Tri-tip on the roti

Angie H.

TVWBB Pro
Smoked a tri-tip yesterday in my roti basket. No pics of final plate but I thought I'd share pics of the cook anyway.

2 1/2 lbs with salt and seasoned pepper, kept the seasoning simple. Chunk of oak wood on the coals.

97jsd4.jpg

After 15 mins it was looking good.

339kg2u.jpg

After a total of 25 mins on the roti internal temp read 140. I forgot how little cooking time tri-tip needs.

v8fml3.jpg

I had a bit of a learning curve with carving it as the grain goes in a few different directions so I ended up slicing it into three separate hunks trying to slice with the grain. This is part of one of the hunks. I thought it might be overdone at 140 with carryover cooking but it turned out tender and juicy and when sliced thin, mmmm mmmm.

t6xxn8.jpg

I also roasted some peppers to serve with it.

2cfuxdl.jpg

Peppers after being cooled and peeled. Sliced up and tossed with sherry wine vinegar and olive oil.

5b1slf.jpg

Served the tri-tip slices on top of sliced baguette with the peppers on top. The sherry wine vinegar in the peppers went really well with the hint of oak smoke in the tri-tip. Tri-tip can be $$$ in this neck of the woods but I got it on sale for a good price. It sure is a tasty cut of meat.

Thanks for looking!

looks PERFECT Angie!!
I'll be grillin' a tri tip tonite, just about the same size...
thought of doing it on the Santa Maria Grill, but the winds here are a bit brisk...
perhaps waiting another hour or so they'll die down.
I love the idea of using the rotisserie!

Maybe I'll copy you...
Thanks babe! ;)

That looks absolutely delicious.

Great call on the short cook time on the TriTip. I woulda overcooked it if that's only 25 minutes.

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! I loved using the basket and I have a feeling my new rotisserie might get more action than the wsm this summer.

Back