoal grill for indirect cooking recipes.

After the first use it appears as if the outer layer of the baskets are peeling off as a shiny film - as if the powder coated layer has come off due to the heat. Is this a normal occurrence?

IMG_20220905_125713.jpg

It’s hard to tell from that pic but it looks like a protective plastic film was/is on your CBs and that film should have been removed prior to use. My CBs never looked like that and IIRC they’re made of a pretty cheap metal. Over time and with use, mine has warped and I can see replacing them down the road. Especially for the amount of use I throw at them and the very high temps I burn them at.

Thanks - I found it quite strange indeed. Definitely no impression of a plastic covering prior to use. Assume it would have combusted from the heat if it were?

I'm attaching a few more pictures and have reached out to Weber directly. IMG_20220905_125737.jpgIMG_20220905_125726.jpg

Yes, definitely not good. I have/ had three sets and never seen that, almost like a aluminized coating?
Are you sure those are Weber made, not some knockoff?

I smell fish…
it’s been years since I had a set of original Weber baskets but, they never did that. I was lucky enough to get some when the getting was good on some of Dave Santana‘s were still available. I’d look into that since they were official Weber products. I need to see if I can find my old “rails” from way back when and get them out to use in the ”backup” 22, I had five grills going on Saturday and those would have been handy!

I just noticed that Evan's from South Africa. Wonder if they make them different for over there?

I would hope that isn't something like zinc plating coming off. I don't know what they are normally made of either here in the US or over seas, but making them out of regular plain steel or even stainless would seem prudent.
My first thought was that it was carbon like on the inside of gas grill lids, but I don't see how that would/could form on those coal baskets. It almost looks like a chrome coating.

From Product Information on Amazon. I got a kick out of the dishwasher.
ColorMulticolor
Product Care InstructionsDishwasher Safe
Item Weight0.2 Grams
Number of Pieces1
Model NameWEBER
Is Dishwasher SafeNo

That looks to me like aluminium flaking/delamination. I would suggest a manufacturing fault during electro-plating the steel baskets, if these are Weber 7403s.

Last edited:
Hi all

I just purchased a set of Weber charcoal baskets to use in my charcoal grill for indirect cooking recipes.

After the first use it appears as if the outer layer of the baskets are peeling off as a shiny film - as if the powder coated layer has come off due to the heat. Is this a normal occurrence?

View attachment 58849
Can you post a pic of the box they came in?

Can you post a pic of the box they came in?
Here is the box they came in - it certainly looks legitimate and bought from a reasonably reputable store here in SA. Probably the equivalent to Home Depot over in the US.

Still waiting for the local Weber agent to get back to me - think I will just call them directly tomorrowIMG_20220906_174023.jpg

The box says powder coated steel. So whatever they were powder coated with is coming off. I'll still go with a manufacturing default during the coating process. I'm sure they'll be replaced by Weber without issue.

Yah, Some kind of powder coating. I would think Weber will stand behind them and send out a new set.

Great - I didn't think I'd need the receipt and box (threw them in the recycling bin) but managed to dig them out :)

Will be in contact with them for a replacement. Thanks for all the feedback

Why would you powder coat charcoal baskets? Thats a dull finish and those look shiny?
Home Depot says its aluminized steel, or is that the same as powder coat?

I don't know for sure on what aluminized steel is for sure, but it does seem strange that they would coat it with anything.
I don't think you will need a receipt to get them replaced by Weber.

Back