We can blame it on the pellet grills

I spend less by myself than when my wife goes with me!
Totally agree, when they have deals they are great, not everything is a fabulous deal all the time.

I guess I should have explained the Costco thing a little better. It's not that I go nuts buying things we don't really need. It's the fact that we enjoy going together in case there is something we see that one of us might want, we can discuss it and make a decision together. I've gone solo many times when Barb's been at work or busy with something else. But with a purpose to get specific things AKA the list.
My main attractions are in the meat department ribs, pork belies, pork roasts, steaks. Other things we get are gas, propane, dog food, coffee, vitamins. batteries and some grocery items. Other than that we shop locally.

Since we're turning this into the Costco thread :) I'll rub it in about the gas price at our closest store.
Currently $1.89 a gallon, lowest I've seen in a long time.

Costco gas is why we belong. It's over 30 cents per gallon cheaper than area stations without including the 4% cashback for using Costco Visa. The gas savings alone pays for our annual membership in about 3-4 months. And It's barely a mile from home. Not to mention all the free lunches, er, samples on the weekends!

Bob, that hurts. ;) $2.39 at Sam's club here but gas is always cheaper up there.
Yep, as an expat St Louisan you probably knew MO has the second lowest gas tax, Alaska is lowest, and we have those refineries right across that big creek to the east.

Yep, as an expat St Louisan you probably knew MO has the second lowest gas tax, Alaska is lowest, and we have those refineries right across that big creek to the east.

I figured it was dropping due to election year or fear of EVs, cost was ~2.59 last time I noticed.

I'll add a couple items to the Costco thread: 3# bags of almonds/walnuts/pecans, cheeses

Since we're turning this into the Costco thread :) I'll rub it in about the gas price at our closest store.
Currently $1.89 a gallon, lowest I've seen in a long time.

OK, a Costco thread, I buy all my beef steaks there. A study of several years duration disclosed they have the best quality and usually the best price.

Yup! However Sam's Club sometimes sell Pork Steaks for $1.24 per pound. Now if I could just find Provel cheese locally. I miss Imo's Pizza.

I guess I should have explained the Costco thing a little better. It's not that I go nuts buying things we don't really need. It's the fact that we enjoy going together in case there is something we see that one of us might want, we can discuss it and make a decision together. I've gone solo many times when Barb's been at work or busy with something else. But with a purpose to get specific things AKA the list.
My main attractions are in the meat department ribs, pork belies, pork roasts, steaks. Other things we get are gas, propane, dog food, coffee, vitamins. batteries and some grocery items. Other than that we shop locally.
We already know you have a great relationship. Share a love of things, especially bbq. Do not have to rub it in ;)

Oh wait doesn't she read this blog...
J/k

But I agree, Costco can be fun and in Chicago costco gas saves you a lot of money! Sometimes over a dollar a gallon compared to the local places.

Same thing happened to Bacon when people started realizing that fat wasn’t killing them sugar was. Bacon use to be so cheap Atkins killed that.

This says the demand for brisket is driving up the price, due to the ease of using pellet grills.

ok :confused:

I would think the proliferation of Texas style barbecue joints may have a larger impact. Or restaurants and fast food places trying to serve brisket.

But the people quoted in this article, would know where the demand is coming from, and evidently its a bunch of backyard barbecue guys on their pellet grills :) Pellet grills are just too darn easy.

Why brisket is more expensive than ever
Demand for brisket is on fire—whether it's at Maddon's Post in Chicago or in a backyard near you. Here's why.

I was listening to some podcast (I think it had Aaron Franklin on it) and they said that Arby's was a huge reason why brisket is so expensive. The secret is getting out about all "cheap" cuts of meat. Brisket, flank, hangar, skirt steak. Hopefully people keep buying boneless skinless chicken breast so my chicken thigh prices stay low.

I was listening to some podcast (I think it had Aaron Franklin on it) and they said that Arby's was a huge reason why brisket is so expensive. The secret is getting out about all "cheap" cuts of meat. Brisket, flank, hangar, skirt steak. Hopefully people keep buying boneless skinless chicken breast so my chicken thigh prices stay low.

Here here! I’m with you on that!!

I do like chicken thighs and at $.87 a pound they are a bargain, but Safeway has frequent sales on boneless skinless chicken breast for $.99 a pound I always load up with ten pounds. Great for soups and chicken sammies.

I blame it on those damn craft beer drinking, mustache waxing, beard conditioning, skinny jean wearing, hipsters. :rolleyes:;):LOL:

Go figure, chicken wings at Fry.s just before the super bowl are $8.99 a pound.
I bought my wings 2 weeks before the superbowl for that reason. In general though wing prices have gotten stupid ever since BWWs got popular. As far as Brisket, well maybe it'll get chuck roast prices to drop back down again. I prefer making those anyway, it's the same flavor but a more reasonable size.

Back