USDA Prime Ribeye Cap Steaks with Super Sear

So Chris, have you made “Maitre d’Hotel” butter with the Kerrygold?
Compound butters with the higher butterfat content make my mouth water! I make several different permutations, I’m too cheap, maybe it’s time to step up!

Just shared this thread with my wife’s son, he’s in! A beautiful piece of beef, some fabulous compound butter, a bottle of Egri Bikaver (tipping my cap to Kristof) I love food!

I picked up a 8 oz. package of Kerrygold unsalted at Walmart to give it a try, they also have the salted both are $2.88.
Pretty good flavor.

I picked up a 8 oz. package of Kerrygold unsalted at Walmart to give it a try, they also have the salted both are $2.88.
Pretty good flavor.
We're just back from Costco, I got the 1.5 lb. Kerrygold for $8.00, or $2.66 per 8 oz.
I would have went with the WM 8 oz to try it for that price.
Also bought Jo's favorite steaks, filet mignon, to make up for the ones I screwed up.
Prime briskets were $3.29 up from $2.99, pork bellies still $2.99.
I've had the Prime cap steaks before, but passed this time, they were $18.99 lb.

I just looked at Costco too! Same pricing on those items, since I’d just picked up some serious deals on chicken and pork chops, I passed.
Should have gotten the butter though! Drat!

Something I forgot to share about this steak experience...

Mrs. TVWB and I are sitting at the dining table marveling at how good these steaks are. It's 6:41PM...a short jolt hits the house...a 3.0 earthquake centered about 10 miles south of our location. I say, "Whoa, earthquake!". Silence...one thousand one, one thousand two, no more shaking...and without missing a beat, I'm right back into "Man, this meat is unbelievably delicious." :D

Mrs. TVWB and I are sitting at the dining table marveling at how good these steaks are. It's 6:41PM...a short jolt hits the house...a 3.0 earthquake centered about 10 miles south of our location. I say, "Whoa, earthquake!". Silence...one thousand one, one thousand two, no more shaking...and without missing a beat, I'm right back into "Man, this meat is unbelievably delicious." :D

Haha...great job on those steaks. I always see those, but have passed on them many a time. Next time I may splurge and pick some up.

Lived in Orange County for 40 years, been threw a lot of shakers one which was so violent it shook three feet of water out of our pool. Never any serious damage but still nerve racking.

When the food is that good, its hard to take your focus off of it. ;)

We get infrequent shakes here, and we don't like them at all, kind of unnerving.
Hope to never have one like the New Madrid ones in 1811-1812.

"In a report filed in November 2008, the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency warned that a serious earthquake in the New Madrid Seismic Zone could result in "the highest economic losses due to a natural disaster in the United States," further predicting "widespread and catastrophic" damage across Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, and particularly Tennessee, where a 7.7 magnitude quake or greater would cause damage to tens of thousands of structures affecting water distribution, transportation systems, and other vital infrastructure.[SUP][11]"[/SUP]

Last edited:
Kick A Crust! Wow.

I don't miss living in CA.

Last edited:

Back