Tri-Tip at 700+

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My first cook on the Akorn without the diffuser. It wasn't a quality piece of meat going in, so not a lot of expectation for this cook. Ultimately, it wasn't bad not my best Tri-Tip, but not bad, Royal Oak Lump for fuel

926312D0-4FBA-43F5-AE53-C104C1AAFBFA_zpsezb8j67a.jpg

D415A5E2-BBC7-4E01-9004-7F324264B43D_zpszso3mvsy.jpg

5E544FA9-36A7-42DE-85A6-B36C4BB9ACCA_zpskntbcfci.jpg

D84B46CE-C6BE-41AC-B929-CB7DEFFAE3D7_zpsb1ihi3ze.jpg

I personally liked the crust, reminded me of when my dad cooked these back before man walked the moon. It was a little tough, I'm guessing because I had to flip it numerous times. After all, it was 700+ degrees *yikes*

When I grill tri-tip I do an initial sear followed by lower temp to finish, or lower temp followed by searing at the end to finish, or I grill it at a medium temp for the entire time. I think I'd burn it if I tried 700°F the entire time.

But I think I'd like to try a slice of yours right now... :D

Good lookin' eats you got there Chuck. Gotta experiment to get great (although 700o is taking it to a level I don't think I'd try) :D

Lets give it up for High Heat cooking! Ruth Chris is going to be seriously challenged in the near future. Looks pretty good to me. Great crust. Not so sure regarding the slicing.

But I think I'd like to try a slice of yours right now... :D
Hey look at that, I caught the Boss' eye! Thanks Chris

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Doing a Sear then cook / Cook then sear isn't so easy on this little guy. you're kind of forced to pick you poison, be it direct or indirect. Had I gone the indirect route, I'm sure I could have hit 600 degree, give or take

Tri Tip by inferno, gotta love it. Not a whole lot of acreage on that little guy but you did good.

Great crust. Not so sure regarding the slicing.
:) I'm always on the other side of conventional thinking. I don't go against the grain because in makes the crust fall off. The crust is my favorite

Curious: How much time did you spend searing the TT?
Total cook time was 15 minutes, and as you can see by the sliced photos, might have been on a minute or so too long. The problem with cooking at 700+ is that you can't probe it very well, you only can have your hand in there for a couple seconds or so.

First flip was timed at 5 minutes
Second flip was timed at 5 minutes (I actually anticipated pull it here)
Several additional flips occurred during the last 5 minutes, I pulled it when "felt done." (it's rigidity)

I threw a tri tip in my pizza oven once and it turned to crisp in no time. It came out bloody rare.... :lol:

Turns out 700 degrees was pushing it a bit with this lil' guy. The grate cracked. It better toughen up, it ain't see nothing yet :)

Back