heat shield

Ryan Burke

TVWBB Fan
Anyone do this? It's sitting on top of the water bowl. I don't use water in it and was thinking of foiling the shield for easier cleanup. Never use the heat shield as my WSM sits on concrete. Going to throw some baby backs on in a few hours.
IMG_20210418_115837.jpg

I’ve done that and it does make for an easy clean up. Lately I’ve been even lazier and if I’m not using water in the water pan I’ll place a disposable aluminum tray on the second rack and just throw it away when done. If I’m cooking on both racks I’ll toss a Dutch oven liner in the water bowl and throw that out afterwards.

Haven't used the heat shield but have used this (with outstanding results).

+1 on the Firedial.

Works great; fits perfectly; inexpensive; durable. Being completely flat, it opens up space inside the cooker (especially with an 18's overly deep water bowl) and takes 15 seconds to clean. No foil needed -- just scrape it off like you would a flavorizer bar.

Anyone do this? It's sitting on top of the water bowl. I don't use water in it and was thinking of foiling the shield for easier cleanup. Never use the heat shield as my WSM sits on concrete. Going to throw some baby backs on in a few hours.
View attachment 26243
I think I saw Harry Soo do that. Good idea esp for the 22.5" WSM

this is how I do it, covered with foil.... fits perfectly over the water bowl...never liked it as a heat shield under the charcoal chamber

I bought this and foil it. It is a little pricy for what it is, but it is extremely convenient and you can still put water in the water bowl while using this as well if you wanted to.

I bought this and foil it. It is a little pricy for what it is, but it is extremely convenient and you can still put water in the water bowl while using this as well if you wanted to.
Yes, I have it too and agree it is one hellava expensive 18" pizza pan but it is a perfect fit. With or without the water bowl. I think I will do the fire dial for my new 14 wsm.

Neat idea on re-purposing the heat shield! So many smart guys on this forum I'm surprised Chris let me in :geek:

I'm also a fire dial fan. Works great when if you wanna try hanging ribs and/or chicken and play around with "semi-direct" heat. I use the water pan and foil the whole thing when I want indirect heat/smoke.

I think I saw Harry Soo do that. Good idea esp for the 22.5" WSM
Ok folks, this won't work on a 22.5" WSM like the OP shows.
The water pan is 18 3/4" wide and the heat shield is 15" wide.
I was confused because his sig shows a 22.5" WSM:confused:

Back