Toss or Cook?

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you are all well and having a great day. I thought I'd get your input on tonight's (maybe) dinner. I have an 8 lb. rib roast that's been in the freezer since January of this year. With the current state of affairs I never pulled it out as it's too large for the two of us. I decided to give it a try at Christmas so it's been defrosting for a week in the fridge. It's been double wrapped in freezer paper by the butcher. I took a look earlier today and it looks OK and smells OK but I'm still a little apprehensive as it's been nearly a year since the purchase. Any thoughts out there?? Would you toss (it's Select from Safeway) or go for it?

Assuming that you froze it relatively quickly after you got it, I'd cook it and eat it. I don't think that extra time in the freezer is going to make it at all unsafe to eat.....it's possible that it won't be in best possible condition since it was paper wrapped rather than vacuum sealed. I would not have any hesitation from a food safety perspective. (Caveat emptor and all that....) :)

Let us know what you end up doing so we can check in on you! ;)

R

I bought cows, pigs that were just wrapped in freezer/butcher paper.
No problems or freezer burn after several years...

Thank you for all the advice guys. It's greatly appreciated. Going to do a simple indirect cook on one of my kettles. Times running short and it's a rainy night.

Had a prime from Costco that I bought at Thanksgiving time in 2019 froze it and cooked it about six weeks ago and it came out fine. With just two of us I froze the whole point and half the flat after cooking it. Last night I made Chili with the flat and it was great.
Hope yours came out well too.

Back