Tony's Carne Asada

Dean V

TVWBB Pro
After seeing all the posts hailing Tony's Carne Asada I had to try it and here goes. Oh yeah, I am hereby hailing Tony's Mexican rice because it was excellent.

Most of the ingredients.

Grilling the vegetables/peppers.

And one of my plates.

This was exceptional but the skirt steak was a little tough. Any ideas how to remedy this?

I have a 16# whole packer brisket on the wsm for 12 hours now and is at 180 degrees and not ready to pull yet and I'm doing the entire cook without wrapping. I will post pics of the cook later today or early tomorrow.

Have a good Football Sunday and thank for looking.

Well done Dean...:)
I'm assuming you cut against the grain right? Maybe cut the meat into smaller pieces?

One of my favorite meals and you did it well bud. Listen sometimes those cuts are tough, I use a meat tenderizer on them, you know the old medieval type metal flat on one side and raised diamonds shapes on the other. Makes a big difference. Also as Tony said make sure you cut it across the grain of the meat

Well done Dean...:)
I'm assuming you cut against the grain right? Maybe cut the meat into smaller pieces?
Yes, cut across the grain and thin. I think you are right about the smaller pieces if the meat in that particular cook is a little tough. Should have thought about this myself. Thanks.

One of my favorite meals and you did it well bud. Listen sometimes those cuts are tough, I use a meat tenderizer on them, you know the old medieval type metal flat on one side and raised diamonds shapes on the other. Makes a big difference. Also as Tony said make sure you cut it across the grain of the meat

Bill, you're right that this is an all time favorite meal. I like the idea of the mallet but does that not also tend to thin the meat out too much?

I did the same cook - outstanding - right?!?!? I cut the steaks into about 3 to 4 inch pieces, the turn it 90* to cut across the grain. It was very tender sliced this way.

I did the same cook - outstanding - right?!?!? I cut the steaks into about 3 to 4 inch pieces, the turn it 90* to cut across the grain. It was very tender sliced this way.

Exactly the way I did it Dwain. Maybe it was just this particular piece of meat.

I love Mexican food and yours looks very good, I also cut the meat about 2" wide with the grain and then cut on a diagonal across the grain about 1/8" thick, then marinate, the meat will almost dissolve in your mouth it's that tender.

Enjoy,

Karl

Back