Weber 70th Anniversary Kettle for 2022

Hmmm. Tested my friends that is a few years old and the difference seemed slight. If any. But i still feel there is one. Hopefully get a chance to test a much older one.

A little research reveals this:

This keeps being said, but I have yet to see one objective test where someone weighed and caliper-measured some kettles from older vintages and then compare them to a brand new one. What has been done to date doesn't seem to support the widely held belief that kettles (and I guess now WSMs) are much thinner and cheaper. I don't know, but maybe I can try since I do have a couple daisy wheel 22s and a couple brand new kettles. That will have to wait until after my tax season is over.

What I will say is that some colors now do not have the same silky feel and shiny finish expected from Weber porcelain. I know this from direct observation of a new "Crimson" kettle and a not that old "Slate Blue" one. On the other hand, the "Indigo" one I bought from Ace this past fall has a very nice finish.

I will see what I can contribute on this question next month.
When you take inflation into account, most current kettles are less expensive than the kettles from 60 or 70 years ago. For instance, a Texan from 1958 cost $49.95, which would be about $490 in 2022 dollars. An Estate went for $54.95, which would be around $539.
Jim-

This has been put to rest. It’s simply not true, not accurate, an old wives’ tale (or likely more accurately, an old mans tale🤣), total bunk.

Unless you’ve got viable data to back, measurements and weights and such, it remains inaccurate.
Hokey balls… y’all act like I shot yer dog er something.
Jeez, get a grip, it’s only my ****ing opinion, for cripes sake

I think people are craving some actual data on this subject. Hasn't someone on WKC already done this research?

Just to take this thread into a slightly different direction...I'm disappointed to see that this grill has shown up in Germany before here in the United States where this 70 year journey began. I'll probably take some flak for saying so, but oh well.

Just to take this thread into a slightly different direction...I'm disappointed to see that this grill has shown up in Germany before here in the United States where this 70 year journey began. I'll probably take some flak for saying so, but oh well.

This may have to do with broken international supply/shipping logistics. It may not have been Weber's initial intention.

As for flak, stores are totally out of stock. More flak is being held up on a container ship offshore of Seattle. So, wait a month or two.

A little research reveals this:

Yup, that's me, but it's many years outdated. I'm currently a member of our Global Product Management team for the charcoal category. Also, my favorite grill now is my Summit Charcoal Grill Center.

I think people are craving some actual data on this subject. Hasn't someone on WKC already done this research?

Hey Chris, there were a myriad of factors that went into Europe launching 70th Kettles before the US, mostly related to the particulars of their region specific business models. If it's any consolation, Europe only gets the Hollywood Gray kettle. The US will get all 4 colors, and it won't be too much longer until they launch. Hang in there!

Yup, that's me, but it's many years outdated. I'm currently a member of our Global Product Management team for the charcoal category. Also, my favorite grill now is my Summit Charcoal Grill Center.
That’s awesome. I think we need to help you get set up with a restored Genesis Jr.!

DB22E813-42C1-4063-B641-FB3130AD03B0.jpeg

Hey Chris, there were a myriad of factors that went into Europe launching 70th Kettles before the US, mostly related to the particulars of their region specific business models. If it's any consolation, Europe only gets the Hollywood Gray kettle. The US will get all 4 colors, and it won't be too much longer until they launch. Hang in there!
Thanks for the explanation, John. I wasn't sure if there was some logic to the decision or whether someone in Germany jumped the gun and posted on IG prematurely. Still, it seems like a marketing faux pas to me...just my opinion.

What the heck is "Hollywood Gray"? Even in the US, what is that? In Europe, you should have called it "Newcastle Gray"!
70th Anniversary Kettles come in four different colors. Hollywood Gray, Diner Green, Rock N Roll Blue, and Hot Rod Yellow. We wanted to come up with unique names that paid homage to 1950's Americana, and they are a bit more exciting than just gray, green, light blue, yellow, etc. It's also a nod to how we used to name our kettles in the past, i.e. The Statesman, The Gourmet, etc. Using different names by region could add unnecessary complexity and confusion. Plus, we're celebrating the heritage of Weber having it's roots as an American icon. Everyone in Europe knows what Hollywood is, but the same can't be said for Newcastle. That name could speak to someone in the UK, but might not resonate as well in Germany, Spain, Italy, Denmark, etc.

Agreed the business model in Europe is different than here in the US. Over there they are more marketed as high end grills at much much higher prices. All the grills cost more in Euro than here in $USD.
Also Europe always had a slightly different selection. E.g. the Smokey Joe grills got offered in Europe in different colors years before they came to the US. And in Europe they offer a stainless GBS grate for the 22" kettle which is not available in the US. Plus some accessories which are not available in the US.
But it is nice to see that more bright colors are coming back. Will the GBS grate pictured on the teaser website be the SS grate or the standard plated grate?

Last edited:
Weber has done this to many times, American's buy more weber's but always wait and see if we will get what other countries have already. Was Weber started in Europe or America dang!!!

Back