Throw back Wing Recipe

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
This is a cook that I did several years ago. I decided to re-post because the initial steps are pertinent to getting good skin on chicken and theres been a lot of wing cooks lately. The Highlighted part in red is key in my opinion. The drying step really helps. I just do the salt and baking powder rub when not frying.
I have made these on the WSM too, minus the batter and using the finishing sauce as a glaze. Super tasty.

A bit different, I was craving that thin crust deep fried hot wings you can only get at good Korean BBQ.

So here we go. Key to making the crispy wings is all in the batter. It's pretty simple but there are a few key ingredients.

First you want to do is air dry your wings. Mix 1/4 cup of corn starch (this is needed if frying, but optional if not), 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt. I do this in a ziplock. This about enough for 1 pound. Coat the wings completely with the mixture. Place the wings on a rack over a pan and place in fridge. Best to do this overnight, minimum time is 1 hour.

While waiting for the wings to dry mix up the finishing sauce. I made a sweet spicy sauce.

1/4 cup gochujang (I used Sambal Oelek)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

When your wings have dried it's time to fry. I used peanut oil and run the temp around 350-370.

While the oil is heating up its time to make the batter.

For the batter you need 1/2 cup corn starch, 1/2 cup flour 1/2 cup vodka, 1/2 +/- cup water, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Mix everything together except water. Slowly whisk in water watch the consistency. The batter needs to ribbon off the whisk when raised and it should disappear into the batter. I used Bend distillery hatch chili vodka. It did add a bit of heat to the batter.

When the oils hot working in batches place 3-4 wings in batter. Pull out and allow batter to drain off chicken. Place in oil. Rotate and move chicken around. Pull out when chicken is golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Repeat until done.

Sauce and Serve!

b32b45f1776eee93c4839d242ab83e28.jpg

22fd58a7d7fe6e4e440971dd30ea2bec.jpg

a364ccf0dd5807c3e8dc54d7c152c0eb.jpg

fa386bce0fa08a0dd1706878105871c9.jpg

8052d747df93f7cc84d4e5fcace4b959.jpg

e5733e01f6ec44c28f0ebffca4acff83.jpg

8e527135c296201830b03ce326c13d8c.jpg

Smoke away!!!

Thanks, Case! I will be making these shortly. Appreciate the recipe.

If you don't mind, got a coupla questions for you about the discada...What's the depth? Also, how is it at maintaining the oil temp?

Thanks, man. Those wings look killer.

Thanks, Case! I will be making these shortly. Appreciate the recipe.

If you don't mind, got a coupla questions for you about the discada...What's the depth? Also, how is it at maintaining the oil temp?

Thanks, man. Those wings look killer.
Thanks TC!
The depth of the discada Is 2 1/2 inches in the middle. The overall width of the disc is 23 inches. The disc maintains heat really well. The thickness of the disc in the middle is almost 9/16 of an inch. With the oil level being minimal it really holds the heat. Because of the lower depth it doesn’t take as much oil as if you were using say a Dutch oven. Does a really good job of frying food. The only thing I’d like to do different to the desk is to add two more handles so that I could hang it. I’ve been thinking when we first made it I would’ve put three handles on it instead of two.

I’ll look forward to seeing your wing cook. hopefully it turns out great for you they’re really tasty. If you don’t have hatch chili vodka any vodka will work. The alcohol and the vodka is what makes the batter lateIf you don’t have hatch chili vodka any vodka will work. The alcohol and the vodka is what makes the batter lighter.

Thanks TC!
The depth of the discada Is 2 1/2 inches in the middle. The overall width of the disc is 23 inches. The disc maintains heat really well. The thickness of the disc in the middle is almost 9/16 of an inch. With the oil level being minimal it really holds the heat. Because of the lower depth it doesn’t take as much oil as if you were using say a Dutch oven. Does a really good job of frying food. The only thing I’d like to do different to the desk is to add two more handles so that I could hang it. I’ve been thinking when we first made it I would’ve put three handles on it instead of two.

I’ll look forward to seeing your wing cook. hopefully it turns out great for you they’re really tasty. If you don’t have hatch chili vodka any vodka will work. The alcohol and the vodka is what makes the batter lateIf you don’t have hatch chili vodka any vodka will work. The alcohol and the vodka is what makes the batter lighter.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Case. Didn't realize you made that! It's awesome.

I feel ***tty that I haven't posted any pics in two years. I will rectify that shortly.

Back