True Value Lump Charcoal Sale

Mary Teal

TVWBB Super Fan
Just got my Wilco (True Value) flyer in the mail yesterday, and they have Cowboy 100% Natural Lump Charcoal on sale for $11.99 for a 20# bag. I have never used Cowboy myself,but I might swing by and get me a bag since no one seems to have Wicked Good Lump on sale yet, which I pay $12 a bag for on sale
They also are advertising a Weber Original 22" Charcoal Grill for $99. And $399. for the Weber Spirit E-210.

WOW! Thank you Len, for the heads up! However I did notice that review was done in 2007 and the newest review as of 2013 found here. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag108.htm says they changed the recipe in the last few years, but with that being said, I'll wait till Wicked Good comes in sale, I still have 3/4 of a bag yet from last year. Thank you again for the heads up!

My problem with Cowboy is that it seems to be made from mesquite and tropical hardwoods (hence the lizard). It's got a funky smell to it and it spits and sparks to high heaven...at least the one bag I tried did.

Bob...do you get Ozark Oak up your way? It's kilned in Yellville and seems to be to be about the best we can get regionally...plus its about 6 bucks for 10 pounds about everywhere almost all the time.

Jeff,
I do buy OO at a local produce place.
The guy makes a run down and brings back a load every so often.
Unmarked 20# bags were $17 last time I bought.
Really good stuff.

Here's the best lump you can buy:

IMGP2706.JPG

Bob, can't help but think you got the best prize, even tho I would have been fuming, and taken that bag down the road to Kingsford, and threw it on someone's desk, and I would of walked away with a couple pallets worth in my truck..but had I got that nasty lizard, I would have probably had a cardiac while changing my pants!
I've never encountered any prizes in my bags. Yet. And now you guys have me paranoid to open a new bag wondering what I'm going to find! I did however a couple weeks ago get bit by a spider in a open bag of charcoal from last year I had stored in a garbage can that made me sick for a couple days. Never saw the spider, just felt the bite, and the swelling started.

Last edited:
Mary I agree with you. Nothing beats Wicked Good.

Rolf, I agree, Wicked Good is the best in my book too, but it's so expensive! $25 dollars a bag regular price here. I wait till it's on sale for $12 and pick up a couple 3-4 bags to last me for a while.

Last edited:
Cowboy lump, interesting name, and interesting things inside. I have found fiberglass building insulation, rocks, partially burned plywood.... no more Cowboy lump for me thanks.
No lizards though, ever.

Back