To water pan, clay pot base, sand? What's your pleasure

I have used foil covered sand for 15 years. now since its only two of us I just sit the pan on the second rack, really makes adding any fuel easer.

I use what I call it the half pan. I start with foiled pan and fill it half full of hot water. Typically by the time its time to wrap (or not) the water have evaporated. I let the pan get cold and the throw out a solidified disk of fat out with the foil.

Before I bought my 18.5" WSM in 2008 I did some research and found this site.
I spent the better part of a few weeks researching and reading all the personal posts on water vs no water and alternative heat sinks.
I bought the WSM because after all that I felt confident that I didn't need water, but I could still use it if and when needed.
I came from a strictly water smoker, a ECB/Meco and didn't want to deal with that all the time.

I have the pizza pan that fits right over the water pan. I cover the pizza pan in foil to make cleanup easier. I don't recall ever using water in the pan.

I use something like Mark's "half pan" method for when I want to collect drippings to use in gravy, sauce, adding back to the pulled pork, etc.

A modest amount of water keeps the drippings from burning up, and then mostly evaporates away.

And the lessening thermal drag of the disappearing water kind of synchs with how the heat from the coals tends to go down as the cook progresses.

I stopped using water a while ago, but I do spritz it on large proteins during long cooks and notice almost zero difference between this and when I used to use water in the pan.

Fire bricks work reasonably well as a heat sink. I use two or three atop an Emile Henry pizza stone for a decent, dry heat sink.

Great input. So what I'm seeing here is majority don't use water, with a combination of empty bowls, plates, and or pot bases. Those that are using water talk about using it either because that's how the smoker was built or as a good heat sync / stabilizer.
No where have I seen anyone talking about using the water to help maintain moisture in the meat.

I used water in the pan the first few cooks when I got mu WSM but now use this method.

I tried a plant saucer years back and then sand as heat sink. Unlike what most say, I found using water to be easier and simpler to clean up. I do like how it helps hold temps to the lower smoking ranges -- at least until the water boils off. I've cooked twice with the Hunsacker Vortex plate and like how it evenly distribute heat in the cooker and easily gets over 300* when desired, but still prefer the water filled pan on my 14.5.

This has all been with 5-6 hour cooks on the 14.5. I have a brisket that I'll be doing soon, so will see how it goes refilling the pan. On the 18, I used a long-necked watering can to refill. I don't know yet how that may work on the 14.5.

I use disposable aluminum dutch oven liners. They are usually dry unless I'm doing Pastrami and then they get the water bath. After a lot of trial and error, the water bath just works for Pastrami. I also smoke Pastrami on the bottom cooking grate.

Back