Turkey Day Practice

Jose Suro

TVWBB All-Star
Hi All,

I did some turkey practice today on the WSM using chicken. I wanted to try the rubs that I use for the chicken wings, with the cornstarch trick that makes the wings so crispy. Well it worked - too good! The chicken skin was so crispy that I had to brush some melted butter on it to get it back down to just crisp :). The chicken was absolutely delicious so now I'm confident that the turkey will turn out just as good.

So, on to the pixs.

The chicken going on the WSM. I had clear skies with full Sun from behind the image so I used the $10.00 white translucent reflector. Info on that is in the Just conversation forum in the photo tips sticky. This image is just to show how I held it over the chicken:
i-X33Z8hH-XL.jpg

And this is how the picture came out:
i-NScpFBq-XL.jpg

Off to the races, you can see the bright Sun reflection on the WSM, Shows why the chicken shot without the reflector would have been way to bright from behind:
i-g7kXBtR-XL.jpg

In the dark now and the chicken is done. I used two flash units and the reflector:
i-7jwgFzV-XL.jpg

This pan was under the chicken the whole time and made some really good gravy!:
i-tTDZTFL-XL.jpg

And my plate, again with the flash units:
i-B4vJQXt-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Jose

Ps. And a film sunrise image made with my 4x5 camera on the Blue Ridge Parkway a couple of weeks ago :).

15577877306_8f5577ddc7_b.jpg

Last edited:
damn that looks delicious - also interesting to see how you did it.

I've been reading that book you recommended - exactly what I was looking for. Over my head of course but :) (why would I read it otherwise)

AWSOME Jose! Pics too as usual. Hopefully I can get a turkey this week to try grilling up. Don't have a wsm so it'll be on one of the kettles.

Jose, great bird and pics. When you do the turkey that will be something else thats for sure great job.

Great chicken and photos too! I missed it what's the corn starch trick?

Thanks Rich! I saw a trick to crisp up smoked wings in a Cooks Country - American test Kitchen tv show. And it works. I use 1/2 part cornstarch to 3 parts rub for the wings so I wanted to try it for a whole bird. I learned that I have to reduce the ratio to a little less cornstarch for the whole bird because it cooks longer. Either that or baste it. Here's a thread where I originally tried it:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?51535-Chikin-Wingin-Sunday

Best,

Jose

Thanks Rich! I saw a trick to crisp up smoked wings in a Cooks Country - American test Kitchen tv show. And it works. I use 1/2 part cornstarch to 3 parts rub for the wings so I wanted to try it for a whole bird. I learned that I have to reduce the ratio to a little less cornstarch for the whole bird because it cooks longer. Either that or baste it. Here's a thread where I originally tried it:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?51535-Chikin-Wingin-Sunday

Best,

Jose

Thanks Jose, I feel like an idiot as soon as I went to that post I remember I wrote it down. I'm an old man with CRS (Can't remember S***)

Thanks for sharing! I have no photographic skills, but these pics and the descriptions are cool. Thanks.

Dang good looking food too.

Looks fantastic. Pictures turned out well. I have to say that grate looks brand new! Once gunked up I cannot get it that clean!

Back