Wasting Charcoal

I always use way to much charcoal for the job at hand. I either don't use enough and dont get the high heat/longevity of a cook I want or I use a full chimney and end up with it being wasted:mad:

Anyone have a simple method how they decide how much of a chimney to use?

After you finish smoking or grilling, close all the holes to smother the fire. Then you can pour the unused/partially used briquets into the chimney the next time you use it. We do this all the time, and at least you're getting some use out of them.

After you finish smoking or grilling, close all the holes to smother the fire. Then you can pour the unused/partially used briquets into the chimney the next time you use it. We do this all the time, and at least you're getting some use out of them.

Ditto what Michelle said....close all your vents and you can use the unused charcoal next time.

Yep X3..
I would ask you a few questions for clarity so others can chime in. What are you cooking and for how many folks? Indirect or a direct cook and what size grill?

Tim

Tim I have a 22" one touch and cook for 4. Usually direct fro burgers, steak, chicken. The usual stuff. I like the idea of closing and reusing. Figured to much moisture but will certainly give it a go tonight when I do wings...

Try half a chimney lit and pour onto a chimney of unlit. It'll get HOT that way and like others have said: when you're done close down the vents and any partially used or unused can be salvaged for next cook. HTH!

Tim I have a 22" one touch and cook for 4. Usually direct fro burgers, steak, chicken. The usual stuff. I like the idea of closing and reusing. Figured to much moisture but will certainly give it a go tonight when I do wings...

Gotcha.
One tip I like is the double grate mod, lay another charcoal grate across the original but place it @ 90deg. This helps keep the smaller pcs of used coals from falling thru. On my OTG I use a pair of tongs to rake the ash off the coals, place the used ones in a pile and dump the lit over the top.

Tim

I always use way to much charcoal for the job at hand. I either don't use enough and dont get the high heat/longevity of a cook I want or I use a full chimney and end up with it being wasted:mad:

Been there , done that , D.... I was the same way when I got my WSM ....flubbed around endlessly trying to get that "just enough" batch of briqs....but I'm over it. I fill my charcoal ring and when I'm done cooking , I choke the fire. Next day or so I take my big slotted spoon and dig out all the good charcoal and pop it in a bag to use next time. Works well , and I feel like I get a good bang for my charcoal buck. I do the same on my smoky joe. Good luck , man.

Derrick, you will figure it out with experience. Dont be afraid to experiment.
I use the same method as Dwain does. It works well for me.

Always reuse charcoal, but I'd recommend doing it for cooks of 275 or less as the coals may have lost energy to do high heat cooks.

As so many others have said, shut down the vents and let the coals snuff out. Running out of coals 80% through a cook is a royal downer. I no longer take that risk and fire up more than I need. Next cook, I just shake the ash off, fire up a chimney of new coals and dump them on top of the old. I tried reusing the spent charcoal in the chimney, but found it's more of a PITA than it's worth.

If you're going to put used charcoal in a chimney, put it on top of fresh. If you put it on the bottom, it will burn up completely.

I intentionally use extra charcoal because I never know what surprises may be thrown my way. I do like everyone else and shut down the vents when I am finished. As for moisture don't worry about it. The lid is on, vents shut, your good. If you lid blows off in a rain storm then you will have a mess. But let the coals dry for a day or two in direct open air and you will be fine to use them again. Remember grilling is an art, not a science.

Think about it this way...Do you buy just enough fuel for your vehicle to get to the grocery store and back home?

I started w exactly what the weber book says. Then I experimented w a few more, a few less, etc and concluded they are exactly right. As I started phasing in good brands of lump charcoal I've found it burns longer, hotter than briquets but I st ll use both products depending on the cook. I always err on the side of too much... Nothing's worse than having to interrupt a cook to get more coal going.

Don't lift the lid...

You can never have to much charcoal in your grill. Just shut the vents and re-use the next time you cook.

I made a large charcoal basket out of expanded metal. I sift all the ash and always reuse the remaining coals.

P1050828.jpg

I made a large charcoal basket out of expanded metal. I sift all the ash and always reuse the remaining coals.

P1050828.jpg

I really like this idea a lot better... I use the charcoal rails to keep the coals to one side. This makes like a lot easier by just having to lift the basket and shake the ash off...

CM

George. Ditto. Exactly actually it's raining or I'd take some pics. I made a 3" high for each of my pits (long cooks like brisket, boston butts) and a 1.5" for each also, same semicircle dimensions as yours. ( strange, we're you watching me they look exact). That expanded metal is perfect like he says because it allows shaking the ashes through and preserving the coals. Just FYI if you go to a fabrication shop- expanded metal comes in at least 8 patterns - so choose a tight one like George's. I mig'd all my own.

Don't lift the lid...

Back