Throwdown #19: Beef Short Ribs

Man some good look-in ribbage so far, you all are good :cool:
I especially like Enrico's. Let the ribs be the star of the show, nuthin but a platter of good eats!

Tim

I'll throw these in for consideration - although I wasn't 100% happy with how they turned out :) (will just have to try them again)

started off with 3 huge ribs from our local butcher - had to get a hacksaw out to halve them

then we used a rub (and Plum n Rum sauce) out of Jamie Purviance's Weber Smoking book

here they after 4 hours (should have foiled before we got here!!!)

oh and as an aside i had a Chicken going on the performer rotisserie by now

and here they are ready for eating - a little tough (should have foiled) but perfectly edible and the sauce was amazing...recommend you try it if you have the book

thanks folks - more practise needed
Chris

Short ribs on the mini-wsm

This were the only short ribs I can find in my area.

Here's my entry....

DD4D899F-74E0-4CD7-ABEB-EADAC72FC734.jpg

Seasoned with wosterchire sauce and webers Chicago steak.

CABF378B-38E8-43CF-82D5-ADB3DAFB37B9.jpg

Used the mini-wsm with pecan wood for flavor.

415CD5E6-6FBF-45D8-A03A-B71721CC4140.jpg

0B1A84D2-EF29-4DCD-88A9-CB04A2397430.jpg

Here a cool pic of my of the mini wsm in action. My grilling area is small :(

19D82339-EDCC-45EA-A2F5-C75EE0EEF798.jpg

30 minutes in to the cook I decided to remove the heat diffuser and add more black pepper.

This is the pic when they were done.

E0526D1E-D3C2-422F-AD8F-288E4BB1DAD4.jpg

The bark was great.

31D1B6D6-7124-401C-9629-A136645F160B.jpg

7CB397AF-2A02-4694-BEB0-E707FA36ABCC.jpg

Thanks for your time.

Tony and Maribel

Impressive results everyone, really:eek:

I'm here as a bit of a policeman, it seems, but...
Enrico:
Charm of this contest is to use the ten selected photos for the presentation of your work from A to Z.
Reference to 71 pics on another site does not seem to be completely fair play to me. I don't know, maybe it's only my personal feel, then i apologize:rolleyes:
In any case, your cook is spectacular, no doubt about it. I am glad that it is here, in this amazing place, another enthusiastic european Weber man;)

Last edited:
Enrico! These... Look... Amazing!

Great camera work too! Really captured the texture of the bark as well as what appears to be some juicy ribs. Definitely making me mouth water!

PS what exactly is "Butcher's Rub"?

Impressive results everyone, really:eek:

I'm here as a bit of a policeman, it seems, but...
Enrico:
Charm of this contest is to use the ten selected photos for the presentation of your work from A to Z.
Reference to 71 pics on another site does not seem to be completely fair play to me. I don't know, maybe it's only my personal feel, then i apologize:rolleyes:
In any case, your cook is spectacular, no doubt about it. I am glad that it is here, in this amazing place, another enthusiastic european Weber man;)

I doubt anyone cares what I think but I concur, if the limit is 10 then no collages or links to picture rich alternate sites.

thats not to say the pictures are not fantastic, they are but it does seem a little unfair.

Texas Style BBQ Beef Short Ribs

When trying to decide the method to cook my entry for throw down #19, SWMBO and I decided to go old school. These are the big, rich, juicy succulent Texas Style BBQ Beef Short Ribs smoke roasted at 225*F with classic American Oak and an old-fashioned sauce.

I began by removing the fat and the very tough silver skin from the top of the meat. I salted the meat with Himalayan salt 24 hours in advance.

The morning of the cook, I applied Penzy's BBQ 3000 and some Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning, coating them generously. I let the rub sit on the meat in the refrigerator for three hours.

I setup the 22.5" cooker for 225°F, waited for a clean burning fire, put the meat on bone side down, and added the Oak.

I usually serve my beef ribs au naturel but this time I made a very tasty side sauce that I dipped each rib in like they do back home in Texas.

These were served with a home brew, baked beans (cooked below the ribs), cole slaw, deviled eggs, and a roll of paper towels.

Last edited:

Back