Way Too Hot!!

CHill

TVWBB Member
So I bought my 18" WSM used off CL from a guy who used it a few times but preferred gas. I just did my 3rd cook on it today and like both other times, the temps run away. Today I did a fatty, only filled the ring about 1/4 full charcoal and about 1/3 full chimney starter of charcoal. I have tried all the suggested methods about closing vents bottom and most of the top vent. Temps were shooting up to 340*, took almost 40 mins with all vents closed to get temps down to 250-260-ish. This was all with a small 1lb fatty. I also used dry, foiled water pan.

the previous smoke was a 7lb butt. I filled whole ring full of KBB and a full chimney of KBB to start it. Used minion method. Again temps shot up and hard to control. 270-290*. This cook was even with water pan full. Even with a full ring of KBB, about 6 hours in, I had to add more charcoal as it burnt it all up.

Am I just using too much charcoal in my chimney? not enough meat? I am really struggling here. I also don't want to hear nonsense from my parents saying that I shoulda bought a Traeger like theirs.... I just want to produce some consistent low heat... right now its more of a grill

Try lighting only 8-12 coals. I wouldn't worry about having too much unlit charcoal. I'd also make sure the door wasn't bent and leaking too much

Last edited:
I was hoping perhaps I have been overdoing it with the lit charcoal... I know everyone says once it hits 200 to start closing vents... but by the time I put the whole thing together after pouring lit coals, its already flying past 200

I also haven't been counting the briquettes, just been pouring some in the Weber Chimney, which I am sure is 20+ lit coals. So perhaps I will count them out and start with way less

Are you saying you starting with all the bottom vents closed and the top vent nearly closed? And you're still getting temps in the 300's? I'm surprised you can get in the 200's if that's your start up. Something's odd

You are starting with way too much lit charcoal. That is one of the reasons I don't do the minion method, I just place two of the Weber fire starter cubes in the coal and light them. Sure it takes a good hour to come up to temp, but I've never gone over temp.

Since you bought it used off CL your WSM may be what is called "Out-of-Round" which means that the large middle portion of this cooker does not sit tight on the the bottom portion or possibly the lid portion does not also sit-well.

Richard is on the same thought track as me. It sounds to me as though there is air getting in other than by way of your vent settings.

by the time I put the whole thing together after pouring lit coals, its already flying past 200

Out of round, bent door.... I can't imagine either of those causing the rapid rise. They may contribute to it but to have the temps that high a before you even assemble the smoker has to be too many lit coals to start.

Since you bought it used off CL your WSM may be what is called "Out-of-Round" which means that the large middle portion of this cooker does not sit tight on the the bottom portion or possibly the lid portion does not also sit-well.

Richard is on the same thought track as me. It sounds to me as though there is air getting in other than by way of your vent settings.

by the time I put the whole thing together after pouring lit coals, its already flying past 200

Out of round, bent door.... I can't imagine either of those causing the rapid rise. They may contribute to it but to have the temps that high a before you even assemble the smoker has to be too many lit coals to start.

I checked the roundness. It is actually very round. All pieces fit very snug. The door used to seep a little bit of smoke, I took it off, curved it a bit, and now fits very snug. But like Phil said, I am getting hot before it is even sealed.... Like others have said... it may be too much lit coals on it to start

I agree, had the same problem when I started using mine. Read about the Minion Method.

I am using the Minion Method... hence throwing the lit coals onto the unlit coals. I just may be putting too much on there. Even tho I read about guys putting a whole lit chimney on it and not having any problems

I often use quite a bit more lit coals than others here with no problems but I know my cooker very well. Starting with a small amount of lit is more forgiving.

If you can completely shut the fire down by closing all vents, including the top, then you have no leaks worth worrying about. In that case you just need to shut the bottom vents sooner and more completely as the temp rises.

I often use quite a bit more lit coals than others here with no problems but I know my cooker very well. Starting with a small amount of lit is more forgiving.

If you can completely shut the fire down by closing all vents, including the top, then you have no leaks worth worrying about. In that case you just need to shut the bottom vents sooner and more completely as the temp rises.

^^^This^^^

Fire needs fuel and air. I could put half a chimney on a full load of charcoal and still get my temp in range. It doesn't burn without air. If it starts out that high, shut down all bottom vents and if that doesn't do it, close down the top vent. I've closed the top vent all the way to get a fire under control and it didn't take long. I wouldn't leave it closed for more than 10 minutes. Better to shut it down about three quarters and see if the fire comes under control.

So I bought my 18" WSM used off CL from a guy who used it a few times but preferred gas. I just did my 3rd cook on it today and like both other times, the temps run away. Today I did a fatty, only filled the ring about 1/4 full charcoal and about 1/3 full chimney starter of charcoal. I have tried all the suggested methods about closing vents bottom and most of the top vent. Temps were shooting up to 340*, took almost 40 mins with all vents closed to get temps down to 250-260-ish. This was all with a small 1lb fatty. I also used dry, foiled water pan.

the previous smoke was a 7lb butt. I filled whole ring full of KBB and a full chimney of KBB to start it. Used minion method. Again temps shot up and hard to control. 270-290*. This cook was even with water pan full. Even with a full ring of KBB, about 6 hours in, I had to add more charcoal as it burnt it all up.

Am I just using too much charcoal in my chimney? not enough meat? I am really struggling here. I also don't want to hear nonsense from my parents saying that I shoulda bought a Traeger like theirs.... I just want to produce some consistent low heat... right now its more of a grill

Have you cross referenced the temperature gauge on the WSM with an electronic temperature gauge to make sure it's reading correctly?

You should probably put water in the pan until you have a few smoke under your belt.

I am using the Minion Method... hence throwing the lit coals onto the unlit coals. I just may be putting too much on there. Even tho I read about guys putting a whole lit chimney on it and not having any problems

When folks are putting on a whole chimney, they're likely using significantly less unlit coals, and are turning their vents down a ton, and if they say otherwise I'd be very suspicious/doubtful.

Not to mention the water pan. As everyone else has said, you're using too much coals to start, and as Bruno mentioned, you need to be using a filled water pan for your first, I dunno, 5-6 cooks at least. Hell I used one for several years before I stopped filling it, and I still do fill it on occasion.

Would the size of the meat have anything to do with it? Perhaps not big enough to absorb heat? Like right now, I have a 4lb butt in. I started with 9 lit briquettes, dumped them in a whole ring of charcoal, and temps slowly came up...but they keep climbing. All the vents are closed except the one with the DigiQ in it and top vent fully open... and its only been 3 hours and i'm 147* meat probe and 260* pit probe... even tho I have the DigiQ set for 225*. The DigiQ never even gets to work because it's always above 225*

Would the size of the meat have anything to do with it? Perhaps not big enough to absorb heat? Like right now, I have a 4lb butt in. I started with 9 lit briquettes, dumped them in a whole ring of charcoal, and temps slowly came up...but they keep climbing. All the vents are closed except the one with the DigiQ in it and top vent fully open... and its only been 3 hours and i'm 147* meat probe and 260* pit probe... even tho I have the DigiQ set for 225*. The DigiQ never even gets to work because it's always above 225*

Put some water in your pan to stabilize the temp. Hot water. And to me, 9 lit coals is too few, unless you really want to be cooking ALL DAY! I hope you get it figured out.

Back