time to thaw the bird

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
I got my bird out of the freezer this morning, and so the countdown begins!
Current plan is to thaw, spatchcock, brine, dry, and then cook indirect on the E6.

Saturday, November 20, 2021 out of freezer, into fridge
Sunday, November 21, 2021 24 hrs thaw
Monday, November 22, 2021 48 hrs thaw
Tuesday, November 23, 2021 72 hrs thaw - into brine
Wednesday, November 24, 2021 24 hrs brine - into fridge
Thursday, November 25, 2021 out of fridge, onto smoker
Friday, November 26, 2021 Leftovers!!

How big of a bird? I took my 14 lb. out yesterday, gonna do a wet brine for 36-48 hours, followed by fridge for 12-24 hrs. followed by whole bird rotisserie, no wood chunks this year.

How big of a bird? I took my 14 lb. out yesterday, gonna do a wet brine for 36-48 hours, followed by fridge for 12-24 hrs. followed by whole bird rotisserie, no wood chunks this year.
My bird is 14.5 lbs or so... still hard as a dang rock this morning. I'm going to re-check my fridge temp. With the IR/laser thermometer I measured around 39F yesterday... which is in the sweet spot.

Got a 10.5 pounder since it's just the wife and I. Will be digging it out of the freezer this afternoon. Thought about rotisserie on the gasser, but decided on the pellet grill.

Got a 10.5 pounder since it's just the wife and I. Will be digging it out of the freezer this afternoon. Thought about rotisserie on the gasser, but decided on the pellet grill.
I'm so tempted to cook our bird on the SF, but rotisserie has been so good to us, kinda hard to not

I'm so tempted to cook our bird on the SF, but rotisserie has been so good to us, kinda hard to not
Have had great results with both. Main reason for the pellet grill is cold weather and possibility of strong wind. Wind not forecasted so far, but that doesn't mean squat here.

Back