Tri Tip, Spuds and Sprouts

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I did this cook last Sunday and just now getting around to posting it. Used a recipe that is pretty close to the one JeffG used in his post last week. Using the wine in the marinade sounded really good to me I left the meat in the marinade 24 hours and if I do it again, I think 12 hours is plenty. Was very pleased at how it came out. Got two meals out of this cook, the Tri Tip dinner shown below and the following night we had beef dip sandwiches and Tots. For the sides I did some roasted potatoes and shallots. Got this idea from a post by Gary London a few weeks ago. Finally added some Brussels Sprouts and bacon. Here goes.

Used one of these beauties from Costco.

For the marinade I used some Bogle Cabernet Sauvignon. Also EVOO, black pepper and lots of chopped garlic.

In a gallon bag with marinade for 24 hours.

Earlier in the day, I grilled up six sliced shallots for the potato dish.

Prepped a pound of Brussels Sprouts.

Cubed some Yukon Golds. Should have snapped this shot before putting them in water.

Some bacon for the Sprouts.

Sides ready for the grill.

Reverse sear. Love the color the meat picked up from the marinade.

Last edited:

Sides getting there.

After the sear, I finished the cook on the indirect side until around 125 IT and brought in house for a rest.

Sliced.

Plate.

The Tri Tip was delicious and the sides were tasty. Happy Hump Day everyone. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
That plate of goodness is worth building a time machine to take me back to Sunday morning, so i can drive to Redding!!! Love those prime TT's from CostCo. Will try this one out the next time I make a TT for the hordes here!

R

Wish mine had come out as nice as yours (my jaw still hurts). I agree the taste profile on mine said a little too long in the marinade for me. I think 12 hours would be about right.

Tri-Tip and fixings looks delicious Cliff, glad you liked the marinade, and I agree the marinating time could be cut down to 12 hour or less.
Love the color the meat picked up from the marinade......X2

I wish Rich had a better outing with his faux Tri-Tip.

Cliff you are an amazing cook. And I love how you give props to the other members who inspired you. Your cooks are what I would pay for in a good restaurant. Wonderful meal as always!!

Last edited:
That is one fantastic Sunday dinner. We'll have to plan a trip to Cali when you are doing one of these awesome cooks.

Back