Turkey Pot Pie in Cast Iron Skillet

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I saved three cups of chopped turkey from Thanksgiving. Used it to make this Pot Pie. This is a fantastic dish with wonderful flavors. It's a Weber recipe so you know you can't go wrong. Here are some pic's.

Some of the ingredients, including the turkey, carrots, celery, onion and mushrooms. You can fill this thing with whatever sounds good to you!

Sautéing the onions until they are translucent, along with the carrots.

Same thing with the mushrooms and celery.

Mixed all four together.

Put everything in the CI pan and mixed with other ingredients, turkey, chicken broth, flour, Madras Curry Powder, dried oregano, dried thyme, S&P and some lemon juice.

Topped with a puff pastry sheet, rolled pretty thin. Next time I do this, I'll give the crust an extra 1/2 inch or so. You'll see that there was some shrinkage at the end of the cook. The slimy look on the crust is one beaten egg, basted on the uncooked crust.

Transferred the Pot Pie to my 22 inch kettle.

Cooked for about 50 minutes. Probably could have pulled it at 45.

Let it cool for 10 minutes. Even after the cool down, the pot pie was almost too hot to handle.

Plated.

I didn't make any sides with this dish. It was stand alone and it was delicious! That Madras Curry Powder puts it over the top. My wife and I ate over half of this pie, each having seconds, and this was one hearty meal. I highly recommend it. If you don't like curry, you could substitute for it with spice of your choice, or I guess you could just eliminate it. Thank you all for looking. Hope you're having a great holiday season.

Last edited:
You're talking my language with the pot pie, and that one looks phenomenal.

Great looking pot pie! For a twist try this next time. Instead of puff pastry use leftover stuffing and mashed potatoes for your topping. Another good topping is to make drop biscuits, add thyme, sage and rosemary to the batter. Then drop the scoops on top. OH so Good!

Great looking pot pie! For a twist try this next time. Instead of puff pastry use leftover stuffing and mashed potatoes for your topping. Another good topping is to make drop biscuits, add thyme, sage and rosemary to the batter. Then drop the scoops on top. OH so Good!

Thanks Case. The potato/stuffing thing sounds great. Going to have to wait until next turkey though. Got two in my stash in freezer I bought a couple of weeks ago while they were cheap. I've done the biscuit topping only using packaged biscuits. I'll try the drop biscuits too.

Awesome looking pot pie!!! I have been wanting to make one myself but I didn't cook a turkey for thanksgiving and haven't had any leftover chicken. I cooking a turkey tomorrow so hopefully I'll have some leftovers to make one!

Great looking T-pot pie! Barb and I make them and cook them in Ramekins and freeze them. Makes for a quick meal in the microwave if we're to busy to cook. But I like the CI idea will have to try that too.

Oh my! Cliff, you hit me right on my soft spot! That is to die for right there. Love that cook and would like to know more. If you have the time please post the full recipe.

Back